PDA

View Full Version : Convicted Animal Abuser Using CraigsList

Cheshirekatt
04-04-2006, 04:55 PM
There is some graphic content below so please be aware:

CONVICTED ANIMAL ABUSER USING CRAIGSLIST

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2006-04-04, 9:54AM EDT

URGENT ALERT-KNOWN ANIMAL ABUSER ON CRAIGSLIST LOOKING FOR AN ANIMAL TO ABUSE PLEASE DO READ THIS TILL THE END. SPREAD THIS TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS. LET US PROTECT OTHER ANIMALS FROM THIS ABUSER. THANKS FOR CARING!

RE: Shon Rahrig

His current address is: 23560 or 23600 Walden Center Dr., Bonita Springs, FL
He has two #'s, 239-947-0518 and 239-495-3716.

According to info below, this man moves a lot, and is near Georgia and is dangerous to any animal he adopts.

For the link to this article and photograph of this person:
http://www.lovemyspca.com/AnimalAbuseCase.html

More details and a case profile can be find at:
http://www.pet-abuse.com/cases/352/

Case profile:
Case Report: Shon adopted a cat from Citizens for Humane Action (C.H.A.) on January 26, 1999.

In the early morning hours of February 6, Shon beat the cat, poked out its eye, broke its jaw legs, and left it bloody and in agony in a laundry basket in his apartment. He asked Melissa to come over and get it and take it to Delaware County Humane Society and tell them she found it along the road. She instead took it to Columbus Veterinary Emergency Service (CVE who humanely euthanized it due to the extensive nature of its injuries.

Shon Rahrig, about 30 years old, of Sandbury Blvd, allegedly adopted 6 or 7 cats and a puppy from various local shelters and allegedly abused them horribly, broke their limbs, put their eyes out, etc. The alleged abuse became known when his girlfriend took one of the victims to a vet to be euthanized. In court he "copped a plea" to avoid the nasty publicity of a jury trial, and confessed to torturing one black and white cat, Misty, adopted from Citizens for Humane Action. Under the current statutes the most severe penalty for this man, if convicted, would be 90 days in jail and/or a fine of $750.

Melissa contacted C.H.A. and advised them what had happened. C.H.A. transported the body from CVES to Capital Area Humane Society and filed an abuse report. Shon was subsequently arraigned and charged with one count of animal abuse. Shon at first plead not guilty, but changed his plea to guilty. On September 29,1999, Judge Pfeiffer sentenced Shon to 90 days in jail (of which 45 were suspended), 5 years probation, mandatory counseling and he was forbidden from owning any living thing during the 5 year probation period. He began serving his sentence on November 1.

Local rescue groups are sharing information about this. It is part of the reason screening adoption applicants is so important. You can read about his conviction in Ohio at: http:www.petfbi.org/issuerahrig.htm .

SHON RAHRIG was convicted in Ohio of torturing animals he adopted from animal shelters. He has been spotted in California and now Florida and has tired to adopt from several agencies; his parole states that he cannot acquire an animal for 5 years. He may try private adoptions by advertisement. If you encounter him, please alert the DA and the Probation Department.

KNOW THIS MAN FOR WHAT HE IS. SCREEN ALL ADOPTION APPLICANTS CAREFULLY!

BEWARE OF WHO YOU ARE DOING BUSINESS WITH ESPECIALLY IF IT IS A PRIVATE ADOPTION.

SHON RAHRIG SENTENCED IN EXTREME ANIMAL ABUSE CASE Shon Rahrig's sentencing was well attended with representatives from CAHS, CHA, PET FBI, POET, COPA and some individuals along with a Channel 6 camera
crew.

Rahrig has now moved to the Fort Myers Area!
Please beware of this Man!

On 4/29 /2002: He was reported to have moved to Long Beach, CA area where he was spotted at an adoption event.

