PDA

View Full Version : question about cat doors

BitsyNaceyDog
04-03-2006, 07:55 AM
Justin and I are in the process of buying a new house and I'm trying to figure out where the best place for the litter box is. The house has a huge laundry room and I think that's where I'll probably put it.

My question is about using a cat door so I don't have to keep the door to the laundry room open all the time. My cats have never used a cat door before, is it hard to teach a cat to use one? I'd appreciate any advise about using a cat door. Also any pros and/or cons, I want to know it all.

Thanks in advance.

catmandu
04-03-2006, 09:46 AM
I would put in there as well unless you ahve senior Cats who can not easily make the trek up and down stairs.
I have one in the New Bathroom as it easier to clean up on the tiles.

kuhio98
04-03-2006, 12:06 PM
Halo, Cammie and Pepper all understood the cat door when they adopted us. We taught Kuhio by getting on either side of the door and encouraging her through with a treat. She picked it up in no time but never liked the door. As soon as she felt the resistance on her head, she'd back out. But, she eventually adjusted to it.

mruffruff
04-03-2006, 12:48 PM
My former strays learned fast. I kept the door open for a day or two and they got used to going through the open door. Then I let the door down and they realized that they would have to move the flap. Some decided to pull it toward them instead of pushing it open and continue to. And they love to let it flap several times in a row, usually at night.

BTW, I used a heavy rubber band attached to a screw above the door to hold the door open. I still prop the door open on nice days.

K & L
04-03-2006, 03:11 PM
We have cat doors going from inside to the garage and then one from the garage to the cat run outdoors. We had no problems with our cats learning how to use them. In fact, they were so curious they did it all on their own!

BitsyNaceyDog
04-03-2006, 04:24 PM
Thank you all for easing my mind. I actually have 2 litter boxes. The main one is a large rubber main tub, and that's the one I want in the laundry room. I'll keep a smaller litter box in my bathroom too.

I know Jimmy and Kitten will use a cat door without problem. Now after reading your responses I'm more confident that Oliver and Sundae will learn to use it. My only concern now lies with Raisin, I will have the second box though, so of she doesn't like the cat door she can use that.