PDA

View Full Version : new addition- help and pics

dab_20
03-26-2006, 09:29 PM
There was an auction this weekend and I missed all the horses because I was at school. Well after school my dad and I went to look at all the horses that were already sold- I was dissapointed that my dad didn't buy one. Well I came across this gorgous paint filly. I told my dad how she is soo pretty and my dad goes "Happy Birthday". He got me her!!! I was sooooo excited I swear I was about to burst. I wanted a horse ever since I was 5 years old, and now I finally got one! Each of her eyes are blue and brown. I am not sure if she is a pony or horse... if you know then please tell me. btw she's 2 years old.

This is what I need help on. She is EXTREMLY scared of everything. She won't approach you and she bucks at everything. Well once you finally get her on a lead rope, she is a little more calm and everything. Today I put her on a rope that was tied to a post so I could groom her. She spooked and started bucking and went in circles around me and tied the rope around my stomach. I have never been so frightened in my entire life. My dad helped me out and she kept bucking and the rope was tied around her legs. She finally calmed down and my dad unhooked her so she was free. I can't get close enough to check for injuries, although she seems just fine. How do I get her to trust people?!? This is what auctions do to horses, it's so sad. Anyways, advice would be appreciated... we are taking things slow right now. I know she just needs to get used to all the animals and Jack and such.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a22/dab_20/100_0008.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a22/dab_20/100_0007.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a22/dab_20/100_0005.jpg
Her half blue eye....
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a22/dab_20/100_0004.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a22/dab_20/100_0003.jpg

Flatcoatluver
03-26-2006, 09:34 PM
Awww she is so pretty!!! I can't help though, just wanted to tell you she is pretty

dab_20
03-26-2006, 09:40 PM
Awww she is so pretty!!! I can't help though, just wanted to tell you she is pretty

Thanks. :) She is gorgous. I wish I could acctually get close enough to touch her when I want though. It all takes patience I guess.

king2005
03-26-2006, 10:37 PM
I'm not a horse pro, but I think it has to be 12-14 hands high to be a horse & well she is nowhere near that big, so shes a pony :)

Chances are she was abused or neglected in her 2 yrs. So in her eyes humans = pain.. Instead of petting her, why not just walk her on a long lead, so she can be away from you, but slowly get to know you. I wouldn't talk to her yet, as your voice might make her think your going to yell & then hit her. Once shes comfy with you walking her at the end of her lead, make the lead a foot shorter & so on.

Mu old friend bought an abused horse & it took us a month to be able to get on him. & then a nother few months to get him to stop bucking & running wild in fear.. We always had a lead on him & 1 person would hold it tight & the other would work with him.

I think you might want to become her friend before brushing her, as getting a kick or 2 is quite painful & ugly!

chrissycat21
03-27-2006, 08:19 AM
She is beautiful!

A pony is anything 14.2 hh and under.

Next time you groom her, do not tie her up! Hold her lead rope with one hand and groom with the other. When a horse is tied up and is frightened, they can't get away and they start to panic even more. She could injure herself or you while trying to get away.

Is she kept in a pasture or a stall? What are you planning on doing with her in the future? Is she going to be trained for you to ride or just more of a pet?

She does sound like she wasn't treated right at her old home. Just give her lots of love and carrots! ;) Make sure that you are out there with her not just when its time to groom, etc. Go out and just sit with her, but let her come to you. Get her used to seeing you around and let her always make the first move. The one thing you don't want to do is start to build up trust and than try to rush things and all that trust is gone.

Once she trusts you, you can start to get her used to objects that she was afraid of. Let her come and sniff and touch the object with her nose. I would do that in her pasture so that she can come and see whatever it is when she wants to. If you are going to ride her someday, let her see and touch the saddle, bridle, saddle pad, etc. so she becomes familiar with it.

jackie
03-27-2006, 08:57 AM
What a beauty! I am jealous!!!!

dab_20
03-27-2006, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the replies. When she is on a lead rope, it's weird because she tries to get as close to you as she can. So much that she almost pushes you over. And when she's off the lead rope she gets as far away as she can. (unless you have food ;) ) She stays in a stall with Jack. (my donkey) And all the other animals can go in the stall. We just gated off half the barn for them. She might become a riding pony, only for me because my dad is too big. But only if she really trusts us, maybe in a year or two.

