PDA

View Full Version : A witness to animal abuse!

Glacier
04-01-2006, 01:25 AM
What an awful, awful night! Just after 6pm tonight, I was the local gas station which doubles as a postal outlet. My Mom had sent me a parcel and I was looking forward to a care package! As I was leaving, a car pulled up and a very intoxicated lady got out. There was a dog on a flexi-leash running around the outside of the car. At first I thought that my eyes were deceiving me and that she had just let the dog out when she got to the station. But I decided to wait in the lot until she left.

She got into the car and drove away, with a beautiful young husky-shepherd cross still ON HIS LEASH which was hanging out the car window. Watching him struggle to keep up and loose his footing repeatedly will haunt my dreams for a long time! I immediately called the RCMP and Animal Control. Thank God that I have both of those numbers memorized! I raced after her in my truck, blowing the horn and yelling. About the equivalent of five blocks later, she pulled into a residence. I ran up to her yelling things that I can not retype here. She actually told me she just wanted him to get some exercise. I completely lost it at that point. Until then I hadn't noticed there was anyone else there, when I heard a voice say "i'm right behind you Tamara, I saw it all too." My neighbor, fellow musher and animal lover, Jeff had been following her as well.

Animal Control showed up quite quickly with the RCMP not far behind. The RCMP had me identify her and the vehicle she was driving--with no liscense, no plate, no registration or insurance. The RCMP constable took her away in cuffs and she is spending the night in drunk tank facing several charges related to the lack of paperwork and an impaired driving count. The Animal Control officer just called me back a little while ago and he has laid two charges of intentionally causing harm to an animal. I will have to testify in court and I gave both of them a handwritten 6 page statement. Fortunately, there were two of us who saw the exact same thing so there will be no way out of the charges! There were others I'm sure if they wanted to look for them!

The dog is named Nitro and Thank God, he suffered only minor injures to his front paws. His pads were torn and one dewclaw ripped off. He was very shaken though and so scared. He has been taken away and is safe for now. His fate will be decided after the court proceedings are finished. He's very sweet and friendly even in the middle of all this. I'm sure he will find a home where he is loved and treasured and properly exercised. If he doesn't, he is welcome here.

I just can't believe anyone could be so unbelievablely stupid!!! I've done some stupid things in my life, but this is just beyond me.

(Karen, if this should have been in the dog house, please move it)

.sarah
04-01-2006, 01:35 AM
Oh my God, how awful!! Poor little puppy :(

Good for you for doing everything you did!

finn's mom
04-01-2006, 01:47 AM
You truly are a guardian angel. That dog is lucky, despite his misfortune. This was a crossing of paths that was meant to occur. Thank goodness you were there to witness that, and, to be Nitro's voice.

Cinder & Smoke
04-01-2006, 01:50 AM
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif

Well, Good on ya, Tamara ~ for getting involved and taking action!!
And Thanks to Neighbor Jeff - for being your backup! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif

I hope Nitro and Crazy Lady get their day in court quickly ...
Crazy needs to spend some time in the slammer;
and Nitro need to be released from her ownership and adopted to a Loving FurrEver Home.

Good Luck in court!!

dukedogsmom
04-01-2006, 02:18 AM
Sounds like your animal control is much better than ours here. Maybe the laws are different, too. Ours are way too lenient, I think. I'm so glad you were able to save that poor dog. If he goes back to that idiot, I think Iwould die! I hope Nitro finds the good home that he deserves.

RobiLee
04-01-2006, 05:53 AM
I'm sitting here in shock. What a horrible thing to witness. Thank God for you and Jeff. I hope that dog finds a wonderful new home with the love and care that it deserves. I think you are amazing, Tamara.

Alysser
04-01-2006, 06:30 AM
What a horrible thing to do! That women sounds like a HUGE JERK! :mad: I'm so glad you called the Animal Control. Thanks for saving the puppy! :D

joycenalex
04-01-2006, 07:05 AM
blessed mother! tamara, thanks so much to you and jeff for turning that ...person... over to the RCMP and animal control. poor nitro, i pray his next human will do better by him.

moosmom
04-01-2006, 07:27 AM
Tamara,

A big THANK YOU!!! I've said it before, and I'll say it again...Some people are just too stupid to live. I hope this idiot gets the book thrown at her!! :mad:

What you did, Tamara was save the dog's life. If this incident had gone unnoticed, God only knows what kind of life this poor creature would've had to endure.

The good thing is there are 2 eyewitnesses, so there's no way she can say it's your word against hers.

(((((((((HUGS))))))))))))) to you Tamara (and Jeff) for doing the right thing!

Vela
04-01-2006, 07:31 AM
I am so glad you saw what happened and were able to help that poor baby. I have tears in my eyes just thinking about him being so scared and running trying to keep up with that idiotic woman! I hope she gets a decent punishment! They never do much around here to people who harm animals. Stupid woman, someone ought to do the same thing to her!

pitc9
04-01-2006, 08:08 AM
OMG!! Thank goD you both were there to help!!

Toby's my baby
04-01-2006, 08:41 AM
OMG! That is horrible!! I can't believe someone would actually do that! :mad: She should never be allowed to own a dog again. And good luck to the pup, in finding a new home! :(

zoey
04-01-2006, 08:49 AM
Awwww poor doggie. I bet that ripped out claw is so painful! :(
I hope that lady gets some serious help!
And that she doesn't have kids....

Catty1
04-01-2006, 08:49 AM
What a sick, sick woman...sounds like drinking is a big part of it. I hope she does jail time AND mandatory counselling.

AND gets some exercise tied to a moving car!

I doubt she'll get Nitro back - and if she does, he can always go "poof" ;) !

Tamara - how great that you and Jeff were right there! Bless you!

hugs
Catty1

Miss Z
04-01-2006, 09:08 AM
Well done, that is truly a courageous and great thing to do, you kept going to save that dog and suceeded. I'm sure that Nitro would be extremely grateful! I would have been really upset if I'd have seen that too, what a heartless, stupid woman. I hope she gets severely punished for what she's done:mad:

k9krazee
04-01-2006, 09:39 AM
WOW. Just giving her dog some exercise :mad: Some people. I am SO glad you (and Jeff) were there to witness it, who knows what else she could've done to this dog! Hope Nitro finds a fantastic forever home!!

joanofark
04-01-2006, 09:54 AM
Thank goodness there are people like you and Jeff in the world!!:( Poor pup, I hope he has a speedy recovery and finds an owner he/she can TRUST!

Karen
04-01-2006, 10:26 AM
How terribly, terribly glad we are that you and Jeff were there to intervene, that Animal Control and RCMP came so quickly and arrested the woman.

I hope Nitro gets a great home now, and can leave behind that awful, awful person.

Cataholic
04-01-2006, 12:43 PM
What an ANGEL you are/were!

wolf_Q
04-01-2006, 12:47 PM
That poor dog. :( I'm glad you were there to help! I hope she gets the punishment she deserves and the dog finds a loving home!

lizbud
04-01-2006, 12:55 PM
I'm so glad you & your friend were in the right place at the right time.
(devine intervention maybe) :) Thanks to you both for stepping up when
Nitro surely needed a friend. I wish more people would have your courage
to do the right thing by the animals.(((HUGS)))

rg_girlca
04-01-2006, 01:20 PM
I cannot truly say what I want to in regards to this sorry excuse of a human being. (I don't want to be banned.) Monster is more like it.

Glacier, I am so glad that your instincts kicked in to stick around to check out the situation and not just drive away.

I'm glad that you and your friend Jeff followed this woman and that the RCMP and animal control got there so quickly to take care of the situation.

Just wanted to exercise her dog. :mad: :mad:

I pray that Nitro never has to see the likes of this woman ever again, or any other animal for that matter.

Please let us know the outcome of all of this.

In my books, you are a hero for saving poor sweet Nitro.

Glacier
04-01-2006, 01:57 PM
Sounds like your animal control is much better than ours here. Maybe the laws are different, too. Ours are way too lenient, I think.

Animal control here is very good. It helps that they know me and Stuart well too. Stuart worked with them alot when he was running the shelter. I have adopted animals directly from them before as well. There is a rotating shift of animal control officers and fortunately last night the best of the bunch was on!

The laws are too lenient here too. She's likely to get in more trouble for the driving infractions than for hurting her dog. But at least the dog is safe and hopefully he'll get to start a new happy life soon.

krazyaboutkatz
04-01-2006, 02:33 PM
I'm so glad you & your friend were in the right place at the right time.
(devine intervention maybe) :) Thanks to you both for stepping up when
Nitro surely needed a friend. I wish more people would have your courage
to do the right thing by the animals.(((HUGS)))
Very well said.
I sure hope that this woman won't ever be allowed to have any kind of animal again.:mad: I also hope that Nitro will find a wonderful new loving and caring home.:)

elizabethann
04-01-2006, 06:22 PM
I can't believe what I just read. I am sitting here with my mouth wide open. All I can say besides expletives towards this obviously sick woman is that you and your neighbor are my heros. Thank you so much for saving this dogs life. If it hadn't been for the 2 of you, this dog could have died under the wheel of this sick woman's car or gotten seriously injured. Thank you so much. Excuse me now while I go and kiss and hug my kitties and dog.

