PDA

View Full Version : Prayers for K9 Karen

Logan
04-06-2006, 08:42 AM
I posted in the prayer request thread, earlier, this morning, but I'm afraid no one ever checks there anymore, so I'm repeating it here:
Prayers for K9 Karen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iti s strange that she was the last one to post on this thread, now I'm here, asking for prayers for her.

Karen's wrist was broken badly yesterday and required surgery. She is in the hospital and will perhaps be home by Friday if all goes well. John says that she was in the backyard playing with Logan and a puppy they have been watching and the neighbor's dogs came full speed at the puppy. In trying to protect the puppy, from the large dogs, her wrist was broken. " She fell on top of the puppy to protect it and in the process got her wrist broken to the point she was afraid to pull her hand out of the dogs mouth for fear of losing it entirely." This information came from her friend, John. She is apparently looking at a 4 month recovery period and physical therapy.

Rachel, Pam, Sandra or I can keep you posted as we hear more.

Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. She's had a rough time of it in the last year or so.

Logan

lv4dogs
04-06-2006, 08:49 AM
Oh no, thats terrible. She will be in my thoughts & prayers thats for sure. hugs sweetie

Do you know how the dogs are? Did they get hurt?

lizbud
04-06-2006, 08:55 AM
How terrible. I'm so sorry this happened to her. Of course, Karen will
be in my prayers for a complete recovery. I don't understand, was the fall
the cause of the break, or the neighbors dog?

Cataholic
04-06-2006, 08:56 AM
OMG! How horrible! Prayers for Karen that her recovery is smooth, her pain level managed, and full, full recovery. Thanks for letting us know, I did miss the first post.

Keep us updated, please.

Logan
04-06-2006, 08:59 AM
I wish I knew more details, but I don't at this time. Rachel is going to call her later today and if she has more information, I'm sure she will post it here. I know that Karen had the joy of playing with a neighbor's little pittie puppy last week and I can only assume that is the puppy in question. I do think Logan (the dog) must be just fine, since John did not mention any injuries to her in his email and I'm also assuming the puppy is fine. What I don't know is what happened with the dogs that attacked, whether they jumped the fence or what. I knew she had 3 big dogs in the yard behind her that have been making her a bit nervous, but they have never been this aggressive. The presence of the puppy must have set them off.

Logan

slick
04-06-2006, 09:01 AM
Oh no.....this is such terrible news. You are in my thoughts and prayers, Karen.

Ginger's Mom
04-06-2006, 09:02 AM
Oh I am so sorry to hear this. Prayers going out for Karen to have a quick and relatively pain-free recovery.

Pawsitive Thinking
04-06-2006, 09:06 AM
Poor Karen. Prayers heading her way

Cinder & Smoke
04-06-2006, 09:09 AM
Hi God ~

Prayers for Miz Karen and her sore wrist-paw!

Please heal her up an send her home ASAP.

/s/ the Prayer Pups

ramanth
04-06-2006, 09:09 AM
Poor Karen! :( I hope she recovers quickly. I broke my wrist many years ago and the pain was just tremendous. *hugs*

pitc9
04-06-2006, 09:13 AM
Prayers for her.....

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-06-2006, 09:31 AM
Ouchie! Sending out good thoughts and prayers that she is home soon and has a complete recovery. :(

Barbara
04-06-2006, 09:41 AM
Sending all my best thoughts for Karen!

king2005
04-06-2006, 09:45 AM
oh no, sending get well wishes.

Karen
04-06-2006, 09:51 AM
Ouch! Was it her dominant hand or nondominant? In either case, she'll be in our prayers.

Vela
04-06-2006, 09:55 AM
That's terrible! Give her our best wishes and I will say prayers for her that she recovers as quickly as possible and has no lasting ill effects from such a nasty break. How brave of her to save the puppy like that at such a cost to herself! We all hope you feel better very soon.

k9krazee
04-06-2006, 09:56 AM
Ouch!! Sending get well vibes and hoping for a fast recovery!!

luvofallhorses
04-06-2006, 10:26 AM
prayers on the way.