I only go see her twice a month during the school year because I don't live with my dad. He will spend as much time with her as he can. My dad holds the lead rope and brushes her just so she'll get used to it. We only do her body now, because it will probably scare her if we do her legs or face. She was able to sniff the brush and was pretty ok with it. Thanks again for the advice.

ps Any name suggestions?? I was thinking about Diamond because she's got a diamond on her forhead. But I'm not sure if I like it because it is so common.

king2005
03-27-2006, 10:41 AM
She looks like a Rose to me
or
Poka-Butt hehehe, I called my friends horse Poka-Butt hehehe

lvpets2002
03-27-2006, 10:44 AM
;) Aweee the new baby is adorable && **** CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW BABY && HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAY ***

chrissycat21
03-27-2006, 10:57 AM
It stinks that you'll only get to see her twice a year. Will you see her more during the summer because summer isn't too far away!

I got so caught up in trying to help you, I forgot to congratulate you on getting her and wish you a happy birthday. :o

I'm horrible with names...I'll have to think of some suggestions. Diamond is a cute name. If you really like it I wouldn't worry too much about how common it is.

http://www.horses-and-horse-information.com/horsenames/i.shtml

That website has a bunch of horse names that you could look through. Some of them seem more like show names, but you could always shorten the name.

dab_20
03-27-2006, 11:44 AM
It stinks that you'll only get to see her twice a year. Will you see her more during the summer because summer isn't too far away!

I got so caught up in trying to help you, I forgot to congratulate you on getting her and wish you a happy birthday. :o

I'm horrible with names...I'll have to think of some suggestions. Diamond is a cute name. If you really like it I wouldn't worry too much about how common it is.

http://www.horses-and-horse-information.com/horsenames/i.shtml

That website has a bunch of horse names that you could look through. Some of them seem more like show names, but you could always shorten the name.

Thanks. I see her twice a month, not year. lol, yes in the summer I am with my dad much more often, probably about 3 times a week. Thanks for that website, I will have to look through it.

I like the name Rose, that's cute. Thanks so much everyone!

EDIT- I was looking at names and I like 'Painted Beauty'. What do you guys think about that name?

buttercup132
03-27-2006, 02:28 PM
I really like the name Rose!!It suits her so well! I think I would have fainted if my parents got me a pony for my birthday! Just keep at her and give her treats when she is good she will soon associate you with food and food = good lol. Grooming her is a great way to get her used to you. You said she'll come to you when you have food , well then bring food every time you go to get her.

She is a pony because Trigger is just 13 something and hes pritty tall, she is smaller then you wich means shes smaller then Trigger . Ponies are VERY stubborn though so she'll need alot of working. Trigger is 6 and hes been ridden since he was 3 and he STILL bucks! He's so naughty.:p

animal_rescue
03-27-2006, 03:07 PM
Do not let her push you! That's a very bad habit, if she pushes you push her back, but don't hurt her since most likely she was abused. She reminds me of my old Hackney Pony, Rodeo, sounds just like him. I talked to his owners now and they said he's doing good. He just needed someone that knew how to teach him they were the boss and what not.

dab_20
03-27-2006, 03:32 PM
Yeah, my dad told me to push back, and I do. She also starts walking too fast when on a lead rope. My dad told me if she does walk too fast a turn her in a tight circle and start walking again. He says she'll soon get the point that if she walks too fast or trots then she will get nowhere.

I was wondering what kind of pony she is. I am thinking American Shetland pony, because they look like little horses, not as much pony like... which my pony is. But I need to know how many hands high she is, anyone have a clue from those pics? I am 5' 3" btw.

chrissycat21
03-27-2006, 05:36 PM
Whoops..Twice a month is much better than twice a year! Sorry, I was reading kind of quickly. :o

I like the name Painted Beauty! :)

*iluvskipper*
03-27-2006, 05:39 PM
omg you lucky duck!!! lol i think its a pony!

Vela
03-27-2006, 05:40 PM
You can measure how tall she is. A hand equals 4 inches, so measure from the ground to her withers and that will tell you how many hands tall she is. She looks to be a Shetland and probably won't grow much taller than she is now. Maybe an inch or two but not much. Have fun with her, she's sure cute. Maybe you can train her to pull a small cart for you!

dab_20
03-27-2006, 07:26 PM
You can measure how tall she is. A hand equals 4 inches, so measure from the ground to her withers and that will tell you how many hands tall she is. She looks to be a Shetland and probably won't grow much taller than she is now. Maybe an inch or two but not much. Have fun with her, she's sure cute. Maybe you can train her to pull a small cart for you!

I will measure her when she lets me get close enough. Yeah, she definatly isn't a regular Shetland, but maybe the american type. That'd be really cool if she could pull one of those cart you sit in!

