PDA

View Full Version : Should there be an age limit

Pawsitive Thinking
04-05-2006, 10:33 AM
Just curious to know what you think about there being an age limit for dog walkers. I've seem some very small children walking some very large dogs where I live and it scares the heck out of me!

Karen
04-05-2006, 10:47 AM
It depends on the dog - seriously. Our St. Bernard Bruni (and Freckles before her) loved little kids and was extremely good on a leash - my niece Jess could, at the age of four, walk the 150-pound dog, no problem.

Pawsitive Thinking
04-05-2006, 10:52 AM
It depends on the dog - seriously. Our St. Bernard Bruni (and Freckles before her) loved little kids and was extremely good on a leash - my niece Jess could, at the age of four, walk the 150-pound dog, no problem.

and get a ride home if she got tired ;)

king2005
04-05-2006, 12:33 PM
My old guy was the same way, a 2yr old was leading him in circles & he loved it, as he was VERY fond of kids, the smaller the better. He even knew how to cross the street, so there was no worries incase the kid & dog wondered off. He was also protective & smart about it, so there was no harm in it.

When my friend & I use to walk the guard dog (200p Rottie), he could have easly over powered us & went on a rampage. But he was a great walker. if he didn't like something he would lundge to the end of his chain & NOT a step further (we gave him a foot). He was really a wonderful dog, you just had to know the rules & commands, as he was a trained guard dog & he was GREAT at his work & kinda scary too. We were the only non-family members able to get near his owners car, open it & take him out for a walk.

His owner couldn't walk him as he though he was on duty & would go nuts (not good on a walk). So the owner showed us how to win him over & a few commands. The only bad thing that the Rottie did (by accident) was he jumpped up on me while playing & I fell & he fell on me & cracked several of my ribs, de-winded me & then wouldn't let anyone touch me while I was whining & squirming on the ground :rolleyes:

Once on a walk this itty bitty super old lady really wanted to pet him. We said we don't think its a good idea, but Cezar had made up his own mind about the situation & wanted to see her. She grabbed his big old head & gave him some kisses & he was sooo gentle with her (it was like he knew she was harmeless & fragile).. dang I miss that dog (I'm assuming he's already passed away)

jackie
04-05-2006, 12:47 PM
Depends on the dogs and the child.

I regularly let the neighbors three kids walk my dogs, one is 13, and the twins are 11. (they donīt leave the block)

BOBS DAD
04-05-2006, 12:50 PM
I believe there should be an age limit on just about everything in this life. I am sorry if others disagree, but there are more issues to consider besides if the individual is (physically) capable.

Of coursemost children (and even very small children) are capable of physically walking a dog. Any dog - as long as the dog cooperates. And if you believe the dog is cooperative, well trained and well behaved, there will most likely not be any issues. Except for when the unexpected occurs. The dog sees a cat and wants to run after it. He swallows bubble gum he found on the sidewalk and he's choking. A car veers off the road and hits him. Someone trys steal the dog. He suddenly goes into an epileptic fit. These are all unforseen possibilities that can and do occasionally happen. An older individual will be more responsible and capable of handling an emergency or even perhaps avoiding one because of their level of maturity.

An older walker will know to call authorities and emergency personnel and may likely have a cell phone at their disposal. They will also be better equipped to avoid potential preventable incidents.

And so in short, I say Yes... a good age for responsibly walking a dog might be between 8-10 for short local walks and maybe 12 and older for longer, out of sight excursions. It's not the dog that you are worried about... it's usually the walker. I myself wouldn't let a 2 year old cross the street alone, let alone with a dog leading the way. And yes, if they wandered off together, I would be CRAZY with concern and would have the entire neighborhood and the police searching for them.

king2005
04-05-2006, 01:12 PM
I myself wouldn't let a 2 year old cross the street alone, let alone with a dog leading the way. And yes, if they wandered off together, I would be CRAZY with concern and would have the entire neighborhood and the police searching for them.

