PDA

View Full Version : I want to VENT!

davidpizzica
04-03-2006, 05:36 PM
My boss is a piece of work! I asked him politely if I could leave an hour early on Easter Sunday so that I could go to church. He not only said NO, he made a sarcastic remark about my going to church. Never mind that he's Catholic and can go saturday night, however I'm Lutheran and I can only go Easter morning. It wasn't fair to me at all. End of vent.

*LabLoverKEB*
04-03-2006, 05:49 PM
Wow, that's very rude...

caseysmom
04-03-2006, 06:44 PM
Sounds like your boss needs an extra prayer on Easter. I am sorry he was so rude.

lizbud
04-03-2006, 06:45 PM
Sorry that this happened to you. Seems very inconsiderate to me. :(

gini
04-03-2006, 07:50 PM
David, have you ever heard the saying "what goes around comes around"?

I am pretty sure God was listening to your conversation with your boss.

Let HIM take care of it!!

Alysser
04-03-2006, 08:45 PM
I'm sorry that happened and your boss is so rude.:( I hope you can go to church anyway! :mad: That guy sounds like a real jerk!

Karen
04-03-2006, 09:06 PM
Well, what time do you have to be at work? Does your church have a sunrise service that you could go to at dawn? Ours used to until quite recently, and it was held at a local golf course!

Nomilynn
04-03-2006, 09:22 PM
Isn't it illegal to make someone work when they have a religious reason to miss?

Daisy and Delilah
04-03-2006, 09:32 PM
That's just awful David. It must have made you feel terrible. This guy sounds like a real big jerk for sure. He's entitled to his own preferences or opinions I guess, but he doesn't have to ridicule you for yours. He should have had the decency to keep his mouth shut and try to work with you. I hope you can work something out so you can attend church.

finn's mom
04-03-2006, 09:49 PM
Sounds like harrassment to me. That's an awful thing to say to someone.

Cat's Meowm
04-03-2006, 09:49 PM
Does your job have a Human Resources office? He's breaking the law! Can you find someone to take your place for that hour? Document all his responses - try to have a witness. Not only rude - he's wrong! Good Luck!

RedHedd
04-03-2006, 10:00 PM
Isn't it illegal to make someone work when they have a religious reason to miss? That's what I was going to say. It sounds like discrimination, based on your religion. He's breaking one of your constitutional rights.

Perhaps you have some "sick leave" or comp time, or .....

moosmom
04-03-2006, 10:24 PM
Nomilynn,

Isn't it illegal to make someone work when they have a religious reason to miss?

That's what I told David.

Davidp,

I've got a suggestion. Sounds like that jerk of a boss needs more than a prayer. I say light a candle for him, then go punch his lights out and TELL him you're leaving or you'll report him to the Labor Department. I can see him getting a little upset over taking the whole day of, but an hour??? :rolleyes:

Lady's Human
04-03-2006, 10:28 PM
Much as I hate to say this......

With the exception of the sarcastic remark, your boss, while well outside of what would be normally considered good employee relations, is well within the law.

Is it a GOOD thing to do? Hell no. But the labor board isn't going to be able to say much.

G535
04-03-2006, 10:31 PM
Could you start an hour earlier than usual and finish an hour early?

kimboe
04-03-2006, 10:44 PM
Well, That is not nice of him.
And only for an hour? I mean c-mon!

DJFyrewolf36
04-04-2006, 02:52 AM
How rude! Some people...

Pawsitive Thinking
04-04-2006, 08:17 AM
What a kind, caring man he seems to be NOT! Certainly knows how to get his staff behind him!! :mad: :mad:

JenBKR
04-04-2006, 08:24 AM
Ugh what a jerk. I agree with gini, I'm sure God was listening to the conversation. Is there another service you can go to, as a different time or anything?

Cataholic
04-04-2006, 09:39 AM
Much as I hate to say this......

With the exception of the sarcastic remark, your boss, while well outside of what would be normally considered good employee relations, is well within the law.

Is it a GOOD thing to do? Hell no. But the labor board isn't going to be able to say much.

WHAT??? Stop the presses!!! This is TWO times we have been in sync. When July comes around, I will be looking for some snow, for sure! :D

LH is right, of course. There is no legal issue here.

Edwina's Secretary
04-04-2006, 03:38 PM
Now we really know the world is coming to an end. LH, Cat and me all in agreement. :eek: :eek:

Being a jerk is not illegal. If it were our jails would be even more overflowing. Running off to the labor board (or whatever the agency is called in your area) is not the best way to enhance the relationship.

But think about something for a moment.....you are prepared to tell him when he should go to church (Saturday night) but not the other way around!

It may be only an hour....but in the service industry...if you are the one waiting an hour for service...it is a long time.

chocolatepuppy
04-04-2006, 05:04 PM
But think about something for a moment.....you are prepared to tell him when he should go to church (Saturday night) but not the other way around!

Amen ;)

lvpets2002
04-04-2006, 05:11 PM
That's what I was going to say. It sounds like discrimination, based on your religion. He's breaking one of your constitutional rights.

Perhaps you have some "sick leave" or comp time, or .....

My words to a tee.. Hope you get to go to your Church Service anyway..

Karen
04-04-2006, 05:13 PM
David never said his boss SHOULD go on Saturday night, he simply said that, because his boss' church has services both days, his boss had a choice that is not available to David.

Pam
04-04-2006, 06:17 PM
Interesting thread and it does point up what a jerk your boss is. My boss is Jewish and takes off on all of his holidays. We, however, must work on Good Friday. Go figure. :confused: