PDA

View Full Version : Are you a vegetarian?

Heather Wallace
04-26-2002, 01:09 PM
Some people say, that if you are a real animal lover then you shouldn't eat meat.

When I was 15 yrs old I became obsessed with animal rights in a big way and so I became a vegetarian. I had to stop though as it was causing be to much stress due to always thinking about how cruel the world was, alway looking on the bleek side.Then at 18 yrs old I decided to eat tuna, chicken etc for variety. It is basically the same now, although now I try to do good things for animals instead of trying to save the world (impossible task).

What about you, what do you think?, let's a have good old discussion. Please note we are not condemning you if you are or aren't a vegetarian.

Ann
04-26-2002, 01:18 PM
I'm not a vegetarian and I doubt I ever will be. To be frank, I hate vegetables, they are yucky and I never eat any. I wouldn't be able to live as an vegetarian. Besides that, I also have some severe health problems and I need to eat a varied diet that includes meat.

But yes, there is many instances where I feel awful for eating an animal. I guess I'm totally split on this issue.

A quote that I find quite meaningful though (and which is about this subject):

The animals you eat are not those who devour others; you do not eat the carnivorous beasts, you take them as your pattern. You only hunger after sweet and gentle creatures who harm no one, which follow you, serve you, and are devoured by you as the reward of their service - John Jacques Rousseau

momoffuzzyfaces
04-26-2002, 01:25 PM
I'm not a vegetarian but eat very little meat, mostly because I just don't like it. I eat hamburger once in a while but would rather eat a shoe than a steak. They taste about the same to me. I only eat white meat of chicken but don't eat it very often. I do eat tuna which I have to share with the cats. I use meat more as a flavoring than actually eat it. When I fix stew, I usually fish the chunks of meat out and give it to the cats. Cheese is a big staple in my life. I guess I'm just picky. I like the Oriental custom of thanking the animal for giving it's life for my food.

Logan
04-26-2002, 01:32 PM
I like meat......wish I didn't.

tatsxxx11
04-26-2002, 01:50 PM
Mostly fish and shellfish for me, probably 5 times a week. I eat lots of pasta and veggies too; love salad and all kinds of grains. I could easily go without meat in my diet. Everytime I see meat on my plate I see in my mind an image of the animal it once was and I lose my appetite. Since childhood, I have always loved fishing. My Dad would take me all the time and we'd cook our catch for dinner. As I grew older, I would go, but would make my husband put the fish back; it has a family I said. Now, I can't even bear the thought of a hook in it's mouth! I still eat fish, although the mass harvesting of millions of tons of fish per year through gill netting I find very to be very upseting, especially since so many "unwanted" species get caught in the process and are killed for no reason. :(

Edwina's Secretary
04-26-2002, 02:26 PM
I too would like to be a vegetarian -- for health as well as emotional reasons.

I debate this often with myself (and my stepson who is a vegetarian and sometimes a vegan). If we all became vegetarians, what would happen to the cows, pigs, and chickens? They don't make real good house pets, if there is no profit motives farmers aren't going to keep them and they would have trouble surviving in the wild. (I know, cows give milk and chicken eggs -- but what about the males??) So which is better for them, ensuring the survival of the species by eating meat or seeing cows, chickens, and pigs in zoos?

So I try and eat "further down the food chain" chicken, fish, etc. but sometimes I just eat meat.

04-26-2002, 02:52 PM
:) I'm not a vegetarian ; I do not eat very much meat , but do not think I could miss it !! Sometimes people say fish is more healthier , but I do not know what to think anymore ..:confused: :rolleyes: .
As long as it is not proven to be unhealthy , I will keep serving it ..!

luckies4me
04-26-2002, 03:21 PM
I am not a vegetarian but I usually only eat white meat. I love chicken and I LOVE CORNED BEEF. That is the only beef I will eat. I hate all others. I have thought of becomming a vegetarian but I have to have meat. I just thinks it's sad is all.

AdoreMyDogs
04-26-2002, 04:54 PM
I have been a vegetarian for over 7 years. Actually this July 21st marks 8 years that I have been living without meat or meat broths. The only thing that I miss is crab, lobster, and shrimp.

Heather Wallace
04-26-2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by AdoreMyDogs
I have been a vegetarian for over 7 years. Actually this July 21st marks 8 years that I have been living without meat or meat broths. The only thing that I miss is crab, lobster, and shrimp.

