PDA

View Full Version : Part-time, Full-time, or No time?

Pam
03-26-2006, 07:46 AM
I know many PTers work full time and log onto their favorite site at work. :) Unfortunately at my office we are not allowed to use the internet except for work-related things. :rolleyes: Anyway, it got me to thinking about how many of us can come here whenever we want, and from there I wondered whether most of us work full-time or part-time or not at all. Soooo, I made a little poll. See where you fit in. :)

catnapper
03-26-2006, 07:47 AM
I work part tiem at night, and then part time from home in my own business.

Pam
03-26-2006, 07:49 AM
ACK!!! I made a poll and clicked too soon so it didn't work. :o :o

I work part-time but since mid-November I have been filling in full-time since we are down one girl at work.

Those who are retired, full time students, or just lucky enough to not work at all may reply. :) Those were going to be my extra choices in the poll. :o :rolleyes:

smokey the elder
03-26-2006, 08:18 AM
I work full time, sometimes weird shifts. Technically I'm not supposed to be online for "non-business" purposes, but as long as it doesn't interfere with my "real" work and use my head (no downloads, etc.) the powers that be don't really enforce it.

gemini9961
03-26-2006, 08:23 AM
I work full-time, 12 hour days, 3 days one week and 4 the next week. I am always on PT at work. They never say anything as long as I get my work done and don't let it interfere. We also have a TV we can watch, used to have cable but when we moved the cable went bye-bye and has not come back yet. :( I check PT at home about 1-2 times a day. At work I check it all the time because my job can be a little slow at times.

Yep..PT junkie. :p :rolleyes:

Ginger's Mom
03-26-2006, 09:08 AM
I work full-time, and also am not supposed to use the internet for non-business purposes, but like smokey the elder if I don't download things or let is interfere with my work, they don't really enforce it. At least it keeps me at my desk, so if someone needs to find me, they know were I am. :D

moosmom
03-26-2006, 09:32 AM
I'm currently working part-time and looking for full-time work. I check PT a few times a day. And yes, it certainly is addicting!!

sirrahbed
03-26-2006, 09:41 AM
I work fulltime here at home (am a Domestic Engineer) so I keep PT on all of the time and check it as I have time.

Funny, I was thinking that if businesses really monitored the use of Internet at work, thy would see all of these multiple logs listing access to "PT" and wonder what their employees were up to ;)

Freckles
03-26-2006, 09:44 AM
I retired exactly eight years ago. Fortunately at that time, internet was not available to our department. The company had an internal email and management programs which I used extensively. Most computer skills I learned there. I enjoyed working at the time but doubly enjoy my life now. I've helped at least six neighbors and three relatives with computer and internet difficulties. Not much just sitting around time! :)

lizbud
03-26-2006, 09:52 AM
I am retired. Last year was my first year of my retirement. It was
great at first, but I'm getting pretty bored. I'm now looking around
for a part-time job maybe 2-3 days a week.

Laura's Babies
03-26-2006, 09:58 AM
Reckon my job quailfies as a full time job, although I only work 180 a year.. It is called full time there. No internet there and as much as I miss it, I am afraid if we had it out there, I would burn to much food or do a lot less cooking.

ChrisH
03-26-2006, 10:39 AM
I'm retired, have been since I was 45 ... and I love it!! :D

RobiLee
03-26-2006, 10:51 AM
No time here;). I lost my job this past October and I am fortunate enough that I didn't have to run out and try to find another. Recently I've decided that I would like to give Medical Transcription a try and maybe I can work from home. It took me forever to get up the nerve to check into it, because I never went any further than high school and didn't do so well with that..lol. I finally called and it was recommended that I take Medical Terminology first since I didn't have any medical background. I actually surprised myself, got brave and signed up for the class. I am now going into my 3rd week and I'm enjoying the class and people but just like I thought, book learning is very hard for me. I have to study like crazy to remember this stuff. I'm freaked out right now because I have two huge chapters to learn and do all the learning activities that go along with it and be prepared for a test on Thursday. I shouldn't even be on here right now..lol..but I've been studying and feel like my brain is mush right now..lol. If it wasn't for Alden helping me study and making up flashcards for me I don't think I would make it at all. Geesh, I have such respect for the people who go to college. I just don't know how people take on a full college schedule and work part time jobs and make it through. You guys are good! Ok, I'm sorry I carried on a bit. I guess I felt like talking about it.

So, my answer is "No Time".

Muddy4paws
03-26-2006, 10:51 AM
I work full time, 9 til 5 and I love my job :P Dog groomer

Miss Z
03-26-2006, 11:04 AM
No time, unless you count school, which I'm out from 7:30am to 4:30pm. Netball away matches on Saturdays mean I'm out from 7:30am to 1pm. But other than that, I have the chance to come on PT:)

jazzcat
03-26-2006, 11:36 AM
I'm not employeed but I do take care of my father who lives about 35 miles away. I have someone hired to help me with him or I would be busy with him 24/7. As it is he can still live alone at home but I'm afraid it won't last much longer.

