PDA

View Full Version : We knew this day would be coming.....

Catsnclay
04-04-2006, 04:02 PM
Well, with a kitty that is 17 years old, we knew this day would be coming soon.........Poor Fluffy, we took him to the Vet's on Monday (I should have done it sooner, but I can't drive with my :mad: :mad: broken right ankle! :mad: :mad: )

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid184/pc4da8902a419388f719ed65caf1cd948/f2854c21.jpg

We got the test results early this morning, and his kidney is failing him. He lost 6 pounds in 1 year, and is dehydrated. He currently is back at the vets, receiving SubQ's with potisium.

Poor Tim (my husband) this is *his* kitty, Fluffy found our backyard 17 years ago and stuck with us. He has been the BEST kitty anyone could ask for! The sweetest, mild manored, never got mad at anyone, and was more of a lover Vs. fighter. At one time he was a big 20 pounder who scared everyone who incountered him, only to find out he was just a big ball of fluff.

He is our "baby" no matter what age he is.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid63/p7e3cfc7a0960fedb4af0f58caee29ee0/fc1387ed.jpg

I sure hope our Big Boy pulls through this and hopefully gives us a few more years of life. Our vet thinks we caught this in time, and she is giving us a good prognosis...........keep your fingers & paws crossed for our guy! :(

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-04-2006, 04:29 PM
Oh Bunny, I'm so sorry to hear about Fluffy. :(

However, I'm going to stay positive that if the vet is giving him a good prognosis that everything will be ok. SubQ fluids are a piece of cake to administer if it turns out he needs them frequently. If I can do it, I know you can too. Terry is the biggest baby when it comes to the kitties and their health, and even he was able to bring himself around to help with the fluids.

Fluids and potassium made a world of difference for Tubby, and I'll be hoping and praying they have the same healing effect on Fluffy. :)

Killearn Kitties
04-04-2006, 04:31 PM
All fingers and paws crossed here for Fluffy. What a sweetheart he looks. I love his little lion tail in the first picture! :D

RedHedd
04-04-2006, 04:34 PM
Aww! He looks like a beautiful Maine Coon (lion cut and all :D ) Prayers going out that the Sub-Q's and potassium do the trick. My Mishi has a bad kidney too and every once in a while has an "episode" where I have to rush him to the kitty ER, but <knock on wood> he's pulled through with the treatment. I hope Fluffy does too - prayers and gentle head bonkies (if he's anything like Mishi, you know what I mean :) ) going you way.

catmandu
04-04-2006, 05:59 PM
As a Fellow Fluffy Guardian,I am praying as hard as I can for Your Fluffy Friend.
And Mr Fluffy Angels bringing a Kitty Bag to Your Fluffy.
Norton from New Jersey had just brought some delicious sea food over.
Please Lord give Fluffys Guardians some more time with thier Companion.

rg_girlca
04-04-2006, 10:00 PM
Prayers and positive thoughts on the way that your big boy, Fluffy is able to pull through this.

He is such a gorgeous boy, with the sweetest face.

Catty1
04-04-2006, 10:21 PM
What a sweet sweet face! Hugs and prayers that this was caught early, and with some special food and fluids and lots of TLC, Fluffy will be with you for years to come!

hugs
Catty1

Lizzie
04-05-2006, 12:40 AM
What a relief that your vet feels confident that you can pull Fluffy through this acute stage. As others have said, once you get used to giving fluids, it's pretty easy and you can see how much better it makes your cat feel. I've had several cats with chronic renal failure who have lived for 2-3 years beyond the diagnosis, and they were good years too - which is what we want for our cats. Anyway, good luck with Fluffy and give him an extra tummy rub from me.

Sonia59
04-05-2006, 02:52 AM
All paws and fingers crossed here for your sweet big baby! The vet seems positive and is probably wright ;)
(((Hugs)))

jenluckenbach
04-05-2006, 05:11 AM
Prayers for Fluffy.