Regular Shetland:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a22/dab_20/shetland.jpg
American Shetland:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a22/dab_20/americanshetland.jpg

buttercup132
03-27-2006, 07:44 PM
Thats what Shetlands were used for perfect small cart pulling ponies because they are so tough. But I can gaurentee she is a pony. Trigger dosent look at all like a pony but he is(well actually technically hes not hes 1 hand over :rolleyes: ). I really see American Shetland looks like identical to the one in my book just she isnt as fat wich she should be a little fat if she is Shetland.Anways I have to tell you again YOU SO LUCKY!
You have every little girls birthday wish come true!!
I cant wait for my parents to be like one day we bought you a puppy or a pony!
But I doubt that will EVER happen.

dab_20
03-27-2006, 08:05 PM
Thats what Shetlands were used for perfect small cart pulling ponies because they are so tough. But I can gaurentee she is a pony. Trigger dosent look at all like a pony but he is(well actually technically hes not hes 1 hand over :rolleyes: ). I really see American Shetland looks like identical to the one in my book just she isnt as fat wich she should be a little fat if she is Shetland.Anways I have to tell you again YOU SO LUCKY!
You have every little girls birthday wish come true!!
I cant wait for my parents to be like one day we bought you a puppy or a pony!
But I doubt that will EVER happen.

Well American Shetlands aren't supposed to be tubby.... that is what I'm guessing she is. They are much more long legged and refined then the lil Shetlands. American Shetland Ponies are great show horses and they are good with pulling the carts with people in them. They are a fairly new breed in the US, too. (compare the pics I have above to see the difference)

Well, some horses are around thirteen hands high... they are just small horses. And some ponies can be 15 hh. There really is no exact height, I think it's usually the build that is different. Of course, a horse coulden't be like 11hh.

We have been planning to get a horse for a year now, and my dad just decided to get one around my bday. I was so excited I was in tears! lol I've wanted one since I was 5 years old. You should post some pics of Trigger!

jesse_3
03-27-2006, 10:08 PM
She is absolutely breathtaking!!!!!!!! Talk about a birthday present:D Wow, I am extremely jealous! I can't have a horse!
Congrats on you beautiful, wonderful, shy, adorable, etc...little girl:D

I love the name Painted Beauty! some other suggestions I can think of are Shyann, Rain (from Spirit..), and Minnesota (in a Native American tribe, it means Land of the sky painted waters, if yah didn't know)

Good luck with the name! - and I am SO happy for you! (((((:DHUGS:D)))))
Stephanie, Jesse, Splinter, and Xambi

dab_20
03-28-2006, 07:47 AM
She is absolutely breathtaking!!!!!!!! Talk about a birthday present:D Wow, I am extremely jealous! I can't have a horse!
Congrats on you beautiful, wonderful, shy, adorable, etc...little girl:D

I love the name Painted Beauty! some other suggestions I can think of are Shyann, Rain (from Spirit..), and Minnesota (in a Native American tribe, it means Land of the sky painted waters, if yah didn't know)

Good luck with the name! - and I am SO happy for you! (((((:DHUGS:D)))))
Stephanie, Jesse, Splinter, and Xambi

Thanks Steph! That's so cool, I didn't know thats what Minnesota meant! It really does fit her. I'll have to think about it. THanks again everyone! :)

dab_20
03-28-2006, 05:05 PM
I have decided to name her Painted Dreamer. I thought of the name Dreamer from the movie and added the Painted part in front of it. It really suits her! :)

lute
03-28-2006, 05:26 PM
OMG! i didn't know it was your birthday! happy birthday! what a great gift! :D she's adorable! i hope you can help make her more confident.

dab_20
03-28-2006, 07:16 PM
OMG! i didn't know it was your birthday! happy birthday! what a great gift! :D she's adorable! i hope you can help make her more confident.

Thanks. Yep it was my bday ont he 20th. I hope she does calm down a bit and be more confident about things. Thanks again. :)

chrissycat21
03-28-2006, 07:31 PM
Painted Dreamer is a great name! I really, really like it! :)

More pictures is a must once she is more settled in and comfortable. Be sure to keep us updated with her progress. :D

buttercup132
03-28-2006, 07:47 PM
Winter Trigger

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/rockee12331/Picture038.jpg

Summer Trigger

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/rockee12331/Picture356.jpg

luvofallhorses
03-28-2006, 07:56 PM
she's beautiful! :) I like Painted Dreamer. :D Congrats and happy birthday! :)

dab_20
03-28-2006, 09:08 PM
Winter Trigger

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/rockee12331/Picture038.jpg

Summer Trigger

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/rockee12331/Picture356.jpg

Aww he's gorgous!!