Logan
04-06-2006, 10:38 AM
Rachel spoke with Karen and she has a terrible head ache, maybe from the pain meds. She couldn't talk too long. Thankfully, her brother came home, at just the right time, and was able to help her. John was there, but unfortunately, wasn't outdoors with her, at the time.

We just need to be thankful that the dogs and Karen are going to be ok.

Will keep you updated as I learn more.

Logan

Logan
04-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Karen, best I can remember, our K9 Karen is right handed.......I hope so. :)

Killearn Kitties
04-06-2006, 10:46 AM
This is just awful! What else can happen to poor Karen? Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Randi
04-06-2006, 10:55 AM
Thank you for telling us, Logan. Poor Karen! :( Please give her my best wishes. I hope she'll recover and not be in pain.

gini
04-06-2006, 11:17 AM
Oh, what a horrible thing to have happen. It must have been so painful for her.

Logan, thanks so much for letting us know. You can count on my prayers and good thoughts that she has a speedy recovery.

anna_66
04-06-2006, 11:33 AM
Logan I just seen this in the prayer thread. I'm glad you posted it here too so more people will see.
Acting like a mom protecting her young, yep that's our Karen:D

.sarah
04-06-2006, 11:33 AM
Oh no! Poor Karen! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

shais_mom
04-06-2006, 12:20 PM
OUCH!
Poor thing.
Will keep her in my prayers.

Rachel
04-06-2006, 03:58 PM
I called again a few minutes ago. Karen was asleep but her brother answered the phone so apparently he is sitting with her at the hospital. When I spoke with her this morning she mentioned that a number of bones in her hand were crushed. She underwent a surgery last night and I guess they told her she would have to have more surgery on this hand in the future. She also said how traumatic this whole incident was for her. Please keep her in your prayers.

Lori Jordan
04-06-2006, 04:01 PM
My prayers are with her

Karen
04-06-2006, 04:07 PM
I called again a few minutes ago. Karen was asleep but her brother answered the phone so apparently he is sitting with her at the hospital. When I spoke with her this morning she mentioned that a number of bones in her hand were crushed. She underwent a surgery last night and I guess they told her she would have to have more surgery on this hand in the future. She also said how traumatic this whole incident was for her. Please keep her in your prayers.

That sounds worse than a broken wrist! Poor Karen! I hope they will be able to reconstruct all the bones and that she regains full, and pain-free function of her hand.

momoffuzzyfaces
04-06-2006, 05:21 PM
Prayers are on the way from me too! :(

Daisy and Delilah
04-06-2006, 06:01 PM
My thoughts and prayers are going to Karen. Sorry to hear this news. Please be okay Karen! :(

Alysser
04-06-2006, 06:20 PM
K9karen, I think it was very heroic what you did for that puppy. But of course, I'm so sorry you broke your wrist. I hope you get better as soon as possible!

chocolatepuppy
04-06-2006, 06:28 PM
What a terrible thing to have happen! :( My thoughts and prayers will be with Karen.

Anita Cholaine
04-06-2006, 06:48 PM
Gosh, that's so terrible! :( Of course you will be in my prayers, Karen...

Cincy'sMom
04-06-2006, 07:20 PM
Many thoughts and prayers for Karen!

gini
04-07-2006, 12:29 AM
Bless her heart - and I am sure it is plenty painful. Prayers to continue that eventually with surgery they will be able to put her back together again and her hand will be alright.

pnance
04-07-2006, 12:55 AM
Prayers on the way...

krazyaboutkatz
04-07-2006, 01:20 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this terrible news.:( Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent Karen's way.

K9soul
04-07-2006, 10:21 AM
I am so sorry to see this :(. Karen is in my thoughts and prayers, bless her heart. :(

Logan
04-07-2006, 10:44 AM
I just spoke with her in the hospital. She has been discharged and as soon as her IV bag of antibiotics runs out and she has had lunch, they will let her go home. Her brother, Richard, was with her.

