PDA

View Full Version : Fister in hospital

Randi
04-26-2002, 02:11 PM
We had to take Fister to the hospital today and they kept him. :( Lately we've noticed that he had problems peeing again, so today we felt we could not wait any longer, since he's only been dripping for the last day. He complained loudly today and we decided it was time to go. Poor Fister! :( He will be scanned and get a cahteter put in and get flushed through like last time. There are different options of how to treat him concerning the cahteter and they couldn't say this early how they would tackle it. They asked us to ring them tomorrow. It's going to cost about $ 500 - weekend fee, but then, we don't want to loose him cause he's worth much more than that!!

When we get news, we'll let you know.

Former User
04-26-2002, 02:14 PM
Oh Randi, so sorry to hear that. Poor Fister! I hope they can help him there and you have your boy back as good as new!
Keeping fingers and paws crossed for Fister! Keep us posted!

Edwina's Secretary
04-26-2002, 02:17 PM
So sorry to hear Fister is in the hospital! What a lousy way to spend the weekend -- for both you and Fister!

momoffuzzyfaces
04-26-2002, 02:19 PM
All paws, tails, and fingers crossed here for your boy too. Extra prayer also on the way. :( :(

AmberLee
04-26-2002, 02:53 PM
{{{Fister}}},

Our thoughts and prayers are with you, sweetheart.

Randi, will you be able to see him at all this weekend? You must be frantic. {{{Fister's mommy and daddy, too}}} Holding you in our thoughts and prayers.

sasvermont
04-26-2002, 03:56 PM
I had a male kitty (RB) with UTIs all the time....and we finally ended up putting water in his canned cat food - making him lick the liquid off to get to the meat portion. I also bought only canned food with a very low ash content. It seemed to help. I think the Vet could recommend a good food for your kitty's problem. Poor kitty..... poor wallet. Been there, done that. Gotta do it, I know.

Paws and toes crossed that Fister gets well soon!

:confused: :) :confused:

gini
04-26-2002, 04:27 PM
Oh, Fister is my Rascal's look-alike twin. I am so sorry that he is in the hospital.

My prayers are that he is home soon and feeling much better!

tatsxxx11
04-26-2002, 05:35 PM
Oh Randi, I'm so sorry to hear that! My Fritzy (RB) had a devil of a time with UTIs. He was hospitalized twice for catheterization, and for a few days thereafter, the vet had to manually express his bladder.:( Let 's hope that Fister's up and running very soon! Please tell him that we all wish him a speedy recovery and give him our love and lots of hugs!! Hope you get some weekend visitation time! Love, Sandra, Mr. B and Oliver

wolflady
04-26-2002, 05:50 PM
{{{{{Fister and family}}}}}
Randi, I sure hope Fister is fine and back to normal soon. Our Scooter has a devil of a time with UTI and I feel so sorry for the poor little guys! He's had to stay in the hospital several times with his 'bouts' of UTI, but he seems to be doing fine now:) Hopefully Fister will be up and running (pardon the pun) like our Scooter soon!
Did your vet put him on a special diet? If not, be sure to ask about it. Scooter has been put on the Hill's Science Diet prescription for UTI, which should help prevent recurrances of UTI and crystal formation. The only drawback to that is, he has to be on it for the rest of his life, and it's quite expensive. But, as you know, it's worth it:)

**hugs** to you and Fister!! I'll say a little prayer for you guys and do keep us posted.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-26-2002, 08:42 PM
This is so sad! After just reading that wonderful story of how Fister took over the bed, then the space between the pillows, then the pillow, it's just so sad knowing that he's not feeling well, and isn't even at home to get the extra hugs and smoochies he needs right now. :( Yes, all paws, fingers and tails are crossed here that he is up and at 'em real soon. I bet after this Randi concedes her entire pillow to Fister - willingly. Poor Fister and mom and dad. We'll be thinking of you and praying for a quick recovery.

LoudLou
04-26-2002, 09:36 PM
Poor Fister and Mommie and Daddy! Hope for a speedy recovery! Fingers, Tails, Claws & Paws crossed here!

Hurry and get well Fister! Your Mommy & Daddy AND your Mommies Pillows will miss you!

krazyaboutkatz
04-27-2002, 12:44 AM
I'm so sorry that Fister isn't feeling well. Fingers and paws are crossed here. Please keep us posted.

