PDA

View Full Version : I Am Ashamed Of My Country

BC_MoM
03-25-2006, 05:51 PM
I am so ashamed and disgusted with my country right now... all because of the seal hunt.

I have nothing to say other than I am ashamed to be here at this moment.

I used to be so proud to be a Canadian, I had so much pride for my country.. but it's all gone down the drain since the seal hunt began.

Shame on you, Canada.

jackie
03-25-2006, 05:56 PM
Hmm... They have had the seal hunt for years and years. I have no problem with it, if they would only they would monitor it correctly.

I am still a very, very proud Canadian.

CagneyDog
03-25-2006, 06:15 PM
The seal hunt is absolutely disgusting, and it has been going on for MANY years and many people did not even know about it. It's about time people started to realize the stuff that goes on. There are many things that Canada has that are truly sickening. Like the AB bear hunt for example. [However, it was announced last week that it has been cancelled for three years]. It's not just Canada that has things like this going on. There are -many- great aspects of Canada, to say that you have lost all of your pride is a bit harsh, IMO

Tollers-n-Dobes
03-26-2006, 12:22 AM
Like Cagney_dog said, the seal hunt has been going on for years. IMO that's no reason not to have any pride in your country. All countries have their faults.

I know this thread isn't about the bear hunting but since it was mentioned I have to say, I thought they stopped hunting the bears a long time ago?? I heard somewhere that the actually hunting of the bears is illegal and has been for quite some time and that the problem bears are being chased off by a team of Karelian Bear Dogs? Not sure where I heard that, I could be wrong...

CagneyDog
03-26-2006, 12:36 AM
I know this thread isn't about the bear hunting but since it was mentioned I have to say, I thought they stopped hunting the bears a long time ago?? I heard somewhere that the actually hunting of the bears is illegal and has been for quite some time and that the problem bears are being chased off by a team of Karelian Bear Dogs? Not sure where I heard that, I could be wrong...

Although I am not certain, I do believe that there was an annual Grizzly bear hunt for many years in Alberta. Finally, after many protests and information collected the Government has decided to hold off on the bear hunt for three years. If I am correct, this decision was made just over a week ago. THere were regulations with the bear hunt, however, it was unnecesary and done purely for the sport. The Government was being completely ignorant about it too. They haven't implemented any of their 15 year old Grizzly bear management plan. It was suggested by their own team of biologists that the Grizzly bear be listed as a threatened speices but they turned a blind eye to this reccomendation.:rolleyes:

moosmom
03-26-2006, 09:40 AM
Jackie,

:eek: :eek:
They have had the seal hunt for years and years. I have no problem with it, if they would only they would monitor it correctly.

You have NO problem with people beating down on poor innocent animals via a club with a hook on the end for their fur, skinning them alive while their poor distraught mother watches???? Well I do!! There IS no correct monitoring of killing an animal. It's barbaric and disgusting, plain and simple. How do you monitor such a thing?? Have someone watch while it's done to see that it's done properly??? Oh PUHLEEZE!!!!

lizbud
03-26-2006, 10:03 AM
Jackie,

:eek: :eek:

You have NO problem with people beating down on poor innocent animals via a club with a hook on the end for their fur, skinning them alive while their poor distraught mother watches???? Well I do!! There IS no correct monitoring of killing an animal. It's barbaric and disgusting, plain and simple. How do you monitor such a thing?? Have someone watch while it's done to see that it's done properly??? Oh PUHLEEZE!!!!

Exactly. :(

jackie
03-26-2006, 10:56 AM
I do not think the seal hunt is a great idea, but I view it the same as deer hunting. And yes, if it was monitored correctly it would be fine for me, unfortunately it is not.

My remark was more of a knee jerk reaction to ¨I am ashamed to be here at this moment.¨ If you are soooo ashamed to be Canadian, I am sure there are many other places you could go, have fun.

You have NO problem with people beating down on poor innocent animals via a club with a hook on the end for their fur, skinning them alive while their poor distraught mother watches????
If it was more closely supervised, that wouldn´t be happening.

CagneyDog
03-26-2006, 11:25 AM
My remark was more of a knee jerk reaction to ¨I am ashamed to be here at this moment.¨ If you are soooo ashamed to be Canadian, I am sure there are many other places you could go, have fun.

Exactly, Go spend a day in Iraq, I bet you'll have a different view after..

All hunting is completely feral and disgusting. I do think it is dissapointing that Canada supports this.

If it was more closely supervised, that wouldn´t be happening
I I disagree. First of all, I don't believe hunting should take place at all, but secondly I don't think there is a way to supervise every activity that takes place.

VTJess03
03-26-2006, 09:47 PM
Well, since this is the Dog House, here's a dissenting opinion on hunting in general :) I don't like seal hunting, for the record, since I have never heard that seals are a nuisance species, nor do the hunters usually use the meat, to my knowledge, and I think that is terribly wasteful. If you are going to kill an animal, you must be a good steward of that resource, and that involves taking more than a trophy or, in this case, the hide.

Firstly, hunting supervision is impractical; however, hunting regulation is necessary...here, the hunter's have to take a hunter safety course before they can buy a license (involves gun safety, tag/bag laws, non-trespassing, etc), and then they have to obey their limits on how many animals of each species they can take. This system not only provides funding to the enforcement agency (game wardens, etc), but also to fish hatcheries that stock sport fish (trout mostly, here).

I view hunting as necessary; we have overtaken the land on which these wild animals (deer and black bear here) should have been able to live. When we push them away, then we increase population density which increases disease pressure. Also, we have moved the animals then into a situation through which they can attack our food supply (deer devastate apple orchards, vineyards, gardens, etc.). In order to protect the vegetables and fruits, we have to dissuade the wildlife, and often the best way to do this is to shoot the wildlife, put it in the freezer and enjoy all the benefits of lean, healthy, all-natural meat.

In particular, black bears are becoming a nuisance species here, since for so long, people objected to hunting them. We have had deer go in the supermarket, bear go in the hospital (very humorous afterwards, but very dangerous during the intrusion). You only have to look at places like Yosemite National Park to realize the danger that nuisance bears put themselves and people in. There has to be something done about this; the animals need to fear humans, not view them as an easy source of food. The best way to do this, I believe, is to increase hunting pressure and remove the nuisance animals from the semi-wild.

If the animals were not so crowded in their natural habitat, they would not be coming out of it looking for food. It was a human-caused situation, so the humans have a responsibility to regulate the solution.

CagneyDog
03-26-2006, 10:11 PM
The human race caused so many problems with hunting and regulating what they have done now will just cause more.

Lori Jordan
04-06-2006, 12:17 PM
I am very discusted with the hunting going on and how it is done....A friend of mine was just recently on vacation in Australia while there she accidently hit a Koala,she called whomever the city i suppose and they came out and picked the animal off the road and threw it into the back of there truck,she says that hitting one is like hitting a raccoon here,and same as Kangaroo's there like the deer and im kinda mad at that statement there a living thing there beautiful animals they should have more respect.they say the Koala's arnt liked because i guess they carrie alot of a human know std Chlamydia?

JenBKR
04-06-2006, 12:36 PM
Well, since this is the Dog House, here's a dissenting opinion on hunting in general :) I don't like seal hunting, for the record, since I have never heard that seals are a nuisance species, nor do the hunters usually use the meat, to my knowledge, and I think that is terribly wasteful. If you are going to kill an animal, you must be a good steward of that resource, and that involves taking more than a trophy or, in this case, the hide.

Firstly, hunting supervision is impractical; however, hunting regulation is necessary...here, the hunter's have to take a hunter safety course before they can buy a license (involves gun safety, tag/bag laws, non-trespassing, etc), and then they have to obey their limits on how many animals of each species they can take. This system not only provides funding to the enforcement agency (game wardens, etc), but also to fish hatcheries that stock sport fish (trout mostly, here).

I view hunting as necessary; we have overtaken the land on which these wild animals (deer and black bear here) should have been able to live. When we push them away, then we increase population density which increases disease pressure. Also, we have moved the animals then into a situation through which they can attack our food supply (deer devastate apple orchards, vineyards, gardens, etc.). In order to protect the vegetables and fruits, we have to dissuade the wildlife, and often the best way to do this is to shoot the wildlife, put it in the freezer and enjoy all the benefits of lean, healthy, all-natural meat.

In particular, black bears are becoming a nuisance species here, since for so long, people objected to hunting them. We have had deer go in the supermarket, bear go in the hospital (very humorous afterwards, but very dangerous during the intrusion). You only have to look at places like Yosemite National Park to realize the danger that nuisance bears put themselves and people in. There has to be something done about this; the animals need to fear humans, not view them as an easy source of food. The best way to do this, I believe, is to increase hunting pressure and remove the nuisance animals from the semi-wild.

If the animals were not so crowded in their natural habitat, they would not be coming out of it looking for food. It was a human-caused situation, so the humans have a responsibility to regulate the solution.

I feel the exact same way - I don't agree with the seal hunt, but God put animals on the earth for us to eat. Besides, hunting is more humane than the way commercial animals are killed for the meat you get in the grocery store.

king2005
04-06-2006, 03:18 PM
Seal hunts have been going on in Canada, before europeans even came here. Nothing to hate the country about. Maybe being dissapointed is a better word.

carole
04-07-2006, 04:54 AM
If you feel ashamed about something your country continues to do despite so many other countries being against it, then you should speak up and say so, i too am ashamed of things my country does at times, but i am still proud of the good things my country does too and would be the first to say so either way.

Killing baby seals in this manner is cruel , horrific and barbaric and it is time in this day and age it was stopped, sure there are many more terrible things going on this world today, some much worse, however we cannot change everything all at once, but we can at least try,signing the petition is one way, although it seems not to be getting through.

I am unaware that cows and sheep are killed in the freezing works in a cruel manner, to my knowledge this is not the case here in NZ, if it is I will be the first to stand in line and do something about it.

I do not understand all the reasons for the cull myself, but i do know i will not support the method in which these poor babies are murdered. :(

moosmom
04-07-2006, 10:35 AM
I do not understand all the reasons for the cull myself, but i do know i will not support the method in which these poor babies are murdered.

I totally agree with you, Carole. A hunt with guns is one thing. But the way they kill and skin these precious creatures alive is totally INHUMANE and should be stopped!!! :mad:

jackie
04-07-2006, 11:54 AM
Killing baby seals in this manner is cruel , horrific and barbaric

¨The hunting of harp seal pups (whitecoats) and hooded seal pups (bluebacks) is illegal – and has been since 1987. Marine Mammal Regulations prohibit the trade, sale or barter of the fur of these pups. Furthermore, adult seals cannot be harvested when they are in breeding or birthing grounds and younger seals must be weaned, self-reliant and independent¨

Source. (http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/seal-phoque/myth_e.htm)

CagneyDog
04-07-2006, 02:50 PM
¨The hunting of harp seal pups (whitecoats) and hooded seal pups (bluebacks) is illegal – and has been since 1987. Marine Mammal Regulations prohibit the trade, sale or barter of the fur of these pups. Furthermore, adult seals cannot be harvested when they are in breeding or birthing grounds and younger seals must be weaned, self-reliant and independent¨

Source. (http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/seal-phoque/myth_e.htm)

What people are saying is that laws are not inforced and the hunt is not regulated enough.