Uabassoon
03-26-2006, 11:39 AM
I work full time and have no internet access at work. My schedual really varies, so sometimes I work super early in the morning, sometimes normal hours and my least favorite the evening shift.

shais_mom
03-26-2006, 12:01 PM
I work full time and we aren't supposed to be on inet unless it's work related. Some people follow it some don't -- I have snuck on a couple times but nothing like some people. :rolleyes:
I usually check computer in the morning and then when I get home.

beeniesmom
03-26-2006, 12:13 PM
I work full time, 9 to 5 and I can surf the net and be on PT after my work is done or at lunch. I try not to stay on PT too long because I also like the fact the dogs are with me and I can play with them when the day is slow at work. :)

jenluckenbach
03-26-2006, 12:38 PM
I am not quite full time. 25 to 35 hours most weeks. it varies. I could get full time hours but I think it would kill me. :rolleyes:

no internet (no computers) at work so I am completely OFF PT all that time. :eek:

joycenalex
03-26-2006, 12:43 PM
full time, and if overtime is offered, i grab it. while i can get the internet at work, i never look at anything beyond the professional websites or msnbc. there are rules against internet usage, so i'm not gonna push it, cause i'd rather read PT then work somedays! :D

chocolatepuppy
03-26-2006, 01:10 PM
I work full time and the only computers I work with are hooked up to the machinery. ;) I'm afraid if I could be on PT at work I would lose my job. :D

Edwina's Secretary
03-26-2006, 01:40 PM
Where do I check....it depends....??? I am self-employed. Some weeks I work part-time, some weeks full-time, and some weeks no-time. My desire is about 75% but I am at the whim of my clients.

king2005
03-26-2006, 01:49 PM
Full time & spend all day onthe chat boards & msn.. I do ALL my work & I do a great job! I also have 2 jobs in 1. I work in 2 departments & am liked in both.

Cincy'sMom
03-26-2006, 02:00 PM
I work full time and I am on the computer almost all day, but have little time to check PT. I do try to get on once or twice during the work day to quickly browse through and see if there is any big news. Even thrn Im in and out in under 5 minutes, and rarely do I post from work.

Lizzie
03-26-2006, 02:02 PM
Full-time, 7am to 4pm, and a two-hour a day commute. I also used to do volunteer work for 6-12 hours a week but gave that up when so many of my older cats became ill. I do keep PT on as one of my web tabs and dip in occasionally during the day depending on how busy I am. I work for the state so we get what is termed "de minimus" computer use for personal matters during breaks. The people they are likely to go after are those who use it to run a business, so a little PT I don't think they mind.

G535
03-26-2006, 04:49 PM
Mostly retired but still build a few computers for friends and neighbors, fix any hardware problems, some programming but never any virus removal or anything related to Windows.
I check in here at any time of the day.

Shelteez2
03-26-2006, 08:45 PM
I work full time as a dog groomer. No computers at work though so PT has to wait until after.

prechrswife
03-26-2006, 09:11 PM
I did not return to work this school year because we originally thought we would be going to China before the end of the school year. However, things changed, so I'm at home with lots of free time. I do most of the day-to-day work on our website business, but it is still in its early stages, so it doesn't take up a huge amount of time.

binka_nugget
03-26-2006, 09:52 PM
I work two jobs. My new job is full time. My first job is part time. If I'm lucky, some days I work 6 hours. But I work 15 hours most days. I rarely have time for PT anymore. :(

Flatcoatluver
03-26-2006, 09:57 PM
I work part-time and it seems like I am at school full-time!!! ;)

petslover
03-27-2006, 07:55 AM
I go to college full time & I work part time.

Although during the summer my job will turn into a full time job.

K9soul
03-27-2006, 08:20 AM
I work "full-time" from home (med transcription). I can flip to PT and glance at it whenever I like, but I have to type so much for work (especially when we are behind) that I can't actually post much. Plus I tend to put a lot of thought (and words! :p) into my posts so it would really interfere with my work if I posted as much as I'd like to.

cyber-sibes
03-27-2006, 08:30 AM
I've been a grad student and work 2 jobs, one part-time at the mall (my fun job) and I work from home as an illustrator (my other fun job, sure wish it was full time!), so I'm one of the lucky ones who can pretty much check in whenever I want to. I'm finally graduating and my husband keeps telling me it's time to get a full time job, so I don't know how much longer I'll have this bon-vivant lifestyle. I guess it would be good to get "a real job" so I have something to retire from in a few years. :rolleyes:

Cataholic
03-27-2006, 08:31 AM
I am a full time mommy, with limited access to the internet. :D
I also work full time, with full access to the internet! :eek:

krazyaboutkatz
03-27-2006, 11:40 AM
I work full time and don't have computer access at work so all of my Pet Talk time is done when I'm at home and have some free time.:)

mruffruff
03-28-2006, 11:55 AM
I work full time and have unlimited access to the internet. As long as my work gets done, no one complains. I can't download any programs, so I can't view videos. I usually have PT on all day, flipping to it whenever I can. Of course, I have my back to the wall, so I can see who's coming and I can minimize if it's the big boss!

At home, I'm too busy to turn on my laptop most days.

JenBKR
03-28-2006, 12:14 PM
I work full time, 8:30 to 5 monday-friday. I am pretty much free to play on the web whenever I want as long as my work gets done. When we get really busy though, I'm not on here nearly as much. I also do volunteer work about 10 or so hours a week. My plan is to either work part time or no time when hubby and I start having kids, but who knows whether that will actually happen or not ;)

BitsyNaceyDog
03-28-2006, 12:35 PM
I'm not working anymore. I was working full time as a kennel manager. That was too much trying to take care of the house and work that job, it was a very demanding job. I went down to part time after training someone else to help with management responsibilities. I'm not working at all now. Justin and I are moving an hour and a half away at the end of the month, so no more work for me.

chrangharris
03-29-2006, 08:04 PM
I'm CEO and chief finiacial officer of a very small business- my home :D I do work a few small jobs outside of the home as a private tutor/sub. I have access to the internet as long as the munchkin lets me- her favorite is to come on here and look at all of the animals- so I get to look alot but respond little!