PDA

View Full Version : Hammies Gone!

lil_K
04-25-2002, 08:31 PM
Anybody ever have problems with lost animals or pets? :( :( But Found them after? :D :D

Lil_K

Logan
04-25-2002, 09:09 PM
I had a horrible problem with my last two hamsters, who are now gone to the Rainbow Bridge :( . Thank goodness I always found them before one of the cats or dogs, but it always scared me to death. They died of old age, but probably cut 10 years off of my life everytime they escaped! Our current hamster, Olivia, doesn't escape, but she sure tries!

I hope you find your hamster. Do you just have one? Or are more than one lost? :( Good luck!!

aly
04-25-2002, 10:21 PM
I've never had a lost pet before. Oh wait, besides my snakes in juinor high, but they were about 6 inches from their aquarium hiding in the blinds :D

The shelter I worked at did have a dog stolen which was missing for three months but she is back SAFE AND SOUND :) You can read that thread here:
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8089

lynnestankard
04-26-2002, 12:29 PM
When I was about 10 we had a tortoise that ran away!!! Honestly! He had his name & address on his shell but he never came home - I hope someone took him in and looked after him:(
I still think of him and smile he was a great character.

Lynne

Edwina's Secretary
04-26-2002, 12:46 PM
When I was about 10 we had a tortoise that ran away

I love the mental image. The tortoise with a little suitcase and a sign on his back -- sort of a Winnie-the-Pooh with a shell trudging along life's dusty highway.....

jennifert
04-26-2002, 12:59 PM
Or Paddington Bear..."from deepest darkest Peru" :)

wolflady
04-26-2002, 01:30 PM
Boy, I can relate to this!! When I was little, our hamster at the time, Sam, got out of his cage and we all were frantic trying to find him! He had gotten out in the basement, which was a nightmare because the basement was only half finished and quite large. Needless to say there were a lot of hiding places for a hammie to hide!! It took us about 3 hours, but we did finally find him hiding behind some bookshelves!

Ok, when I was in college, I (illegally) had 3 pet mice in my dorm room! LOL LOL Yup, I was one of THOSE people who had pets even though we weren't allowed. ANYWAY, I came home from lab one night and all 3 mice were gone out of the tank!!!!! :eek: I started to panic thinking that they could have gotten out through the space under my door. I could imagine all the girls on my floor running about and shrieking at the site of *gasp* mice!! LOL LOL I ended up jamming a towel under my door, so if they were still inside my room, they wouldn't get out. Then, I tipped the tank on it's side and put a lot of tasty treats in hopes that it would lure them in. That tactic actually worked for one of them! My black mouse found the treats and started nibbling so I tipped the tank back upright. Ok, one down...2 to go!!
I kept looking, but didn't find the other two (my 'cow mice' as I called them since they were white with black splotches) :( I imagined the worst...that they did get out from under my door. I spent late into the night searching. Finally I was so tired, that I ended up crashing on my bed. In the middle of the night, I felt an itch on my neck, and groggily I reached my hand to scratch, and felt something furry!! What a freaky feeling when you're asleep! It was one of my missing mice climbing on me!! How wierd is THAT?? So, I quickly scopped him up and put him in the tank with the other one. I then heard some scrabbling around in my trash can, and elated I looked and sure enough if was my 3rd missing mouse! Thank goodness I found them all! How on earth do mice get in trashcans anyway?? :confused: The sides are slippery, and the can was pretty big. oh well...i had found my 3 amigos and was glad (especially since I was never caught having mice in my room the whole 5 years I was in college! LOL LOL )! :D ;)

Logan
04-26-2002, 01:37 PM
Were you lucky or what, Karen?? LOL!!!!

One night, Helen came crying into my room. I awoke with a start and said "What's wrong?". She cried, "Rusty is in my bed". Rusty was our hamster at the time. I said, "no darling, you must have had a bad dream. Would you like me to help you back to bed?". She cried "but Mimi's in my room too". I went with her, back to her bedroom, and guess what......There was Rusty Hamster sitting in Helen's bed!! To this day, I have never figured out how he crossed the room and climbed in her bed!! :eek: He had escaped through his door in his wire cage, and Mimi was in her room (can't remember where she was, but thank Heaven, she wasn't in the bed too!).

From that day forward, there was always a clothespin above Rusty's door, so he couldn't escape!! I miss Rusty, the best Hamster ever. :(

lil_K
04-27-2002, 07:55 AM
Thanx for all ur reply's :)

Spacelys MoMmie

Logan
04-27-2002, 11:04 AM
Did you find your hamster? :confused:

lil_K
04-27-2002, 11:09 AM
yes i did he was in my closet:p

Logan
04-27-2002, 11:56 AM
Hurray!!! :D :D :D I'm so glad. We were always lucky enough to find ours too, but not after a ton of worrying!!!

AmberLee
04-27-2002, 12:09 PM
I'm so relieved you found him. Many years ago I lost a hamster, "Queen Victoria" (she was never amused and rather stately), and never got her back. I felt so bad. Her cage had a defective catch, but I thought it had been fixed to correct it ...

slleipnir
04-27-2002, 12:36 PM
I lost a gerbil once. I didn't realize they could jump really high, and she jumped out of her cage and hid in a hole in our kitchen

lil_K
04-27-2002, 01:56 PM
Selleipnir did u ever find your gerbil?:confused: