PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Question

jackie
04-05-2006, 11:19 AM
Can you cook eggs and potatoes together in the same pot, say if you were making potato salad? I know that eggs would need far less time then potatoes, but asside from that, is there another reason?

I was watching a celeb cooking show and the host flipped because he caught someone cooking the two together.

What is the big deal?

slick
04-05-2006, 11:24 AM
I've done it before with no problems. It's just a timing thing. I put the potatoes in first and let them boil for about 5 min. Then I put the eggs in and let them boil for about 5 min. Then I turned the whole thing off and let it sit for another 5-10 min...checking on the potatoes making sure they don't get too soft. When making potato salad I prefer to use the small yukon golds or the little red ones.

RedHedd
04-05-2006, 02:18 PM
Uh oh .... is this going to turn into an exploding potatoes thread? :D :p

slick
04-05-2006, 02:22 PM
Uh oh .... is this going to turn into an exploding potatoes thread? :D :p :D :D :D The thought crossed my mind this morning that this could turn into another "how to cook" thread. We could even suggest combo cooking, such as broccoli and cauliflower together, or peas and carrots make a good combination. How about sweet potatoes and squash together. Hmmmm, lunch time and I'm getting hungry. :p

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-05-2006, 03:01 PM
Uh oh .... is this going to turn into an exploding potatoes thread? :D :p
:D I was wondering the same thing....and actually....I was boiling some eggs the other day, got caught up doing something else and forgot about the eggs....didn't explode them, but the water was half gone out of the pot by the time I remembered. Needless to say, PT came to mind. ;) :D :p :D

Sorry, Jackie, didn't mean to change the subject, but seeing as how I'm the one that had to ask about boiling eggs, I really don't think I should be providing input on boiling eggs and potatoes, especially at the same time!! :D

lvpets2002
04-05-2006, 03:53 PM
:) Well MMMM I want to see how this turns out.. I have never tried egg & potato cooking together, but!!! I will have to keep up with this thread for the results.. :D

Lizzie
04-05-2006, 04:49 PM
I'm confused. Do you mean you put peeled and cut up potatoes on to boil and then add eggs in their shell? Or do you mean you turn it down to simmer and poach the eggs? I can't imagine putting eggs in their shell in with potatoes because there is always the concern of salmonella on the shells which would become active in the heat of the water and pass on to the cooking potatoes.

moosmom
04-05-2006, 05:17 PM
I've also cooked eggs along with pasta or potatoes. But, the eggs remained in the shell while cooking. Don't know if I'd cook raw eggs out of the shell with potatoes though.

BitsyNaceyDog
04-05-2006, 05:46 PM
I really have no idea, I'm not too good of a cook. I, myself, wouldn't chance it because I know I'd mess it up.

I can't imagine putting eggs in their shell in with potatoes because there is always the concern of salmonella on the shells which would become active in the heat of the water and pass on to the cooking potatoes.
Wouldn't the heat kill the salmonella?

:D I was wondering the same thing....and actually....I was boiling some eggs the other day, got caught up doing something else and forgot about the eggs....didn't explode them, but the water was half gone out of the pot by the time I remembered. Needless to say, PT came to mind. ;) :D :p :D
I recently did the same thing. :rolleyes:

moosmom
04-05-2006, 06:21 PM
Speaking of exploding eggs...

I was boiling eggs for my lunch the next day and forgot about them. I left them on the stove and went to bed. I had hard boiled egg on the ceiling, the floor and the walls.

IRescue452
04-05-2006, 09:38 PM
I boiled eggs in my dorm room today for a salad. I figured it was my turn to make the whole hall smell. Haha sweet revenge! I don't see why you couldn't cook them together, isn't the salmonella there in the eggs whether or not the potatoes are present?