Regards,

Lobodeb
04-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Tamera, I've said this before, and I'll say it again. You are truly a Godsend. Your nick name should be, Glacier, Best Friend to Yukon Huskies. After the inital shock of what I was reading wore off, I was thinking to myself, "I bet Tamara adds Nitro to her pack."

Hugs to you yet again for being so amazing. You and Jeff just changed this poor dog's life. I hope that woman gets what she deserves.

Queen of Poop
04-03-2006, 08:38 AM
There are truly no words I can use here to describe how angry I am at that woman. Thank God that you and Jeff were there and able to take action to save that poor doggies life. Perhaps little Nitro will be dog number 24? 25?

gini
04-03-2006, 06:00 PM
It sounds as though Nitro can REALLY run! So let's get him all healed, in excellent health AND THEN..................

Tie HER up to Nitro with a leash and let Nitro run to his hearts content.

Sounds like the little lady could use some exercise (aside from lifting glass or can to her lips) herself!

Sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone - but these kinds of stories make me absolutely sick at heart.

king2005
04-07-2006, 08:59 AM
Its heart breaking what some people do to their dogs. There is a right & WRONG way to walk/run a dog. Using a car can be safe in the right areas, right amount of people (& the right people) in the car/trunk & proper tools. Also a 4 wheeler is good with 2 people & proper tools.

We had to do that for my friends dog. He broke a halti, dragged both of us down the street (we weren't walking or running, we had fallen over), also at that time there was no prong choaker. The dog HAD to get some excercize as he was getting fat & trashing the house! He even pulled the deck 2 feet from the house, bent a solid pole in the backyard & was killing the tree we tried to tie him to (he had 30+ feet of car chain). The 4wheeler was a dream come true for us. We knew he would fallow it casue we were on it as he hated to be left behind. We used the strongest retractible leash on the market & tied it to the back of the 4 wheeler. My friend drove & I had to say faster, slower, STOP & what no. NOT once did we have an accident, as we had 20 feet of leash to work with & the 4 wheeler had great stopping time. The dog lost some weight, was less restless & we were finally able to train the silly thing to sit, stay, down, paw & once the prog choakers came out, we were able to walk him, but still used the 4 wheeler to run him as he really did like it :)

But to drag a dog & not care or notice?!?! there is NO excuse for that! Its just plain SICK!

lvpets2002
04-07-2006, 09:12 AM
:( Oh my Glacier how so horrible for this poor baby.. :mad: That just makes me sick of that horrible women & maybe she needs some exercise hanging out of the car..You Think!!! I am so thankfull you was there for this baby to have resued & stopped this horrible abuse.. :)

Glacier
04-07-2006, 03:22 PM
I just did an interview with the local paper. The Animal Control officer thought the incident warranted some publicity so he let the media know about it. It will be in tonight's paper. It might be on the website later today--the paper here isn't published until late afternoon! www.whitehorsestar.com

king2005
04-07-2006, 03:25 PM
I just did an interview with the local paper. The Animal Control officer thought the incident warranted some publicity so he let the media know about it. It will be in tonight's paper. It might be on the website later today--the paper here isn't published until late afternoon! www.whitehorsestar.com

Thats great, casue then everyone will know what that monster did!! & it'll make finding the pooch a loving home & possible get some extra donations into the shelter for her wounds :)

Catty1
04-07-2006, 09:41 PM
Oops - had no password, and didn't want to subscribe...those poor puppies! How can people be...oh, never mind, it doesn't help!

Glacier, could you copy and paste the article on poor Nitro?

Catty1

king2005
04-07-2006, 09:53 PM
Oops - had no password, and didn't want to subscribe...those poor puppies! How can people be...oh, never mind, it doesn't help!

Glacier, could you copy and paste the article on poor Nitro?

Catty1

it was 300.00 for canadians & 500.00 for americans DANG!!!

Glacier
04-07-2006, 09:57 PM
They didn't put the whole thing on the website. I'll try to scan it. I bought a copy tonight.

cyber-sibes
04-08-2006, 12:53 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek:
OMG! I just saw this - how shocking! I'm glad they decided to do an interview - a little public outcry might help stiffen the sentance this wingnut gets. :mad: Hopefully, she'll also be court-ordered to some AA meetings. This is a great example of the insanity of alcohol abuse, as well as animal abuse.

captain
04-11-2006, 02:01 AM
Tamara,

Thank heavens you were there (and of course, your neighbour too).

Damn right - who said it earlier - some people are too stupid to live!!! :mad:

todd
04-11-2006, 09:55 PM
wow thats so sad :mad:

CaliGirl
04-12-2006, 12:11 AM
:mad: What!?

That makes me soo mad.... I'm so grateful you confronted her. That dog could not have survived that! Kudos for you :D