PDA

View Full Version : my Hit & Run --> I need to VENT!!!

christa
03-29-2006, 03:25 PM
I am so mad right now!

I haven't really posted about this, just mentioned it in one of my Brodie posts . . .

Last week, my car was involved in a Hit & Run. I was in Sears shopping. A man was sitting in his vehicle outside (waiting on his wife) and witnessed a vehicle that SLAMMED into my back bumper! :mad: The driver looked up into his rear view mirror, and drove off.

The witness got his license plate number and a description of the car. He wrote it down . . . along with his name & address & phone number and left it attached to my windshield. I found it when I came out of the store.

We thought we had the guy, since we had his plate number. The cops put out a warrant for his arrest. We were so appreciative to our witness, and still are. That was very nice of him . . . we even sent him a gift certificate to the Texas Roadhouse.

Anyway, I just found out a little while ago that the plates were bad. There's no name connected to those plates. So we don't know who hit my car.

I am just so upset now . . . I guess I should have seen this coming. I am so upset & so mad. Why do people have so little regard for other people's belongings??? I am 25 years old and have a NICE NEW vehicle that I pay payments on every month . . . haven't even had it for a year. It didn't have a dent in it. Not a scratch!!! You just can't have anything nice anymore! People are so rude, so selfish and so heartless! Now *I* am going to have to pay the 500 dollar deductible to get it fixed becuase this guy wouldn't stop and fess up to what he did? OMG!!! I WANT TO SCREAM!!!

I don't even know how much damage it's done. I haven't had an estimate done yet. I just know that the entire back bumper will have to be replaced. Over the phone, the appraiser with my insurance company said that it sounds like that should exceed my deductible. Great. I'm gonna take it to the garage next week and get and estimate.

Anyone else feel like when it rains, it pours? I've been feeling like that lately.

Karen
03-29-2006, 03:32 PM
The false plate is probably indicative of why he didn't stop. He knew he was in a car with an illegal plate, probably a stolen vehicle, and so would have ended up in jail, probably, had he 'fessed up.

Your car will be well again, cars can be fixed. And that driver will have your car on his conscience to add to whatever reasons he was driving badly in a car with invalid plates.

Count yourself fortunate, cars can be fixed, people cannot! And you are safe and sound and well enough to be angry!

ramanth
03-29-2006, 03:36 PM
I TOTALLY sympathise with you.

I'm sorry your car was hurt. *hugs*

christa
03-29-2006, 03:44 PM
The false plate is probably indicative of why he didn't stop. He knew he was in a car with an illegal plate, probably a stolen vehicle, and so would have ended up in jail, probably, had he 'fessed up.

I know . . . when I first discovered it, I figured that he had *run* because he didn't have insurance (so many people in KY don't have). So when we discovered the witness & had his plate number, I thought we were home free! I never imagined that we'd hit a brick wall this soon!

jazzcat
03-29-2006, 03:47 PM
I'm sorry Christa. I'd say with the situation that even if the cops had found him he wouldn't have insurance so you would still be out the deductible. You'd just had the satisfaction that he was caught and would probably have a few tickets handed to him and whatever your state does for hit and run with no injury - not much I'm sure. :rolleyes:

We got a new Jeep last summer but I still drive my 1990 Jeep around town here because traffic is so bad and there are so many things that happen in parking lots. I do drive the new Jeep to my Dad's and Richard and I take it out on weekends but usually I'm in old Blue.

Hang in there!

christa
03-29-2006, 03:51 PM
Funniest thing was where I parked. What seemed to be out, all to myself. :rolleyes: I don't know how he did it. The witness said that he backed out of his spot really fast. I was parked across from him but there were no cars on either side of me. I parked over there because I was thinking about my doors not getting dinged. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

jazzcat
03-29-2006, 03:52 PM
Yikes! That is how we usually park the Jeep when we take it out. Maybe away from everyone isn't the best either.

christa
03-29-2006, 03:59 PM
Yikes! That is how we usually park the Jeep when we take it out. Maybe away from everyone isn't the best either.

Yep. That's what I told my dad. He ALWAYS taught me to "park as far away as possible so you won't get your doors dinged" . . . I really have no clue what logic that is since it seems like no matter where you park a *nice* vehicle, it always attracks people that don't think twice about parking 2 inches from your door.

moosmom
03-29-2006, 05:51 PM
Christa,

I also feel your pain. I've had so many incidences of people damaging my car and running off, it's pathetic.

One time I witnessed someone back into my driver's door. I literally chased the bitch down the street, her kids laughing at me in the rear window. I got the plate number and sure enough, it was stolen.

They need to crack down on these jerks. These pieces of crap are the reasons our insurance rates are so high. Makes me sick.

christa
03-29-2006, 11:02 PM
Makes me sick.

ME TOO. :(

I've been sick to death all day . . . since I found out that the guy had bad plates so we basically don't have a guy. I've just been sick to death.

Like I said before . . . in a matter of speaking, it's just pouring the rain on me.

I know I don't *have* to have my car fixed right away, but my car is practically new. I'm paying a pretty good payment on it every month. Is it wrong for me to *want* to get it back the way it was?

shais_mom
03-29-2006, 11:55 PM
I can totally understand also after my parents and I had our experience this weekend.
When the illegal passenger tried to run off I had never wanted to kick someone so much.

catnapper
03-30-2006, 07:04 AM
Christa, I am so sorry! This is just awful. I know what you mean by being dumped on all at once. I had that starting last October and have finally come out of it (many may say I'm STILL in it with the impending grandbaby on the way and no true means of how we're going to afford it!)

ramanth
03-30-2006, 07:20 AM
Funniest thing was where I parked. What seemed to be out, all to myself. :rolleyes: I don't know how he did it. The witness said that he backed out of his spot really fast. I was parked across from him but there were no cars on either side of me. I parked over there because I was thinking about my doors not getting dinged. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I've been doing the exact same thing with my Vibe. Parking out in no man's land to keep from getting the sides dinged up. Guess no car is safe really and all you can do is just hope for the best.

4 Dog Mother
03-30-2006, 11:18 AM
My sister used to work for the city that she lived in. She was working late at night, was the only car on that level of the city garage and a POLICE CRUISER backed into her. And even though it was his fault, her insurance had to pay to get it fixed because city vehicled aren't liable for accidents.

A priest I worked with had a similar problem. A school bus hit the rear end of his car as it was coming up to the school to pick up kids. Because it was a city school bus again their insurance does not pay.

And a few years ago I got hit turning into my own street by a car trying to pass me on the right. He sold snow cones for a living, had no vailid driver's license and no insurance.

lizbud
03-30-2006, 06:10 PM
Sorry about your car. :( It's every new car owners nightmare.
I don't know that all insurance companys do this but mine covers for
unisured drivers as well. The $500.00 deductible is a bummer.

DJFyrewolf36
03-30-2006, 07:15 PM
I'd be mad too. I get mad when someone dings my car and trust me, it aint the newest looking car on the block lol.

*HUGS* hopefully the police will find the creep.

Alysser
03-30-2006, 08:31 PM
:( I'm sorry about your car. I hope it gets fixed right away.