What was your reasons, was it like me, because of the animals?

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-26-2002, 07:36 PM
I am not a vegetarian....... I CAN NOT however cook meat. As long as someone else cooks it I am o.k. Everyone always assumes I am because I love animals so much, AND I DO, but I love to eat meat too. One way I try to look at it is ..... I would NEVER want to see uneaten meat go to waste....... I THINK THAT IS TERRIBLE that an animal was killed for no reason.

Cynthia
04-26-2002, 08:26 PM
I heard a great term on NPR once -- "flexitarian." And that's how I can best describe myself. Meat is not the center of my diet...like tats, I can go for a long time without it. I eat primarily pasta or rice and vegetables; occasionally a little chicken or fish. I really love vegetables and I don't eat beef. I guess my initial motivation was primarily for health reasons, although I have become something of an animal welfare advocate as well. I try to avoid anything that's environmentally irresponsible (e.g., overfished species) and I eat organic food when I can. Will I ever become completely vegetarian or vegan? Probably not. But I think I've achieved a happy medium for me that's resulted in health benefits. And being in the late 40s, it's a REAL consideration for me!! :D

LoudLou
04-26-2002, 10:59 PM
No... I like meat. Tho I will NEVER eat a "Friend" and if I had to hunt for my food, then yes I'd be a Vegetarian. For now THANK GOD or Whomever, I can "hunt" at the Supermarket!;)

RachelJ
04-27-2002, 06:20 AM
In our household, we have cut down on meat considerably. Mostly we eat fish and chicken and turkey but we try to eat as many completely meatless meals as possible. I hate to admit this, but the meat we do eat is more for convenience than feeling that we need to have meat. It is easier to have a chicken breast, potatoes and a vegetable than to think up and prepare a completely vegetarian meal. Plus I don't have a clue how to prepare things like tofu. I've read recipes, but I think I need someone to show me. If anyone wants to share an easy to make vegetarian dish recipe, I would love to have a couple more to add to our repetoire. Something we eat frequently is our version of red beans and rice, which includes celery, onions, green pepper, tomatoes (seasoned with jalapenos) and of course kidney beans. We eat this with corn muffins and a few small pieces of cheese.

sirocco
04-27-2002, 09:29 AM
Heather, thank you for starting this thread! I became vegetarian just 6 weeks ago!:eek: Mostly for emotional reasons!! I said to myself (and to those willing to hear me ;) ) "Well, I have a cat, but I can imagine myself loving a pig as much as I love my Siro!" and then, of course, everybody paying attention to me burst out laughing - and I like it that way. I suppose I mean Iīm veggie for emotional reason, but I donīt want to fuss a lot about it, and, of course, I understand and respect when others eat meat (in fact, I ate meat myself two months ago! :D ) I also love vegetables and pasta and salads, so it wasnīt a great change for me at all, though I must admit I like (liked !?) meat :rolleyes: Itīs just a personal choice!!

Nita:)

anna_66
04-27-2002, 09:37 AM
I have to say I like meat, "some". Because of Marks cholesterol and blood pressure, we usually eat chicken or fish, and lots and lots of veggies and fruits! I like some of the others, could "almost" do without meat. When we do have it, I have a very small portion. But I occasionally like to have my steak! Sorry! But "Kudos" to those of you who don't!

Blackfly
04-27-2002, 11:44 AM
No, im not a vegetarian, i love steak, and im especially fond of shellfish. I think if i were rich and could afford the expensive health food like Tofu and other meat replacements, i could give up beef, but i will never be able to give up shellfish

lailamara
04-27-2002, 02:10 PM
We've been vegetarians for 15 years and I most confess I don't miss meat at all. We eat a varied menu not depending on meat replacements but just good grains , veggies and fruit etc. It's more work to shop and cook but the fresh good food is worth it and becomes a habit. I try to buy products that are non leather whenever I can and try to support those companies who don't test products on animals. As for what would happen to all the farm animals... well the elimination of factory farms... maybe a return to small scale family farms...I know not everyone will give up meat and the animals that are raised for food will have a better quality of life. After travelling in S.E.Asia and seeing the chickens and pigs and cows have free run of the houses and farms at least their lives seem happier for a while and maybe that's all we can ask.