Pawsitive Thinking
04-05-2006, 05:45 AM
Everything crossable is crossed for you Fluffy

K & L
04-05-2006, 07:57 AM
OH Bunny I'm so sorry to read this! I'm here if you need a shoulder! We'll get together soon. Let me know if you need anything. Your Friend....Lisa

Beauty17
04-05-2006, 09:11 AM
All best hopes for your so sweet looking Fluffy. I love his tail, too, and his expression in the first photograph. We have some experience with sub-cutaneous fluid and nutrition pulling cat/s through bad phases. I hope your Fluffy gets better and you can share more time together.

jazzcat
04-05-2006, 10:34 AM
Prayers and positive thoughts for Fluffy (and you).

I'm experiencing the same type of thing with Ripley. He has begun to lose weight and when I had him a the vet for his last bladder infection they said there were signs of the beginning of kidney failure. He just turned 14 last month.

Logan
04-05-2006, 01:35 PM
Best wishes for Fluffy and for you. I am so glad to hear that the prognosis is positive and that you caught this in time. Many more years of happiness with Fluffy!!! :)

catlady1945
04-05-2006, 05:07 PM
What a beautiful cat your Fluffy is. I hope he will be well.

Lori Jordan
04-05-2006, 05:42 PM
im so sorry i hope he recovers

kb2yjx
04-05-2006, 05:50 PM
Sending prayers for Fluffy and you to comfort you during this difficult time!

Barbara
04-06-2006, 09:29 AM
Bunny, I remember Fluffy well. I am so terribly sorry that he is seriously ill and hope it will not be the end but that he may have long good times at your home :)

Sending all my best thoughts.

Catsnclay
04-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Well we got some really good news today! :D Apparently we caught this just in time for Fluffy. Our vet is not saying he has kidney failure, just the very beginnings of it.

We just got back the urine test and it tested in the high end of the normal range, so we will continue with the Sub Q's and in 2 months from now he will take another urine test.

I would like to take this time to thank each and every one of you that responded, this really means a lot to Tim & I. Fluffy is one of the most generous kitties that we ever had, he has taken each of our new kitties (and the one that was here before him) and mothered them, and still does to this day. He *must* sleep between us every night, or we get upset! :rolleyes: That is *his* spot on the bed and the other 2 do not go there when he is there.

I truly think the hardest part of having a loving pet is letting them go so soon in OUR life.

Thank again for the well wishes............it worked!! :D :D :D

K & L
04-06-2006, 02:18 PM
Wonderful news Bunny! :)

Lizzie
04-06-2006, 02:40 PM
I'm very glad that you updated us, and super glad that the prognosis is about as good as it can get. Look Fluffy firmly in the eye and tell him you are aiming for 20 years - it is possible. I'm sure you are giving him extra attention and cuddles in his place on the bed at night. Sometimes it's good to get this kind of wake-up call, to remind us that their time is limited and we do need to set aside special times with individual cats.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-06-2006, 02:49 PM
Yippie!!!!! Way to go Fluffy! :D

kb2yjx
04-06-2006, 06:18 PM
Good News!!! YEA!!!

momcat
04-06-2006, 09:34 PM
Such good news about your sweet Fluffy!! Prayers and positive thoughts continue for all of you. Groucho wants to send Fluffy some get well soon purrs and headbumpies.

NoahsMommy
04-06-2006, 09:44 PM
WONDERFUL NEWS FOR FLUFFY...and Meowmie and Daddee too! :)

I'm sorry the news wasn't wonderful at first, but now it sounds like all he needs is a bit of extra attention and he'll be great.

Hugs to everyone.

Take care,
Kelly & the kitties :)

Catty1
04-06-2006, 09:53 PM
Hugs! That beautiful face will be gazing at you for a long time yet!

Catty1

krazyaboutkatz
04-07-2006, 01:03 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Fluffy is in the beginning stages of kidney failure:( but I'm so glad to hear that his prognosis is excellent.:) I'm sure he'll be with you for many years to come. Take care Bunny. (((HUGS)))

Barbara
04-07-2006, 11:17 AM
:D :D :D

Love to Fluffy! Filou says Sub-qs aren't fun but they help ;)