Thats not really what I ment. I should have added, they are in the yard, but if they snuck off while we blinked (we were on a ground deck, with a full view of the yard), the dog wouldn't cross the road, as you need a command (or me) to get his butt off the ground & he knows moving cars are bad & will stay clear. So if doo doo happened & they got out of the yard, they wouldn't get very far or get a chance to run across the street & get hit by a car.

I wouldn't let them walk down the street or anything, thats stupid! But going for a walk in the yard was harmless with him. He had no prey drive, no desire to even leave the yard without me (he never went out of eye sight as I was his #1 priority), didn't have to worry about someone trying to steal him or her, as 80p of angry dog (he was a lab, rottie & pitty mix, so he was thin, fast, smart & stupid strong) is something NO one wants to deal with. With him she was safe.

When my sister was 8yrs old & Max was 4 months old (I thought he was 6months old in other posts, but I was mistaken), 2 men wanted to pet him & he scared them off without over powering my sister. Hes been a smart dog since day 1.

Thats why we allowed a 2yr old to walk him around.

Miss Z
04-05-2006, 01:15 PM
Of coursemost children (and even very small children) are capable of physically walking a dog. Any dog - as long as the dog cooperates. And if you believe the dog is cooperative, well trained and well behaved, there will most likely not be any issues. Except for when the unexpected occurs. The dog sees a cat and wants to run after it. He swallows bubble gum he found on the sidewalk and he's choking. A car veers off the road and hits him. Someone trys steal the dog. He suddenly goes into an epileptic fit. These are all unforseen possibilities that can and do occasionally happen. An older individual will be more responsible and capable of handling an emergency or even perhaps avoiding one because of their level of maturity.

And so in short, I say Yes... a good age for responsibly walking a dog might be between 8-10 for short local walks and maybe 12 and older for longer, out of sight excursions. It's not the dog that you are worried about... it's usually the walker. I myself wouldn't let a 2 year old cross the street alone, let alone with a dog leading the way. And yes, if they wandered off together, I would be CRAZY with concern and would have the entire neighborhood and the police searching for them.

Well said Bob's Dad, I agree 100%. I've walked my neighbours dog every now and again for three years, but when I was eleven, I always went with at least one other friend. Now I'm older and always have my mobile with me in case of an emergency it's OK for me to take Bonnie out by myself.

Unfortunately, there are so many things that can happen to a little kid whilst out alone, even with a dog. You never know who's walking the streets. And of course everything you mentioned about the dog suddenly becoming ill or being hit by a car.

Every day when I come home from school, there's always a little girl who can't be more than 5 that rides on her barbie bike to the newsagents and co-op to do her mum's daily grocery shopping. Her mum must be a serious risk taker to let her cross a main road with cars going at about 40mph to get the bread and milk:(

BOBS DAD
04-05-2006, 01:18 PM
I totally figured I was misreading you and "just not getting" your true meaning. Sounds much better (and as I expected) now. Sorry if I sounded like I was being critical - I was just popping off. Sounds like Max was a very smart and "great dog" to have around. Yes, in a yard and with supervision I can see how you would be very secure with an incredible guy like Max!!!

king2005
04-05-2006, 01:33 PM
I totally figured I was misreading you and "just not getting" your true meaning. Sounds much better (and as I expected) now. Sorry if I sounded like I was being critical - I was just popping off. Sounds like Max was a very smart and "great dog" to have around. Yes, in a yard and with supervision I can see how you would be very secure with an incredible guy like Max!!!

I'm not all that great in expressing my thoughts or whole thoughts, hehe
Thats why I assumed others were reading it differently.

Max was too good of a dog & I miss him dearly

BOBS DAD
04-05-2006, 03:27 PM
Come to think of it...

I think there should be an age limit on age!!! :confused: :D

Crazy-Cat-Lover
04-05-2006, 03:31 PM
I believe there should be an age limit on just about everything in this life. I am sorry if others disagree, but there are more issues to consider besides if the individual is (physically) capable.

An older walker will know to call authorities and emergency personnel and may likely have a cell phone at their disposal. They will also be better equipped to avoid potential preventable incidents.

