PDA

View Full Version : Bad behavior!

slleipnir
04-26-2002, 06:36 PM
Urg! I know this is stupid to say, but I'm fed up with Josie never listening to anyone. I had this romote control car, and was driving it around, and Jo went crazy, barking like a mad dog, and jumping at it. I told her to stop like 500000 times, then she wouldn't so I told her to lay down for a while in the kitchen. That last a whole 2 seconds. Its almost like shes ignoring me. Thats not the only thing though. If shes doing somethin she wants, then NO one can stop her. Shes out at the dog park, most of the time she won't come when I call her. Shes gonna get out one of these days and not come when I call her and get hit by a car. It makes me angry so I have to stay away from her for a few mins so I don't take it out on her. I think she knows she has to listen but shes to stuborn. Isn't there anything I can do??

LoudLou
04-26-2002, 09:42 PM
Ok, this won't help matters any but, 2 years ago for Christmas, My husband bought Louie his OWN RC Monster Truck :rolleyes: Louie loves it and goes NUTZ when ever we take it out to play with him...We used to have a RC Ball called a Motoball but they quit making them. They sure were A LOT of fun!;)

Ann
04-27-2002, 06:04 AM
The only thing I could think of to do is probably something that would cause more trouble than be good but I'll say it anyways :o

Everytime she comes to you when you call her, give her some small treat. A tiny piece of meat or whatever, anything will due as long as she likes it. When you've done that plenty of times she'll associate coming to you when you call her with food.

Well, that's the only thing I can think of atleast. I know it's a dumb idea and it could probably be unhealthy as well, so sorry! >_<

slleipnir
04-27-2002, 06:18 AM
No, thats a good idea. Thank you :] I've actually thought about it, and I do do it when we're out for walks or at the dog park. She pretty much listens for that, but I don't want her to be dependant on treats so that if someday I don't have one she won't come. I don't know if that makes sense but anyway..Its not only a she won't come thing, its listening all together. If shes doing something like barking, she won't stop when you tell her.

She also doesn't 'give' stuff to you from her mouth. I had her ball the other day and would seem to be not interested in playing with it when I asked to take it, and I would say "Josie give" or w.e and then take the ball. At 1st she didn't want to let her precious goo incase I wanted to steal it with her. So as soon as she gave it to me, I held it for a min and told her what a good dog she was, then gave it back. I don't know if that teaches her anything by giving it back (does anyone know??) but it seemed to work so far.. for that time anyway. I don't want her to think im stealing her ball, then she may not want to give it to me at all. I figure if she get started with the ball which shes comfortable with me taking from her, she'll move onto knowing I don't want to steal her bones from her either. We'll hope anyway ;D

Cincy'sMom
04-27-2002, 06:44 AM
I think you did right with the ball. Make her give it, praise her her and then give it back. The ball then becomes the reward. We were told with training you should use 5 different types of treats, 5 toys and 5 lifetime rewards (a walk, jumpin up and givin you a kiss, when maybe you don't normally allow that, stuff like that) You don't have to use all, all the time, but that way you aren't always giving treats, and the reward is always a surprise.

I would start refreshing Jo a little on commands. Call her to you a few times a day. For the first few days when she looks at you, call her over and praise her for coming. Sometimes giver her a reward, other times don't. After a day or two wait til she is involved in something else...playing, eating whatever. Then call her to you. It should help make her comes more reliable. If this doesn't help maybe an obdience class? Even if she has had one, a refresher would help her and remind you to work with her. I have found if I don't do a few commands with my dogs each day they get very lax!
(esp. with Comes!)

Jo, you listen to your mommie. She just doesn't want you to get hurt! :)

Dixieland Dancer
04-27-2002, 08:16 AM
You need to remember two important things. One, Jo is still a puppy even though she may be getting bigger and doesn't look like the little ball of fur she use to be. Expect your lab girl to have high energy until she is at least two and possibly three years old.

Two, she is not ignoring you. She just doesn't understand what you expect of her. She does not think in the same way as a human and you can not expect her too. Plain and simple she is displaying typical behavior for any dog her age who is not trained. She needs obedience classes if you want her to listen to you when you speak to her. Puppy kindergarten class is not considered an obedience class, it is more for Socialization.