Randi
04-27-2002, 06:05 AM
Thanks everyone for your concern and prayers - actually, yesterday it was "Store Bededag" in Denmark (translated directly: Big Prayers day - don't know the english word for it).
Anyway, we called the hospital and Fister has still got the cahteter in, he is sitting in a box - probably very bored and missing us :( but he has eaten a little this morning! :) We can't come and visit and if we did, it would probably make it worse for us all; so we will have to give them a ring tomorrow again and hope they're done with him!!!

He had bladder stones in january for the first time. He then had a cahteter put in for about 3 hours at our own vet who is a really nice person and is nearby. He also got flushed through, but no scanning or xrays. Since then, we've kept the diet (dry food low magnesium, phosfor and calcium) apart from 2 spoonfuls of his favourite vetfood once or twice a week. Well, I can see now that we may have to skip that! :(

We'll know more tomorrow and will keep you posted! Thanks again! :)

Ps. It was a very strange feeling not having him in bed last night!

sirocco
04-27-2002, 08:35 AM
Oh, Randi, it made me very sad to know that Fister had to go to hospital, so imagine how you must feel :(. I´m thinking of you and Fister and will be watching out for news on his progress! The good thing is that the vets seem to know what´s wrong his Fister and how to heal him - I hope he recovers soon and he´s back to his dominant routine at home!!! Surely he´s missing sleeping with you!!

I looking forward to hearing that good news tomorrow!! And I hope you are feeling a bit better!

Un abrazo (and a special one for your little Fister-boy!)
Nita

momoffuzzyfaces
04-27-2002, 11:23 AM
So glad your Fister is eating and doing better. Will keep the paws and tails and fingers crossed that he may get to come home tomorrow. Thanks for keeping us posted. (((HUGS))) for you all.

lynnestankard
04-28-2002, 07:48 AM
Sorry Randi - only just read this post and I'm so sorry Fister isn't at home with you - but having to spend the weekend in hospital.
Poor furbaby and his Mummy and Daddy too. I bet he's doing a lot of sleeping and getting his strength back.
Fingers crossed here - and if Dan's anything to go by (lying on my arm) eye's are crossed too!
Let us know how he is tomorrow won't you?:) :)

Lynne

Randi
04-28-2002, 09:09 AM
We have just spoken to the vet at the hospital - and we can come and get Fister NOW!!! :D :D :D Can hardly wait! Are sitting here waiting for our friend with the car to turn up.

Will post and tell more later!

LoudLou
04-28-2002, 09:17 AM
Big Hugs for Fister!!!! Glad you're coming home!
http://bestsmileys.com/smileys/smileyhug.gif

Former User
04-28-2002, 09:20 AM
GREAT NEWS RANDI!!! Fister is coming home, yippeee!!!!

tuxluvr
04-28-2002, 11:08 AM
Awww poor golden Fister boy! and so glad it is better and he is home. It's so upsetting to see our little fur family not feeling up to par, and even worse when we are separated fromthem...

Hope he will be his marvelous self soon. Ritzy had a UTi once and cried so hard when she had to go...the round of medication and diet change seemed to do the trick -- nothing since and it was over a year ago.

momoffuzzyfaces
04-28-2002, 12:11 PM
A WILD HAPPY DANCE IS NOW IN PROGRESS IN FISTER'S HONOR!!!:D :cool: :D
What wonderful news to start the day with!!!!

tatsxxx11
04-28-2002, 12:21 PM
Yippppppppppe, hipppppppppppppy, hooooooooooooooooray!!! Hugs, kisses, for Fister!

krazyaboutkatz
04-28-2002, 09:00 PM
I'm glad to hear that Fister can come home. I'm sure he'll be back to his old self in no time. :D

toughCookie
04-28-2002, 11:14 PM
:) :D :D :D

gosh I guess I need to read this section more often, I just now read about Fister. poor kitty, but I am glad he can come home.

how is he doing now??

Former User
04-29-2002, 02:01 AM
Randi, how is Fister doing this morning? (toughcookie beat me to it)I sure hope he is better!

yorkster
04-29-2002, 03:04 AM
I've been at the ocean for a few days, and just caught up with this thread. How is Fister doing? I hope he is back to 'his' spot on the bed. :)

Randi
04-29-2002, 05:51 AM
Fister, John and I are overwhelmed with your sweet responses. It really helped us a lot! :)
The embattled warrior came back from his joust with the vets around 5 o'clock yesterday. When he jumped out of the box, he rushed immediately under the bed (his safe spot) but came out 5 minutes later and went round to check all his special places in the flat. Then into the litter box to pee a little - he was in and out of there 3-4 times in the first hour. Then he had to sit in the windowsill and see if the street looked the same and then in the kitchen window to see if there were any cats in the yard. Only 2 hours later, he wanted to go out, but NO WAY! Part of his tummy has been shaved and he had a bandage (plaster) around one leg. That we could take off, no problem.