Outcome

Shon Rahrig's sentencing was well attended with representatives from CAHS, CHA, PET FBI, POET, COPA and some individuals. Channel 6 camera crew
was there, the other stations were covering a school bus disaster. Rahrig did his best to look normal and innocuous, wore a jacket and tie, remained impervious to the glares of the people in attendance and leafed casually through an agenda. ( He will need to block out all of November.)

After having plead guilty to one count he tried to say "it was a lie" but Kerri Manion presented the CAHS cruelty investigation team's findings which was difficult to listen to. The unfortunate cat really suffered. To get to the point: sentence was 45 days in jail, out of a maximum 90, the last 15 may be converted to work-release, by which he is free to leave during day but has to go back to jail to sleep and he has to pay for his incarceration.

He has to reimburse CAHS $100 for the necropsy of the poor victim. No counseling was mandated but remains at discretion of his probation officer. Probation is 5 years during which he may not own any living thing and he is subject to check-up visits by CAHS.

Judge Pfeiffer did his best, we think, to make him understand that he had committed a wanton act of cruelty against a defenseless animal and that nothing in his psychological study indicated a mental problem. "I am not crazy" said Shon. Mary Poliseno, President of CAHS, said she was concerned about what would happen if he moved outside the Franklin County jurisdiction and the Judge said he would extend his sentence to all of Central Ohio.

There will probably be some protest demonstration soon to draw more attention to the case and to the sorry state of our animal protection laws here in Ohio, the Heart of it all.

PARTICULARS:

YOU CAN LOOK UP HIS RECORD AT: WWW.FCMCCLERK.COM
http://www.fcmcclerk.com/.
CLICK PUBLIC ACCESS AND TYPE IN HIS NAME.

CASE #1999 ER B 070982
ARRESTED 2/6/99
HE WAS SENTENCED 5 YRS PROBATION; 90 DAYS JAIL; BANNED FROM EVER OWNING ANY LIVING THING; MANDATORY COUNSELING.

INSTEAD HE SKIPPED TOWN

Here is the warning, and at the bottom is his innocent-sounding ad from Craigslist today:

WARNING:
Those postings from the man looking for a cute lit'l puppy for his angel of a daughter ......... I'd steer clear of those ads. There is a man on the run now, Shon Rahrig, that is around the Florida/Georgia area. He purposely answers/posts ads looking for free/cheap animals to abuse/mutilate. If you want to read his story, go to http://www.pet-abuse.com/cases/352/OH/US/
and read the news article for yourself. There is also a photo of this criminal on this link. He was convicted of animal cruelty and fled before his sentencing. There is an active warrant out for his arrest.

And here's the posting they flagged as his. It was on craigslist in the pets section:
Reply to: [email protected] <
Date: 2006-01-03, 8:44AM EST

Hello,

I heard that I should try this site to see if anyone is willing to help. I do not have alot of money to purchase a puppy or a dog, but I have a five year old little angel that has a priceless amount of love to give a puppy or dog. I do not live in a huge place, so I am looking for a small puppy. I can assure you that if you have a puppy that would be a good match for our family, it would be loved and well taken care of. Thank you in advance for your help and God Bless.
this is in or around ALPHARETTA

this is in or around PETS

no -- it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

lvpets2002
04-04-2006, 05:03 PM
:mad: Oh that story just makes me so MAD & want to Be Sick To My Stomack.. He should have his eyes pocked out & be beaten & abused!!! So HELP ME I Had Better NOT EVER EVER Know of Any One That Is Doing This To Our Poor Babies.. :(

moosmom
04-04-2006, 05:29 PM
It's OBVIOUS by this pig's long standing abuse history, that the laws and the punishment need to be changed NOW!!!!! I get SOOOO angry when I read stuff like that. :mad:

His pathetic photo is now embedded in my memory forever. I hope he rots in hell. Better yet, I hope he gets the crap beat out of him the next time he's in the pokey. I'm SURE it won't be long now.

jackie
04-04-2006, 06:11 PM
Wow, anyone who uses other animal/rescue boards, please crosspost.