Using treats to get the dog to understand the behavior is an excellent training tool. At first you use the treat all the time. Once you recognize the dog is consistently doing what you request, you start to fade the lure. Perhaps you only give it every second time. You always give verbal praise though, everytime! Again when you recognize the dog is coming or doing whatever you ask on a consistent manner, then you fade the lure even further. Perhaps a treat is only 3 times she listens. It is important to always use the same cue in calling her and in the same manner. Single words are more effective than phrases. I give the dogs name to get the attention and COME to tell them what to do. In other words it would be DIXIE .... COME. She will catch on and come reguarly.

As far as sitting for periods in excess of a couple seconds..... this is something even reguarly trained dogs have to work up to. This is where the obedience class will help.

Lastly, getting upset with her will only slow the training process down. It will confuse her more than help her because she will not understand why you are upset and will perhaps associate it with something other than why you are upset. Positive measures are the best! If the dog does not do what you want then you need to show her in a positive way. But don't expect her to listen too much if she is not trained. Not because she doesn't want to please you but more because she doesn't know how to please you. I strongly advise an obedience class or if that is not possible getting a good book on positive dog training (clicker training is great too) and learn to communicate with your baby! You will not regret it as it will enhance the bond between the two of you! :D

Presley
04-27-2002, 11:23 AM
I kinda had a snicker when i was reading your post. Presley is so much like that.. I sometimes wonder if she ever picked up anything we work on.
I take Presley outside when she needs to go to the bathroom. So it is put the leash on, But before i put the leash on she has to sit. The same rule applys when taking it off, Sit first. She looks at me like.. Duh.. who is Presley and what is this *sit* you talk about.
:rolleyes: Then we move on to something like *come*.... It is always Presley Come.. She stops and looks around with that same Duh look and carrys on her marry way!;) She about drives me nuts sometimes. I asked the vet about it when i took her to the ER last weekend. He has had labs for years so i thought he could give me some insight into this... All he could do was laugh and told me to keep expecting these *who the heck is Presley and what is come and sit and down and shake a paw and whatever else you want from me now* Stuff to carry on till she is like 2yo!!!! :( :D :( I have big plans for her to be a field and hunt dog! She needs to listen!!! Ah well like Candy said it is all down to training. Presley and I stopped doing everything when she had the seizures and now we are just starting to get back to work. :D
I also found with Presley i use treat as a reward. No treats is big time punishment to her. She is such a pleaser as well and so smart she catchs on quickly. My problem is i think she has something down pack and i move onto something else forgetting what we were working on before and she starts to lose it. I need to set up like a pattern and go through everything in one lesson. Also Presley will not get a treat without working for it.
i don't know if any of this helps....
Melissa & Presley

slleipnir
04-27-2002, 11:29 AM
LOL ok, I guess I sounded really bad. 1st of all, Jo is almost 4 years old, and she has been to novice obediance, and advanced (plus agility) Beleive it or not, she was top in her class in all of them. in beginner obediance she was a few points behind the lead dog, and in advanced she got a ribbon for being top in her class (all the dogs did very well, and listened for the most part) I think she lost her training by me not keeping up with her. I got busy with school and stopped working on her everynight like i use to. She has never settled down, and she goes for regular walks. She never completely listened to me all the time anyway. Especially now that this new dog and farret is here. She won't leave the poor farret alone so shes downstairs and hes here with me. Sorry for not specifying that..I know it probably sounds like shes an immacure little pup. I guess she is though lol :] Thanks for the advice though, I can still use it

Dixieland Dancer
04-27-2002, 09:21 PM
I am sorry for thinking Jo was still a pup. :confused: I should of known by your signature she was older. I sort of remember (I think) seeing pictures of her as a pup though and that is kind of what I was thinking. Perhaps it was pictures of Presley or some other black lab. I am getting the mid life forgetfulness more and more frequently. :(

Anyway, training is something you need to do constantly. Dixie has a CDX (Companion dog excellent) AKC title and I hadn't really done any serious work with her for almost a year. We went to a hunt test about a month ago and she embarrassed the day lights out of me. She would not listen at all! :eek: Some of the people at the test are people I have helped in obedience work and I'm sure they were wondering how I can help them when I can't even control my own dog!! :confused:

Well I went back to work and within a couple of days she was doing much better. And I started taking her to class again too. I didn't realize how much she missed it. She is listening again and I think she is happier and so am I! :D

In short, training is something you have to keep up with continually if you expect them to understand and listen to you. Five minutes a couple times a day and I think you will see Jo doing much better. ;)