I agree with you 100%. :D

Lady's Human
04-05-2006, 03:34 PM
If you are referring to a government imposed age limit, NO!

The government is already involved in far, far too many facets of life. Parents should be responsible for their children, and know what they are capable of. For that matter, people should be held accounatble for their own actions, which sadly is not the case in many situations.

sirrahved
04-05-2006, 09:10 PM
I think it depends on the dog and the child.

Karen
04-05-2006, 10:09 PM
In the example I mentioned, of course, my niece wasn't walking the dog very far, or without parental supervision. We wouldn't have let that happen. She was walking the dog in the neighborhood where we grew up. Everyone in the neighborhood knew the dog, and the dog knew everyone. Likewise the people.

Do I think just any chosen-at-random 4-year-old should be allowed to walk any dog anywhere? Of course not!

Common sense, folks!

VTJess03
04-07-2006, 06:44 PM
If you are referring to a government imposed age limit, NO!

The government is already involved in far, far too many facets of life. Parents should be responsible for their children, and know what they are capable of. For that matter, people should be held accountable for their own actions, which sadly is not the case in many situations.

I totally agree -- parents have already pawned off as much responsibility as possible onto school teachers, day care providers, etc.

Then again, think of the money that could come into your local municipality when we fine parents for not supervising their child/dog. :p

Lori Jordan
04-07-2006, 07:21 PM
This is a little off topic but in the lines of ***Age Limit*** On some of these threads,We talk about Suicide,Alcholism,and i just dont think that our young posters should be reading these kinds of things!!! Just my opinion!

Lady's Human
04-07-2006, 07:30 PM
Lori,

The youngest person I knew who attempted suicide was 12, so talking about it in a forum like this is not age inappropriate. Despite previous strong comments to the contrary in conversations with the mayor, I now see it as a good thing.

Alcoholism can start at young ages as well, I knew kids who started drinking as young as 13, and in the Army it wasn't unusual to talk to people who had started drinking before that.

Lori Jordan
04-07-2006, 07:37 PM
So you are pretty much saying it is ok for kids to read this stuff, Youngest kid that is in here now is 13 and im sorry i just do not think it is right for them to see this kinda stuff.Kids are influenced very easy!!! i would not have conversations of suicide or alcholism with my 13 yeard old daughter,and that is how old my youngest is!If she was thinking on the lines,your damn right i would get involved but i would not bring it up like an everyday conversation!!!

CathyBogart
04-07-2006, 08:22 PM
I think perhaps an age limit would be a good idea...but hard to enforce. Too many parents are too focused on their kids being the center of their world to realize that they're not the center of everyone else's too.

I'm recalling the incident a few weeks back where a mom had a young son holding the leash to their husky. The kid couldn't control the husky, and I was out walking a dog aggressive dog on-leash and wound up wading into a dogfight. What did the idiot mom do but hand the leash righ tback to the kid. Unfortuantely it's the people like that who would flat-out ignore an age limit IMO...

Karen
04-07-2006, 10:50 PM
So you are pretty much saying it is ok for kids to read this stuff, Youngest kid that is in here now is 13 and im sorry i just do not think it is right for them to see this kinda stuff.Kids are influenced very easy!!! i would not have conversations of suicide or alcholism with my 13 yeard old daughter,and that is how old my youngest is!If she was thinking on the lines,your damn right i would get involved but i would not bring it up like an everyday conversation!!!

Do you not want to discuss alcohol with your 13-year-old now, and warn her about the problems that people have with it? I can pretty much promise you she hears stuff about it at school, and any gathering place of people her age, and the information present on Pet Talk is a far more balanced discussion of the subject - and far more factual - than anything she's gonna hear from other 13-year-olds. I'd be willing to bet she also has a freind or classmate dealing with alcoholism in a family member, and though the 13-year-old probably isn't going to tell anyone about - and might not for years, any 13-year-old having some knowlege of it could not hurt in my humble opinion.

