PDA

View Full Version : eye doctors appointment

davidpizzica
04-04-2006, 02:07 PM
I made an appointment to to have my eyes checked on April 11th at 4:30 p.m. I'm kind of nervous to see what they find. I have a funny feeling it's a cataract.

Anita Cholaine
04-04-2006, 02:22 PM
((((hugs)))) Hope everything goes well, David... Please keep us updated about it!

JenBKR
04-04-2006, 02:23 PM
(((hugs))) prayers and good thoughts coming your way for your appointment. Let us know what happens!

lv4dogs
04-04-2006, 02:43 PM
I'll be thinking of you, hope it's nothing serious.

davidpizzica
04-04-2006, 04:08 PM
Thanks, everyone. I hope it isn't serious, either, but I think it might be a cataract, one of the "benefits" of being a diabetic.

Pam
04-04-2006, 05:28 PM
David, a cataract is a normal aging change of the lens of your eye. If we live long enough we will all develop them. I work for an ophthalmologist and, though not a doctor myself, have been there 12 years now and picked up on a lot. In fact, at my ripe old age of 59, he recently said that I had a cataract beginning. They often take years to develop to the point of needing surgery though and the surgery is simple.

Cataract and diabetes do not go hand in hand. They are completely different things. Diabetes unfortunately does affect the eyes. When one does not keep their blood sugars in check over time it can result in what is called diabetic retinopathy. Just Google diabetic retinopathy and you can learn a little bit yourself before your exam. I hope it is not your diabetes that is affecting your eyes.

If you are developing cataracts, the surgery is quite simple. It's an outpatient procedure and you will go in early and be out before lunch. :) Even if it is diabetic retinopathy there is treatment available.

Please let us know how you do. You will be in our thoughts and try not to be too nervous. :)

davidpizzica
04-04-2006, 05:43 PM
David, a cataract is a normal aging change of the lens of your eye. If we live long enough we will all develop them. I work for an ophthalmologist and, though not a doctor myself, have been there 12 years now and picked up on a lot. In fact, at my ripe old age of 59, he recently said that I had a cataract beginning. They often take years to develop to the point of needing surgery though and the surgery is simple.

Cataract and diabetes do not go hand in hand. They are completely different things. Diabetes unfortunately does affect the eyes. When one does not keep their blood sugars in check over time it can result in what is called diabetic retinopathy. Just Google diabetic retinopathy and you can learn a little bit yourself before your exam. I hope it is not your diabetes that is affecting your eyes.

If you are developing cataracts, the surgery is quite simple. It's an outpatient procedure and you will go in early and be out before lunch. :) Even if it is diabetic retinopathy there is treatment available.

Please let us know how you do. You will be in our thoughts and try not to be too nervous. :)
Pam, thank you for this great information. I will google diabetic retinopathy. I just figured that the diabetes would cause them. You put my mind at ease a little.

Pam
04-04-2006, 06:06 PM
Glad to help a little. I hope I didn't scare you, but I thought maybe if you went to your exam armed with some information you would know what the doctor was talking about if it came to something closely related to your diabetes. I hope it is just a cataract. :) Of course, I am your age, I think, and body parts start to let us down as we age. :p

davidpizzica
04-04-2006, 06:16 PM
Glad to help a little. I hope I didn't scare you, but I thought maybe if you went to your exam armed with some information you would know what the doctor was talking about if it came to something closely related to your diabetes. I hope it is just a cataract. :) Of course, I am your age, I think, and body parts start to let us down as we age. :p
Thanks for the info. I googled diabetic retinopathy and read about it. I think I have a case of the good old cataracts. Pam, I'm a younger guy, I'l be 58 next Dcember! LOL!