Chrissycat... I will keep you all updated. :) luvofallhorses, thanks!

dab_20
03-29-2006, 07:04 PM
I called my dad today to see how Dreamer was doing. He said she is no better, even a little worse then this last weekend. :( She just plain won't trust people. We are looking for a trainer that might help us a little. How do I go about finding one? There were none in the classifieds.

king2005
03-30-2006, 09:30 AM
It'll take more then a week or 2 to get her use to u guys. Give her a month or 2 before you get a trainer working on her, as that might over stress her as shes still getting use to her new home.

Thats my opinion anyways.

dab_20
03-30-2006, 09:36 AM
It'll take more then a week or 2 to get her use to u guys. Give her a month or 2 before you get a trainer working on her, as that might over stress her as shes still getting use to her new home.

Thats my opinion anyways.

I agree. We will only talk to the trainer to just have some tips and then have him/her work on Dreamer after a couple months.

king2005
03-30-2006, 09:46 AM
excellent news :)

I'm sure in about a year, maybe less, she'll be the best pony on earth :)

dab_20
03-30-2006, 10:21 AM
excellent news :)

I'm sure in about a year, maybe less, she'll be the best pony on earth :)

Thanks. I hope so! :D

king2005
03-30-2006, 10:47 AM
She doesn't seem NEARLY as bad as my ex-friends first horse. Those people really beat the poor thing, starved him, kept him in a small stall ALL the time. He was a horrid mess. Luckly bucking wasn't his thing, but running wildly was, so he was ALWAYS on a lead & since I was more then strong enough to over power his head, I was always at the lead, while my friend did things to him, groomed, fed, patted, cleaned & put things on his back.

The first time we took him off the lead he did well (months later), we had a sign on the corell doors stating to STAY AWAY, working on the easly spooked horse. Well the hands man didn't care, opened the door & yelled !! OMG not only did he scare the horse, but scared us too.. the horse went nuts & was trying to run super fast in the tiny corell. I had to chase him down & try to corner him, cause my friend was crying & holding on for dear life. It seemed like forever, but I caught him (we kept the tie on him & my friend was holding it) & got him into a corner to calm him down (he liked corners). My friend got off, ran off & I had to deal with the horse for a while & well I knew crap about them, so it was fun.. The hands man got in magor crap, for that stunt!! Everyone at the barn knew about the horse we were working on & obayed the signs.. argg..

But ya, he turned into a great horse for a couple years.. Saddly he started to go wild again & he had to be sold, as he nearly stampled a young student. Then she got a new horse. He was good from the begining & we just had to teach him to walk with the saddle on (funny stuff), then he went wild & was sold.. With her 3rd horse we finally discovered why the horses went wild & why other peoples horses were going wild. The hands man was caught a couple times beating & kicking the hell out of the horses!!!

She had to give up the 3rd horse too. As he went wild & was no longer a safe animal at the barn (they had rules & when a horse tries to trample someone like that, they cannot stay there. its been 6yrs & I still don't think she ever got a 4th horse. She felt horrible about he first 3 & couldn't bare a 4th horse.

dab_20
03-30-2006, 03:49 PM
That's so sad! Didn't that guy get a fine or go to jail?? That's defiantly illegal to that to an animal. :( :(

Suki Wingy
04-02-2006, 03:49 PM
CONGRATS! That has to be the BEST b-day present ever! Try this site to look for a pony. http://www.stablesdirectory.org/ocrsd.html
the only advice I can offer is that with every animal I have ever loured close to me I sit with food and wait. They come closer and eventually get curious. One day you can do it without food.

dab_20
04-02-2006, 03:52 PM
CONGRATS! That has to be the BEST b-day present ever! Try this site to look for a pony. http://www.stablesdirectory.org/ocrsd.html
the only advice I can offer is that with every animal I have ever loured close to me I sit with food and wait. They come closer and eventually get curious. One day you can do it without food.

Yep it is! Thanks for the site. My dad tells me she will get close with food but he can't grab her halter or else she freaks out. So now she has to stay in the barn all day long until we finish the fencing. :(

BC_MoM
04-02-2006, 04:00 PM
She looks like a Shetland Pony to me.. and a cute one at that!! You're soo lucky!!

jesse_3
04-02-2006, 04:18 PM
I love that name for her...Painted Dreamer...

I really will be praying that she finds the courage to trust you. That is all I can do.

Steph, Splinter and Xambi

dab_20
04-02-2006, 04:35 PM
Thanks. :)