K9soul
04-07-2006, 11:14 PM

If people were in here condoning and encouraging alcoholism and suicide and saying it's cool, I would agree, but what is being presented I think is very educational and if I were 13 and read it would see that depression is dangerous and if my friend talked about wanting to die, I should take it seriously and tell someone. Same with the subject of alcoholism, if other kids tried to get me to drink, I would see what a serious problem it can be and would be less inclined. Just my 2 cents.

Tollers-n-Dobes
04-07-2006, 11:27 PM
Personally, I would never let anyone under the age of 14 walk my dogs eventhough they do behave on walks (adults would be my preference, although I would never hire a dog walker anyway). I think people should be atleast 14 years and up before they start walking other peoples' dogs for them, a dog is a dog and you never know what could happen. A responsible teen (though...I must admit, they seem to be very few and far between these days...and before anyone says aything, I am a teen). I think somebody over the age of 14 who is experienced with dogs would be able to take control over a situation, where as somebody around 10 years old could not do much IMO.

-------------------
Eventhough this is off topic, Lori Jordan, I don't see why people 13 and up shouldn't be allowed to read these sort of threads....topics such as the ones you mentioned are constantly being talked about in school by almost everyone so it's pretty much impossible to keep your child away from those sort of subjects. Some kids choose to get involved and others, like myself, have no desire to get invloved. It all depends on the individual, and I believe that by 13 years of age and older, you should be able to make wise, mature decisions. As long as we're in school, there is no way to get away from certain topics coming up...hopefully that made sense. It's not as if PT is encouraging us to go out and drink or anything like that so I don't believe we shouldn't be allowed to read certain threads just because of the topic.

Miss Z
04-08-2006, 03:58 AM
I think Karen made the minimal age for PT 13 for a reason, so that only mature young people would join. I know lots of 13 year olds who like animals but would feel embarrassed and 'un-cool' to come on here;) . Only teenagers who do not mind about that and really care about animals will join PT, and I think that shows maturity. Me, I've known about alcoholism, drugs etc for years. And anyway, don't most schools have lessons to teach teenagers about this stuff? I'm 14 and this year at school we have started sex education. It's not a lesson where we are told lots of bad things, but somewhere we are told informally about adult life. It's not offensive, repulsive or anything else, and if teenagers aren't going to be told now, then when? Before sex ed, the complementary studies was all about the effects of drugs and alcohol. Teenagers are young adults, and actually teenagers who are informed about these kind of issues are less likely to drink/take drugs in the future. That's from a teenager's point of view anyway:)

Lori Jordan
04-08-2006, 06:49 AM
I will NEVER post in here again! :) And as for my 13 year old daughter,no she has no clue on the subject so does that mean i should teach her?i went through it with my own mother i would not Bring something like this on with my own,Kids will do what they want to but protecting them against it i dont think im doing a thing wrong here so you all can gang up on someone else from now on :)

Lori Jordan
04-08-2006, 06:50 AM
At 13 who is mature? i know my daughter is far from mature!It ws just the way people explained on how the suicide was commitd that i have a problem with!

Lady's Human
04-08-2006, 08:43 AM
so you all can gang up on someone else from now on :confused:

I didn't realise we were "Ganging up" on anyone. Merely dissenting opinions. Ganging up would imply it was organized, which it most certainly wasn't.

Catty1
04-08-2006, 09:13 AM
Lori Jordan - WHAT did you go through with your own mother? Whatever it was, you certainly want to protect your daughter from it. Swinging the pendulum all the other way doesn't always do the job, since it is done out of fear(most times, not necessarily in your case).

I'm not saying this is you - but people who grow up in alcoholic or dysfunctional homes share some common characteristics. And these get passed on to the kids, because that's all they know.