He is going to have some medicine for 10 days, antibiotica (Synulox) and Prednisolon. We took a few pics of him we'll post here later.
Last night, he looked so happy to be back, he came up in our bed and just could't get enough cuddles - by now, I think he has had one from all of you!! :D Since then, he’s done practically nothing but lie in our (his!) bed and sleep and look very happy. He seems pretty exhausted by it all. Two days in a prisoner of war camp with a tube up your sensitive bits is definately no fun!

I was worried about his reaction to giving him the pills (Synulox), but this morning, it was no problem. I did it while he was laying in between our pillows, and luckily he seems to like those.

He has to have the diet food Precription s/d and nothing else, but that’s what he was already eating. I’ve been thinking about boiling the water we give him, I don’t know if there’s too much calcium in it, but I’ll have a chat about it with our vet.

Thanks again for your very sweet posts!

Gio
04-29-2002, 06:20 AM
I'm late... again. I really have to hook that PC at home! I'm pleased that Fister is doing better. Please give him a huge hug from me!

sirocco
04-29-2002, 06:27 AM
I'm SO glad Fister is back with you!!! It's great! I'm feeling much better now :D :D :D

You care a lot about him, and I'm sure that'll do!!

Give Fister a special cuddle from Siro, Neelix and me!!!

Nita

Former User
04-29-2002, 06:28 AM
Randi, great to hear Fister is doing fine, and exploring and checking things out :) Good boy Fister! Headbumpies from Casper and Kitty!

purrley
04-29-2002, 07:32 AM
Randi - I'm so pleased to hear your Fister is home and doing well. I know that expense is incredible. But we do what we have to do cause we love em so much. But I can't help but think that the veterinary profession takes advantage of our loving nature a bit too much sometimes.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-29-2002, 10:07 AM
Soooo happy Fister is back home and taking over the bed again. :D I'm sure he missed that bed quite a bit and is the most happy cat in the world now that he's home again. Hopefully with the special diet and the antibiotics this won't happen again to the poor Fister.

momoffuzzyfaces
04-29-2002, 11:43 AM
What good news to start the day with!!! Please give Fister another hug from me.

lynnestankard
04-29-2002, 12:08 PM
Oh I'm so pleased he's back home with you and his Daddy, Randi -
isn't he the bravest boy ever?
Please give him another hug from me and Ketchum's lying on my arm as I write and the look on his face - 'Tell the kid he done good!!' :D :D :D

Lynne

yorkster
04-29-2002, 06:07 PM
Yay! Fister's home! :)

He's good at taking pills? That's great, I wish my cat would be- I have to hide them in his squishy treats.

krazyaboutkatz
05-01-2002, 12:41 AM
I'm so glad to here that Fister is finally home. I hope his health improves so he'll never have to go through this again or you either. :D

Randi
05-01-2002, 06:17 AM
Thanks for your support everybody! ;) Fister even takes his pills! :D I was quite worried about how to get them down his throat both morning and evening, but it's going surprizingly well. I do it when he's waking up from a nap while he's still very relaxed. Hope it will continue this way for all 10 days!

I must also report that his transport box is still standing in the living room, open lid and a blanket in - guess what!! Yesterday, he had crawled in and was already half asleep, when we came into the room. And when we woke up this morning, he was in it again. Amazing!!! I bet he won't do that if we're going on holiday! (we're not at the moment with that vet bill!)

sasvermont
05-01-2002, 10:45 AM
Glad you are all much happier now, especially the VET! $$$$$

Here's to Fister, that oh so sweet kitty!

:cool:

lizbud
05-01-2002, 12:16 PM
HOORAY FOR FISTER

So glad to hear he's home & loving it !!! :D

I think I'll borrow your ideas about the carrier(leaving it out)
and also the way you get him to take his pills.(Get to him
when he's sleepy & relaxed). Hugs to Brave boy Fister!!!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-01-2002, 04:18 PM
Yes, lizbud, it works. I just posted in the other Fister thread that it works quite well for me and Tubby. :)