Both bones, the Ulna and the Radius, were broken. One has been pinned and the other one is shattered. I'm sorry I can't remember which one she said was shattered and which was pinned, surgically. The breaks occured as a result of the bite from the dog, not from her falling. :( She has a puncture wound on her ear (don't know whether the puppy did this or the other dogs) and she apparently was bitten on her scalp, too, as she has dried blood in her hair.

Karen's biggest concern right now is getting the use of her hand and arm back. She will go through physical therapy, as soon as she can, and will have to have additional surgery to remove the pins. This is a major setback for her since she has finally started feeling better from her back surgeries. :(

Although I didn't read her the responses from Pet Talk, she did ask me to please thank you all for keeping her in your prayers. She won't be able to type, but I imagine she will be coming here to read, so please keep up your responses to her for support. I think there are a lot of us who wish we were closer to be able to help her out.

I know that many of you are probably curious about "what dogs" did this to her and how it could have happened. It seems that the dogs dug under the fence to get to that puppy. So sad. :( I don't want to start any controversy, as the main thing, right now, is to get Karen better, and thankfully the puppy and Logan are ok, too, so I didn't mention the breed here. And we don't know "where" the dogs that attacked are right now, either. If Karen decides to disclose more later, I'm going to let her do that. It is a sad situation and I do not know what will become of the two dogs who came into her yard. She has heard nothing from the neighbor who owns them.

Thank you all for caring so much about our wonderful friend.

Logan

lvpets2002
04-07-2006, 10:51 AM
:( I am so sorry to hear this Karen & I hope you are not in pain.. Get Well soon.. Me & the girls send lots of Whisker Hugs & Prayers..........

king2005
04-07-2006, 10:52 AM
the poor lady & how so brave of her to toss her own body inbetween a helpless puppy & an agressive dog. I still wish her well & will keep her in my thoughts

Donnaj4962
04-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Oh my... I am just reading this thread. How terrible. The whole thing sounds very painful. Poor Karen. Lots of prayers and warm wishes that she heals quickly and is able to regain the use of her hand soon. I had surgery on my left (nondominant) thumb/wrist in November, and the pain was actually rather tolerable! I am sure hers will be worse as her injury sounds much more traumatic. I, too, had physical therapy, and while my wrist tired easily, it truly helped. Please offer Karen my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Cataholic
04-07-2006, 11:16 AM
Just checking in to wish an even speedier recovery than before. Ouch. Sounds pretty painful, even from a distance. :(

Barbara
04-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Karen I am so sorry!

I hope everything heals well - then you can start to work on getting the use of your hand back.

I am so glad to hear the puppy is ok- it looks as if you obviously saved its life. :)

RobiLee
04-07-2006, 11:38 AM
Oh no! I'm just now reading all this. Karen, I'm so sorry that this happened to you. You are most definitely in my thoughts and prayers. I hope the recovery will be speedy. i just keep sitting here hoping that you aren't in too much pain. {{HUGS}}

Thanks for keeping us updated, Logan.

lizbud
04-07-2006, 12:29 PM
Oh, I feel so sorry for Karen. Reading these updates, I see the damage
was much worse that I thought. :( Thank you Rachel & Logan for keeping
everyone up to date on things.My prayers continue for Karen's complete
recovery.

joanofark
04-07-2006, 12:43 PM
Oh No!!!! You'll be in my thoughts and prayers!! :(

pitc9
04-07-2006, 01:16 PM
:eek: OMG!!
Thanks for keeping us all updated!!

.sarah
04-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Thank you for the update, Logan. This is so heartbreaking to read. Poor Karen :(

dukedogsmom
04-07-2006, 02:11 PM
I am so sorry I just now saw this. I hope she'll be alright. I'm also hoping this didn't cause more problems wirh her back. Leave it to a true PTer to get injured this way. Karen, I'm going to call you. Call me when you can.

anna_66
04-07-2006, 02:38 PM
Logan I'm just reading your update and how terrible, so sad:(
Please tell dear Karen that I hope she starts feeling a bit better
soon. And tell her I send lot and lots of {{{HUGS}}}.