Here they are, just FYI:

Many of us found that we had several characteristics in common as a result of being brought up in an alcoholic or other dysfunctional households.
We had come to feel isolated, and uneasy with other people, especially authority figures. To protect ourselves, we became people pleasers, even though we lost our own identities in the process. All the same we would mistake any personal criticism as a threat.
We either became alcoholics ourselves, married them, or both. Failing that, we found other compulsive personalities, such as a workaholic, to fulfill our sick need for abandonment.
We lived live from the standpoint of victims. Having an over developed sense of responsibility, we preferred to be concerned with others rather than ourselves. We got guilt feelings when we trusted ourselves, giving in to others. We became reactors rather than actors, letting others take the initiative.
We were dependent personalities, terrified of abandonment, willing to do almost anything to hold on to a relationship in order not to be abandoned emotionally. We keep choosing insecure relationships because they matched our childhood relationship with alcoholic or dysfunctional parents.
These symptoms of the family disease of alcoholism or other dysfunction made us 'co-victims', those who take on the characteristics of the disease without necessarily ever taking a drink. We learned to keep our feelings down as children and keep them buried as adults. As a result of this conditioning, we often confused love with pity, tending to love those we could rescue.
Even more self-defeating, we became addicted to excitement in all our affairs, preferring constant upset to workable solutions.
This is a description, not an indictment

Do you ever hear from your daughter what kids talk about at school? Or from the teachers? Just because you don't hear about it doesn't mean it isn't there. I'll bet, like Karen, that your daughter has heard more than you think. It's all a matter of where you want her to learn about life's realities.

hugs
Catty1

jackie
04-08-2006, 09:27 AM
This is a little off topic but in the lines of ***Age Limit*** On some of these threads,We talk about Suicide,Alcholism,and i just dont think that our young posters should be reading these kinds of things!!! Just my opinion!

It is up to the parent to control what their child reads on the net.

BOBS DAD
04-08-2006, 11:59 AM
Lori,

Don't be offended. I don't think there was an attempt to "gang up on you". I just think that most folks honestly disagreed with your comments and were expressing their own point of view. I "DO" think it is a touchy subject (Suicide) and a hard one to deal with (as was/is Alcoholism). I initially didn't read that thread, but after doing so yesterday, I found it to be a very good one. Quite balanced and informative - and if anything - "helpful" to someone who might be depressed or borderline suicidal and considering something so drastic. Perhaps an even better one for someone who knows someone in this state!

Now of course, I am 46 years old and it is hard to know what effect it would have on me at 13. GOOD THOUGHT to ponder. I guess a good way of addressing the issue is to revert to a old standby theme. "KNOW WHAT YOUR CHILDREN ARE VIEWING ONLINE". Just as kids who have access to the internet can find themselves in "Porn Sites", chat rooms and other questionable URLs, so can they find sites such as PT where life themes may be being discussed. All my kids are computer literate, and were as early as 7-8 years old. At that time, I closely monitored their internet travels. Some might call it snooping. And if I saw something/somewhere that was inappropriate, I told them I did not want them going there again. If I found info there that I thought they shouldn't be reading, then I took the opportunity to discuss that subject with them - in an age appropriate manner. Then I would ask them if they had any questions or were troubled or confused... etc., etc., but then that site was off limits.

I guess I will conclude with: My youngest (and our wonderful "SURPRISE" baby) is now 12. And in accessing her intellect and level of maturity, I do not believe she would have any difficulty with the issues being discussed in the threads. I do believe that she is "already" hearing about and in some ways being touched by some of these issues through her interactions with friends and school. I WOULD end with, TALK TO YOUR KIDS", and talk to them as often as you can about all kinds of issues. Introduce them to the things and issues that they will ultimately be dealing with as young adults. Keep an on-going dialog with them as they go through adolescence and into young adulthood. In this way, you've done the very best that you could as a parent - whose number one responsibility is to prepare your children and arm them with all the neccessary tools/skills/coping mechanisms that you can, before setting them free to spread their wings and fly off into the "unknown & exciting, sometimes troubling" world of life!!!

Lori Jordan
04-08-2006, 04:01 PM
:) :) It just seems everytime i post in here someone has something negative to say so i will no longer post here when someone has there opinion i dont disagree i just go on no need to prove someone wrong it is a OPINION..im not defended at all jost dont care too post here anymore...and the ganging up does not have to be planned

Catty1
04-08-2006, 04:17 PM
But others have opinions TOO :) . And I suppose some get energetic about expressing them. If my opinion happens to be totally different from yours, does that mean I am negative???

Lots of people disagree with opinions I have - and if I really believe in my own view, then I am secure in it, and what others say doesn't upset me.

JMO

Catty1

Lori Jordan
04-08-2006, 04:23 PM
Well in my opinion in the other board i got my head ripped off for it ,and im the same if i have an opinion ill say it but not too be rude..That is why these boards dont clash Never had any problem anywhere else then in here! Not mad at anybody or dislike just thinks it is a tough board nobodya seems to agree and some fights do break out and it is silly,and im not talking about this Thread but have seen in others

Karen
04-08-2006, 04:28 PM
We try very hard to keep things civil, even in The Dog House on Pet Talk. Here is just where more opinion-related topics like politics and religion, among others, are discussed. We are a wide-ranging group of people on Pet Talk, covering every branch of the political spectrum, for example. But what keep us together, what we all have in common, is our love for our pets.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
04-08-2006, 04:29 PM
Well in my opinion in the other board i got my head ripped off for it ,and im the same if i have an opinion ill say it but not too be rude..That is why these boards dont clash Never had any problem anywhere else then in here! Not mad at anybody or dislike just thinks it is a tough board nobodya seems to agree and some fights do break out and it is silly,and im not talking about this Thread but have seen in others

That's the thing Lori, not everyone is going to agree with someone else. Everyone has their own opinions on things and they can be quite different than our own. It doesn't make them wrong or negative, it actually is great to read a bunch of different opinions - it give's us more knowledge and I am grateful that we all don't think alike. I felt the same as you in some of the threads I posted, but then I realized that without all of the opinions, some of the choices I made could've been the wrong ones.

Sometimes I would get way to defensive in my posts and it made me feel like crap. I now have to go over my posts before I hit submit, and I think about how others will read it. I word somethings wrong, and that can make someone read my posts completely differently than how I read it.

Tasha

BOBS DAD
04-08-2006, 04:40 PM
Hi Lori,

I think you are right. there is most definitely a greater chance of a fight breaking out in the "Dog House". I think that s just the nature of the forum. When you are talking about controversial subjects, you are going to get a broad range of opinions and some will be particularly strong. It's like the old Religion and Politics adage. People used to say never discuss Religion or Politics in a family gathering. I always thought that was silly... people were mature and adults could handle differing points of views. Boy, was I wrong!!! As I gotten older, I have seen so many fights break out at family events - Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving - it doesn't matter. Bring up Politics, President Bush or the war in Iraq - comments start out innocent enough, then get sharper and before you know it - somebody's really mad. :mad: Sometimes refusing to talk anymore! Ka-Razy!!! :D

Same with the "Don't sell a car to a family member". We sold my wife's used VW Rabbit to my brother shortly after my wife and I got married. It was older and had lots of mileage and so we sold it for something like $500.00. A few weeks later, he burned the clutch out (I don't think he really knew how to drive the manual). $7-800.00 for a new one. I still think to this day that he thinks we duped him and he got shafted!!! :)

Oh yeah, and don't lend money to a relative. If they need it (I mean really need it), don't lend it - just "give" it to them. That way you won't feel bad when they don't pay you back. And one day when you are down and out, I'm pretty sure they will come to your aid!!!

But anywho... I think that this forum is different than the strictly pet issue posts. Feelings are less strong and folks are more inclined to feel "whatever" - although I have seen a few fights break out tere too!!! :D

BOBS DAD
04-08-2006, 04:44 PM
Here is just where more opinion-related topics like politics and religion, among others, are discussed.

I was hunting and pecking away at my keyboard with an idea/thought that came to my mind. Finally, I was finished and posted, and you had already made the same point!!! :D

They say "great minds think alike"... I gues your mind is just a tad bit greater!!!! :p

Lori Jordan
04-08-2006, 05:04 PM
Its not that i dont want to not hear everybodys opinion it just seems that when i say something i feel strongly about,i just feel like im stupid when im replied back too.

lizbud
04-08-2006, 06:22 PM
You are not stupid at all. You have your own opinion & you stated
it. You have every right to decide what your children are exposed too.

