PDA

View Full Version : .:: Has your dog converted you? ::.

Muddy4paws
04-06-2006, 06:55 PM
Would you get the same breed of dog again?

Some people dont understand me when I say I love my lab and Jack Russell but I wouldn't get the same breed again, I think I would prefer to go and explore with other breeds, I also dont think I could deal with the same charactaristics of the same breed when my two go, I think it would upset me quite abit.
Does anyone else understand that or is it just me?

Are you planning on getting the same breed as you have or have had in the past?

Alysser
04-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Nope, I'm getting a mutt. A purebred MALTESE mutt that is! Of course, she'll have some other breeds in her!;)

PinkSunshine
04-06-2006, 07:05 PM
Definitely. I was in love with yorkies long before I got Bailey (almost 10 years) and can't imagine my life without one know that I know these little lovers... As far as dogue's go, another resounding "Yes!" I knew nothing about the breed prior to my fiance suggesting one when we were looking for a dog, and again, now that I have one in my life, I can't see NOT having one.. Or 2 or 3 :D

Pembroke_Corgi
04-06-2006, 07:41 PM
I can understand wanting to have other breeds, it's nice to get to know dogs with different charcteristics. But, I have to say, I will always have a corgi! For me corgis are the perfect fit for my personality and I think we are good for each other, but I like other breeds too. :) Adele is a mutt, well 1/2 greyhound and it's fun guessing what else she might be (we think JRT) and she has a unique personality, so I definately like mutts too. Maybe sometime in the future I will have another breed, though!

zoomer
04-06-2006, 08:24 PM
My mom probubly wont let us get any other dogs but Boxers :rolleyes: But my dad really wants a Manchester Terrier... but if the question is 'WOULD you get the same breed of dog again', it's definetly a YES.

BC_MoM
04-06-2006, 08:36 PM
Well, I use to say I'll always have a Border Collie and nothing else.. but hey.. that would get boring! Or at least IMO.

Molly is the first second of a breed we've had in our lives.

sammy101
04-06-2006, 08:38 PM
The only purebreds that we've had was a Dalmatian and a Beagle.I would get a Dalmatian again,maybe a Beagle.I want to stick with larger whens for a while. :)

lute
04-06-2006, 08:59 PM
i will always have a great dane if i can. if a husky is ever offerd to me chances are i'll take it. huskies grow on me more every day.

.sarah
04-06-2006, 09:12 PM
YES! Labs are the perfect breed for me and I can't see myself not owning one!

I also hope to own another Dachshund one day, and I want many, many more mutts in my life (unfortunately won't happen until I'm out on my own - my parents want Labs and Labs only from now on.)

I do hope to experience many other breeds. A few that come to mind are Great Danes (actually this is a breed that I hope to never live without once I get the first one), Flat Coated Retrievers, Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs, Mastiffs, Collies, and Golden Retrievers (particularly a rescue senior Golden ... there's just something about "old gold" :D).

dab_20
04-06-2006, 09:30 PM
I think I will get another Cocker when I'm older. I would like a Poodle, it's just I cannot keep up with their fur!! Cocker's are easier to groom because they have straighter hair. I love both my dogs breeds, though!!

IRescue452
04-06-2006, 09:37 PM
There will probably always be at least one cocker spaniel in my life, but I'd also like to explore other breeds. One of the benefits of adopting older dogs, not in a selfish way, is that you get to experience more dogs. They get a good, loving home that they deserve, but of course they aren't around as long. I personally can't resist the charm of an older dog or cat. I can't help but want to take them all home.

Toby's my baby
04-06-2006, 09:39 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love all of my fur babies to death, but I think I would like to get a different breed next time. Of all three of our dogs, none of them have the same breeds in them, and I love that, because they all have such different personalities. I would LOVE to own a Chihuahua someday, and a great dane, or other large dog. I would take just about anything though :p

*sled_dog*
04-06-2006, 09:40 PM
I know I will always have a husky for sure and a aussie in my family!
Huskies have always been my favorite! I started out with one and now I have 6 of them(and have had other different ones)! :rolleyes:.(yes I did plan for that ;) ). And aussies are just an all around fun dog! :D. Someday though I would like to experience other breeds.

