PDA

View Full Version : Horse Shipping

CarrieB
04-01-2006, 06:55 PM
I saw a horse I wanted in a different state... but I am 16 hours away, and I know my dad wouldn't want to go all the way over there. I know it would be easier if I found a horse closer, but I was just wondering if you guys ever bought a horse from a different state and had it shipped. Thanks!

Toby's my baby
04-01-2006, 07:48 PM
I'm sorry, I can't help you. I have been having the same problem though. (finding horses I LOVE, but then they are way too far away) Truthfully, I dont think I could trust someone to haul my horse, unless I knew them. Do you show horses or anything? Is there anybody you know that is showing horses in that direction??

CarrieB
04-01-2006, 07:53 PM
I don't know anybody that shows... but I might be able to get my mom to come up there with me... I just wish there was another way!

Toby's my baby
04-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Is there any way that you could get a video and pictures (if you already havent) of the horse, before you drive all the way there, and have to turn around? I got a horse a few years ago, and it was only like 3 hours away, but we brought our horse trailor with us when we went. I didn't see any pictures of him or anything, but we ended up getting him. If I were you I would request videos of it doing everything, and then, if you still like it, I would take the drive myself, just to be safe. ;)

buttercup132
04-01-2006, 08:10 PM
I wouldnt do it. People can say the horse is fine and dandy but once you pay for it and all the shipping expensis it could turn out to be a real bad horse...or they could send you the wrong horse...you just never know these days people go to alot for money..I think you should try sticking local

G535
04-01-2006, 09:15 PM
Years ago I used to use racehorse transport (the people who transported racehorses from state to state in Australia), not sure if you have something like that over there. You really should have a trusted friend see the horse first if you can't get there.

buttercup132
04-01-2006, 09:19 PM
Years ago I used to use racehorse transport (the people who transported racehorses from state to state in Australia), not sure if you have something like that over there. You really should have a trusted friend see the horse first if you can't get there. Ya like someone who know how you ride like but it would still be better for YOU to get a feel of the horse first.

flamepony12
04-02-2006, 12:13 AM
You'd hire someone to trailer it. I'd definitely go and try it first.

Miss Z
04-02-2006, 03:19 AM
You'd hire someone to trailer it. I'd definitely go and try it first.

Yes, I strongly advise to 'try before you buy'. The horse could turn out to be strong, nappy, aggresive in the stable, it's always best to see the horse in EVERY aspect of its daily life before you decide you want it. Unfortunately, videos, photos and words don't prove anything. When you want to buy, you should always watch the horse:
Being caught from the field
Behavior in the stable
Being tacked up/rugs put on/groomed
Led in-hand
Ridden by someone else
THEN ridden by you.
Unless you are extremely experienced in horse handling and riding, you really should look at all those things. You'd probably also need to get the horse checked over by a vet to make sure that its joints are OK, doesn't have any diseases etc. It does seem like a very long and labourious process, but it really is important that you choose the right horse!;)
Also, if the horse is 16 hours away, I really think that is too far. Horses aren't to keen on travel, most I know get moody in the trailer after about 20mins. The horse will be very stressed out by the time it arrives at your house, and in completely new surroundings may even become frantic. I think it would be better to get a horse a littl closer to where you live. Hope that helps:)

Suki Wingy
04-02-2006, 03:57 PM
Since horses are so expensive and such a big commitment anyway, if you really want this one I would advise you to fly out and try it, have it vetted, do everything Miss Z said, and if you want it still, hire a service. I got that idea from this site. http://www.bitsandbytesfarm.com/ I'm thinking about doing that when I'm ready to buy a horse.