Maybe others are just trying to press their opinion because they think
it's better to expose kids to discussions of sex, drugs, etc, while the
parents are there for all the kids questions about these subjects.

Kfamr
04-08-2006, 10:31 PM
So, your opinions differ from the majority in this or other threads - it happens everywhere! You've just got to learn to deal with it... not dwell on it and take it as a personal attack. No one's ganging up here! So far I haven't seen anyone say one belittling remark towards you, Lori.

Lori Jordan
04-09-2006, 06:25 PM
So, your opinions differ from the majority in this or other threads - it happens everywhere! You've just got to learn to deal with it... not dwell on it and take it as a personal attack. No one's ganging up here! So far I haven't seen anyone say one belittling remark towards you, Lori.

I do not dwell on things i have simply answerd the replies that have been routed towards me..I do not appreciate being talked to like that.End of story

Cincy'sMom
04-09-2006, 09:47 PM
To get back to the original question of the thread, with Therapy Dogs International, there is a rule that any handler under 16 must be accompanied by an adult on a visit. Anyone under that age, who can pass the test with the dog, is able to be certified as the handler, they just can't go on visits alone.

While it might be too extreme, I don't see it as being a bad rule of thumb for most dogs walks. Of course, it depends on the dog and the child, but I think an adult should be in close proximity, for kids under 16, and on the walk with kids under 10 or 12. And is most cases, I don't think kids under 10 should be holding on to a dog's leash alone near roads or in other public places. Of course there are exceptions to everyone, but those seem like reasonable guidelines to me.

Kfamr
04-09-2006, 10:33 PM
I was just trying to help you out, Lori.

Pawsitive Thinking
04-10-2006, 08:18 AM
Lori

As I started both this post and the alcohol related one I would just like to point out that without the support and advice I received from others on this site I would not have been able to turn my life around. This is the one place where I knew I could be open and honest, mainly with myself

I am all for protecting children from the "nasties" in life and as a parent myself I would rather my daughter learnt about such things from people who have been through these experiences and are willing to share in the hope of helping others. I am truly sorry that both my posts offended you

moosmom
04-10-2006, 12:01 PM
We have all agreed to disagree here. Kids aren't as ignorant as they may seem. Protecting your child is one thing. Educating them is an entirely different issue. My whole family (both mother and father's side) are alcoholics. From the young age of 13, I educated my daughter about the dangers of alcohol and drug abuse. She knows that alcoholism is a problem in our family, and watched as her grandfather literally drank himself to death. I raised my daughter the same way my mother raised me, to never feel she can't come and talk to me about ANYTHING. It paid off. My daughter is now 30 years old and is every parent's dream. She beat cancer, and has grown up to be an upstanding citizen who neither drinks not does drugs. We have a very open and honest relationship and for that I am proud.

As Catty1 has posted,

Just because you don't hear about it doesn't mean it isn't there. I'll bet, like Karen, that your daughter has heard more than you think. It's all a matter of where you want her to learn about life's realities

It's also the parent's job to monitor their children's online activities.

Kids talk and learn alot from their friends.

I think the key here is to educate your child on the downfalls of drugs and alcohol. Our children will have to make their own mistakes and learn from them, as we will not be around forever to protect them.

I'm sorry you feel the way you do. While I believe alot of people on this board mean well, it's sometimes difficult to "interpret" the meanings of how they want to express their opinions.

critter crazy
04-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Any child who has the resposibilty to walk dogs, should have their parents involved in some way!! Because children are stubborn and believe that they can do anything! If their parents are involved they can help determine whether or not certain dogs should be walked by their child!! As well as the dog owner!! If you have a 120lb dog that drags you, would you hand that dog over to a 60lb child to walk for you?? I would hope not!! It all revolves around common sence!! JMO!!