PDA

View Full Version : inside cats?

lute
04-04-2006, 08:16 PM
i've always had outside cats because both my parents are HIGHLY allergic. when my parents are gone i let the cats in the house.the cats always love it in the house. i clean up, vacume, etc before they get home. we havn't had a problem yet, but they don't want the cats in the house.

anyway, we're moving to a new house here in a couple weeks. there is a seperate living area that i'll be staying in. i was thinking i could keep the cats inside when i move to the new house. if PiddyBob is prgnant i'll be keeping her inside anyway. but i'd like to keep them both inside permanently. i just have a few questions first.

can you litter train adult cats that are use to going wherever outside?

do inside cats require less food since they don't run about as much as outsie cats?

how do i keep them from scrathing the furniture?

any other advice would be great! :D

Jessika
04-04-2006, 08:29 PM
Yes you can litter train cats who are used to going anywhere outside. Just make sure to show them where the litter box is, make sure it is easily accessable, and clean as possible at all times! A rule of thumb is one litter box per cat, but we've used just one box for two cats before without problems. You just need to clean it more often.

Indoor cats, I'm not sure if they EAT less because outdoor cats may be more active persay but indoor cats still need their exercise, too. So on that issue I am not entirely sure. They may eat less because they WILL be less active. Its just a trial and error thing you will have to work out what is best for your kitties :)

You can keep them from scratching furniture by buying scratching posts or those cardboard scratching things and put catnip on them. If your cats are adament to using your couch to scratch on, they do sell guards you can place on corners of couches and such that will protect them. Worst case scenario there are sprays you can buy that will keep them away from areas you don't want them to be or scratch at.

rosethecopycat
04-04-2006, 08:57 PM
For training an outdoor cat to use a box, you might put in dirt, with the litter.

You can gradually decrease the amount of dirt to litter, until it's pure litter.

If you have unaltered (not fixed) cats, do consider having them fixed. If you have a full male cat, you'll know why. He will stink up the house. As for the female, it's really best, for her health, and to help stop the overpopulation problem and have her fixed as well.

For scratching, try scratching posts of different materials. Sisal is very popular, also cardboard.

Good Luck

lute
04-04-2006, 09:12 PM
thanks! the cats aren't fixed(as of yet) they will be very soon though!