PDA

View Full Version : The Furminator!!! It Really Works!!!

krazyaboutkatz
03-27-2006, 01:17 AM
Hi, has any one here heard of a grooming tool called "The Furminator"? I found this online and I even though it's kind of expensive I decided to buy one. I found the best price here: The Furminator (http://www.entirelypets.com/furminator.html). It comes in 3 different sizes but I decided to buy the smallest one. I also saw it on e-bay but I didn't want to have to bid on it.

I used it tonight and I got a lot of fur off of all of my furkids. I think it works much better than the shedding blade. Here's a picture of Storm next to his pile of fur which it I got off of him in about 10 minutes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/krazyaboutkatz/31499e17.jpg

Here's a close up of the furminator.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/krazyaboutkatz/743bb43b.jpg

All of the cats thought that it felt good while I used it but Sky, Pearl, and Starr won't sit still for very long.:)

Jessika
03-27-2006, 01:34 AM
I've heard those aren't good because they can rip out the hair, but correct me if I'm wrong :o

That's amazing, though. I would get one but they are pretty expensive, and I'm happy with their shedding rake hehe

Felix
03-27-2006, 10:14 AM
It looks like it done an amazing job,wonder how well it works on short hair.

Don Juan's mom
03-27-2006, 10:17 AM
That looks like the pile of hair I took off of Don Juan when we had a sudden spring warm snap last year. You would have thought he'd go bald, but noooo.

:rolleyes:

Liz

Edwina's Secretary
03-27-2006, 10:54 AM
I bought a Furminator too. Edwina's fur is so thick (perhaps something to do with my refusal to turn on the heat????) I use both the Furminator and the shedding blade. They work in different ways but both work great!

Oh yes....Edwina hates both equally.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

krazyaboutkatz
03-27-2006, 11:17 AM
I've heard those aren't good because they can rip out the hair, but correct me if I'm wrong :o

The directions say not to use this on nonshedding breeds and to make sure that the animal doesn't have any skin conditions because this would irritate the skin. They also recommend that you use it after bathing your pet and you must only use it on dry fur. If they have mats then don't use it on these because it could pull and hurt your pet.

I didn't bathe my cats and it worked very well on both my long haired and short haired cats.:)

momoffuzzyfaces
03-27-2006, 11:48 AM
I have a Furminator too!
Grandma is the queen of shedders and it works great on her. Chester and Luke enjoy it too. I can almost make a new cat from all the hair it gets out.

Leonardo, I don't use it on because he has such long hair that mats. I just use a regular brush on him. :)

moosmom
03-27-2006, 12:23 PM
Mollie Rose is my all-time shedder. I wonder if it'd work on her??

catmandu
03-27-2006, 05:18 PM
I Will Have To See If Petcetera Has One,as Moose, Juke Joint Joseph And Several Other Cats Do Need Grooming All The Time.
Thank You For The Idea.

slick
06-17-2010, 06:12 PM
I need to bump up this thread.
I've have been reading about the Furminator for years both on the net in here. I struggled with the cost and kept using the comb for Max and Speckles.

Now that I have Merlin, my place looks like a fur factory. It's really bad so I sucked it up, stopped by my local store on the way home from work last night and laid down $45 for a furminator.

I drove home in buyer's remorse. What have I done? Oh heck, if I can spend $60 on a cat bed, I can certainly justify this amount.:rolleyes:

OMdoG - I cannot begin to express my love of this product. :love: 10 strokes produced enough hair to form into a baseball. Merlin wasn't too impressed as he doesn't like being brushed but honestly this thing is amazing.

If you don't have one - save up and buy one. I'll never do without one now.:)

Medusa
06-17-2010, 07:34 PM
I wish I had known you wanted one. I've got an extra one b/c it came w/a purchase. They certainly aren't that expensive here. I think I paid something like $14.95 for mine. Grooming Specs has become so much easier w/the Furminator. He sheds and you can see fur flying as he walks through a room. It's been a godsend for me.

columbine
06-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Smudge doesn't like it - he prefers a plain human-style comb. But Jezebel, for whom I sit sometimes, is double-coated AND overweight AND arthritic AND has dry skin and tons of dandruff, and she LOVES it when I Furminate her HARD behind the ears where she can't reach. She purrs and purrs and sheds and sheds!

She does get Cosequin, mixed into her food, but I couldn't get her to even try fish oil - not even squirted on Kitty Kaviar. She's a strange beastie...

Love, Columbine

dehlers43
06-17-2010, 08:23 PM
Franklin loooves to be furminated! Who wudda thunk a short-hair kitty could have so much fur?
Chelsea isn't so keen on the process but she hardly sheds so it doesn't really make any difference.
I get so much fluff it makes me want to try my hand at spinning yarn!

snakemama
06-17-2010, 09:01 PM
Bamboo's knock off - The FurBuster - works just as well for half the price. We opened up one of each for demo purposes at the store I used to work in and believe me, we sold WAY more FurBusters than name brand brushes. :)

I have one, and my only caution is not to go overboard...the first time I used it on Sherpa, I brushed out almost ALL of his undercoat. He sat and seemed to enjoy the whole thing, but afterward I realized that I could see his skin! Silly boy.

FurBuster (http://www.amazon.com/FurBuster-Cat-De-Shedding-Tool-822926/dp/B0012LJDEK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1276826480&sr=8-2)

krazyaboutkatz
06-17-2010, 11:59 PM
I still use mine and it works very well. I've noticed that many pet stores now sell it in their stores for a lot less than I paid for it online. I could brush Storm all day and still not get all of his dead undercoat off. My other cats are too wiggly to stand still for very long but I still manage to get a lot of fur off of them. Good luck with Merlin.:)

catmandu
06-18-2010, 02:57 PM
Our Friend Pat aka Phesina :love::love:sent us works very well indeed and is starting to be of great benefit in the warm weather:love::love:.
Thank You from We Found Cats Aunt Pat.:):)
Your Little Cat In Law:cool::cool:, The Sensational Scrappy Two:love::love:

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-21-2010, 03:32 AM
I bought one last week!
After combing all 4 cats, I had a huge pile of hair, enough to fill a big pillowcase!!!
Maya loves it!! She purrs like crazy then! Zazou "tolerates" to be furminated;), but doesn't want me to do her tummy...! Inka & Snoopy both hate it and struggle like a devil to get away : Rolleyes: .........

It is a wonderful thing, much better than all combs I had before!!

wanwan1007
06-22-2010, 07:26 AM
I've seen the advertisement for the furminator for dogs, is it the same piece of equipment for both animals?

@snakesmama - when you tested the knock off did you use it on dogs as well?

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-25-2010, 08:07 AM
I've seen the advertisement for the furminator for dogs, is it the same piece of equipment for both animals??

The ones for cats are smaller, but it is the same thing!!

This is the one I bought
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/berlut/001-2.jpg