Lori Jordan
04-06-2006, 10:11 PM
Always will own a Aussie and husband will always have a Border Collie never a Newf again!!! there great dogs but i dont like the mess!

cyber-sibes
04-06-2006, 10:29 PM
I'd definitely get another husky. I like seeing all the breeds at the dogpark. Although, I wouldn't mind another rottie mix like my RB Rosie, she was such a sweetie!

Lori Jordan
04-06-2006, 10:30 PM
They are very sweet dogs i had one i lost back in Nov 2000 Bruno he was 14 what a great dog ill post a pic if you like!

Lori Jordan
04-06-2006, 10:32 PM
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i79/JamieLori/1167195810.jpg

binka_nugget
04-06-2006, 11:25 PM
I haven't been totally converted.. =P I LOVE Shelties and will probably get another couple in the future. My heart belongs to herding breeds though.. they're all similar enough in temperments but still have their subtle differences. I'd love to get a Belgian Malinois, Border Collie and Collie in the future.

cali
04-07-2006, 12:09 AM
I was not overly keen on Border Collies before I got Happy, but I am converted, its not a breed you can get bored with owning because they are all so different, totally differnt looks and totally differnt personalitys. I mean I have 2 and they are polar opposites, but they both have the attributes that I LOVE abouts BCs. how do you get bored? they are the best breed ever, and I will always have them, I'm hooked.

Tollers-n-Dobes
04-07-2006, 01:11 AM
No, I wouldn't say as my dogs have converted me. Before I got Tango, I knew I wanted a Toller so she had nothing to do with that (actually, I call her my Border Collie in disguise...lol...she's much more BC than Toller eventhough the breeds are similar). Tango has enforced the fact however that I will always have a high energy, extremely intelligent dog. So she's more influenced me on what sort of personality/temperament I want in a dog instead of converting me to a certain breed. I'll always have atleast one Toller. I would like to have a few more Rottweilers aswell as they're what I've grown up with and always had, I love the breed, I can say that each Rott I've had has converted me to the breed because if I didn't have them, they aren't really a breed I'd have ever considered having. I'm very doubtful that I'll ever have another Doberman (simply because our friend who breeds them is only going to have a couple more litters and she has the nicest Dobes I've ever met...both in appearance and temperament) or another Dachshund (I'm not a small dog person at all, I might have another some day when I'm elderly and maybe won't be able t0 have larger dogs though). All of that being said, I'd also like to have a few other breeds, not sure if I'll get all of them but a few I have in mind are the: Belgian Groenendael, Field Lab and Australian Shepherd.

Lori Jordan
04-07-2006, 08:26 AM
I was actually looking at the Toller a couple months ago,do you have any pictures of your Toller we all could see?

MomToThree
04-07-2006, 09:13 AM
For the most part my dog has converted myself and hubby.. We have already said that we would love to get another doberman. Maybe a puppy next time through a resuce? Who knows, but we will go through rescues from now on. I would love to have a rott, and a huskey some day.

4 Dog Mother
04-07-2006, 09:16 AM
My husband thought airdales were prissy dogs until we got Jack. Now he thinks he always wants one. As for me, I just want dogs, I don't care what they are! Although after having Pippi, I think I would always like to have a little one to be my "lap dog". And yes I know big dogs can be lap dogs as my 65 lb. Snoopy often is but I really like the smallness of Pipsqueak!

lvpets2002
04-07-2006, 11:20 AM
:) MMMM not really.. I love dogs & all animals the same.. I will state that out of my three (two are pure breeds & one is a mix) my mix breed is the best mannered & has no bad habits.. Oh there is one habit she has & that is to try to get her huge body in momma's lap.. :D

king2005
04-07-2006, 12:42 PM
I would never want to get another dog that looks like a past dog, thats why I think Mutts are great, you can have 2 with the same breeds in them, but they look nothing alike. So a black lab is out of the question for me. I'm looking for A rottie soon.

Lori Jordan
04-07-2006, 12:56 PM
They always say Mutts are the best dogs to have.i have always owned mixed dogs until i got out on my own,i think next time around i might go to the shelter they need homes more!!

luvofallhorses
04-07-2006, 01:02 PM
I certainly would. :)

I want a purebred rottie someday (rescued of course..:)), Jenny is a rottie/lab mix and I love her to death..I would get another hound, Buster is a hound and such a character. I would definately get another lab and of course I'd get a mutt any day. :) but I am more than happy with the dogs I have now..:D

and any dog I get in the future is going to be from a shelter/rescue. :)

also, I do want a pit bull someday. :)

k9krazee
04-07-2006, 01:12 PM
I love my terrors to death but I really don't see myself owning another terrier in the future. I love Rotties, and always want one in my life, I am definately head over heels for the breed ;) As for mutts, (like J man) I always, always will love mutts! They are such a surprise package and I love that aspect and hope to have many more throughout my life. My heart really lies in the herding and sporting groups though.

BitsyNaceyDog
04-07-2006, 03:25 PM
I think we'll always have a chihuahua, Justin would have a houseful of them if he could. I think Buster converted Justin. I've loved chihuahuas since I was a little girl and my great-grandma had a chihuahua named Midgey.

I would absolutely have another min pin. I liked the breed before I got Charlie though.

I was never too big on pugs until I met Nacey, she absolutely converted me, I'd definitely have another.

I love and adore Bitsy to no end, but I don't think I'll ever have another pom, the hair is a pain.

Nova is a mini-mutt and the best one I know! I'd absolutely have another mutt. I liked mutts before her though.

BORDER COLLIE LOVER
04-07-2006, 06:41 PM
Im totally hooked on my Border Collies. I have a Toy Poodle but all he does is sleep! Borders come in so many colors, eye colors, coat lenghts, ears up down or in between. I have 3 and want another.
I would like to try
Aussies
Collies rough coated
Berners
Tollers
Soft Coated Wheaton Terrier
Husky

I just like dogs with fur it seems!

Lori Jordan
04-07-2006, 07:24 PM
You would love the Aussie very nice dogs!!

CathyBogart
04-07-2006, 08:36 PM
No. I will never have another feral mix again. I love Star with every bit of me but I never want to do this again. She is SO much work, constantly, she has so many issues that are so hard to work through, and after all of the work my family puts into keeping her happy...she's just not very affectionate, couldn't really care less if we're around or not, and it hurts me.

Wilbur....well, let me just say that anytime in the future that I'm looking for a dog, the dog MUST ALREADY BE HOUSEBROKEN!! It has been FOUR YEARS of constant vigilance with this dog, and even then he still has accidents in the house on a weekly basis. He makes up for it by being a cuddle-bug though. :)

Roxyluvsme13
04-07-2006, 08:50 PM
YES! I wouldn't trade my Mutt or Pom for the world. Of course, I'll probably have other dogs, plus those breeds in the future.

buttercup132
04-07-2006, 09:02 PM
Yes Thunder is part German Sheperd and I am starting to really like the breed. Also Rockee is mixed with lab and I like them too the show quality ones(also I like them thanks to .Sara:p :D )

bckrazy
04-07-2006, 09:06 PM
I love Border Collies to pieces, and I will hopefully always have at least one! ;) I have yet to meet a dog that is anything like a BC, and there definitely is a huge variety of looks and personalities in the breed. I've yet to find out if Corgi's will convert me - but, probably YES! ^^

I know I'll never have a dog that is lazy, aloof, or that isn't particularly loyal to their family and will solicit anyone for attention. I really love dogs that are friendly but picky with who they show affection to, because they have the most affection to show to their family and friends... that's exactly how Gonzo is.