PDA

View Full Version : Spam control at the office

sasvermont
04-05-2006, 02:10 PM
Our firm (20 employees) has been plagued with tons and tons of spam. Some of the attorneys downloaded Cloudmark for their workstations, and although the software is not expensive, it slows down Outlook and emails.

Anyway, we bought a chunk of hardware for $2,000 and for an additional $350 per year, our "Barracuda" purchase now handles all our emails/spam before they hit Outlook and our server. We ended up buying a little server, to take care of our big server.

I cannot tell you how much it catches and how much time and space it is saving us!

This hardware/software is worth every penny! and we've only had it working since last Friday. We get around 17,000 emails a day, of which 16,000 are spam! That comes out to over 5,840,000 emails (including spam) a year!

Just thought I would share this information for all those who might want to afford $2,000 plus to stop their spam at work.

SAS

slick
04-05-2006, 02:17 PM
We installed the Barracuda Firewall here last year and it has made a world of difference. Sometimes it's too good, and I have to log in to allow emails to come through for specific users.

Fender963
04-05-2006, 02:20 PM
We installed the Barracuda Firewall here last year and it has made a world of difference. Sometimes it's too good, and I have to log in to allow emails to come through for specific users.
That's one of the biggest problems when it comes to combatting spam. Spammers are getting particularly crafty making it very difficult for automated systems to detect what is spam, and what is a good email.

sasvermont
04-05-2006, 03:07 PM
I think they say that they catch 80% of the spam. So far, nothing has been kept out that shouldn't have been kept out. We don't have the spam control feature cranked down to the lowest.

So far, all is running smoothly. I just love it. Leaves more time for me to post to Pet Talk! :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Edwina's Secretary
04-05-2006, 03:19 PM
I am so glad you posted this! It prompted me to take a look at my Spam and I found three very important correspondents who were being filtered out! I was able to change to allow.

So....unintended benefit....Thanks!