PDA

View Full Version : This So Pis$es Me Off...

elizabethann
03-24-2006, 07:46 AM
:mad:
Protest Planned At Maine Soldier's Funeral
Police Hoping For Best, Planning For Worst

NORWAY, Maine -- A religious group known for its protests against gays and abortion is coming to Maine to protest a soldier's funeral next weekend.

Members of the Westboro Baptist Church, of Topeka, Kan., are planning to protest at Sgt. Corey Dan's funeral.

Dan, a member of the 101st Airborne Division from Norway, was killed in Iraq on March 13 when his Humvee was attacked with a roadside bomb and small arms fire.

The church members have been protesting service members' funerals across the county carrying signs that say "Thank God For Dead Soldiers." The church said soldiers are being struck down by God for defending a nation that tolerates homosexuality.

The church members' antics have led to legislative efforts in several states to keep the protesters away from grieving families.

Dan's funeral is being held this weekend at the high school he attended in South Paris.

Dan's half-brother, Ritchie, said he was stunned to learn of the church's plans when the family still is devastated by the soldier's death.

"How can you be so heartless and then call yourself a man of God, is one of my questions," Ritchie Dan said.

Dan said several veterans groups were planning to show their support at the funeral. He hoped the crowd would shield the family from any of the protesters.

"I'm looking at this as sacred ground, because it's not supposed to be about anything but Corey on that day," Dan said. "He gave all there was to give, and he deserves at least one day of peace."

Members of Oxford County's law enforcement said they are hoping for the best Saturday, but they're preparing for the worst.

Paris Police Chief David Verrier said his phone has been ringing off the hook since word got out that the church was headed to Maine.

“I’m telling them, ‘Don’t give Oxford Hills a black eye. We have a wonderful community. Don’t do something that’s going to bring a bad response from these people,’” he said.

Verrier has been soliciting advice from police departments that have already met up with the church group. And he is rounding up a small army of officers from several departments to be on hand Saturday.

In the meantime, Maine veterans -- such as Arthur Roy -- also plan on being at Dan’s service, to support the family.

Toy said, “When you lose a member at that age, and a church has the audacity to come and say, ‘God hates you’ and ‘God this-and-that,’ I’ll be there. I won’t be violent.”

A group known as the Patriot Guard also plans to be at the service. The motorcyclists, who attend soldiers’ funerals by invitation, carry flags and form a human shield between soldiers’ families and protesters.

A scholarship has been established in Dan's name. To contribute:

Sgt. Corey Dan Scholarship Fund
c/o Norway Savings Bank
261 Main St.
Norway, Maine 04268

moosmom
03-24-2006, 07:53 AM
Some people's stupidity never ceases to amaze me!!! :mad: This kid gave up his life to serve is country, for God's sake!!! Those protestors are just too damn stupid to live!! :mad:

RIP Corey. And thank you for bravery.

JenBKR
03-24-2006, 08:36 AM
Oh yes i heard about them on good morning america. I can't believe that they do something like that, and this is a church! It appalls me that they use God's name in all of this :mad:

Lobodeb
03-24-2006, 09:39 AM
This soldier died protecting the freedom for them to say these horrible things at his funeral.

Sick! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Karen
03-24-2006, 10:03 AM
This "church" is more a family of fanatics than a church. They do this all over the country, at any event they think can generate publicity for them, and it works.

It is a sad, sad day when any group claiming to be a church spreads hate and vitriol.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-24-2006, 10:17 AM
Because of these people, Illinois has made it a crime (maybe a felony? I can't remember...) for people to protest a funeral and/or a wake or showing. They have to remain so many feet/yards/whatevers from the mourners, so technically they can still protest, the law just made it so they have to be so far away that their rather insignificant, decreasing the protest's "effectiveness." Evidently Maine hasn't enacted a law like this yet, which is why they're going there. I know there are quite a few states that have already enacted these laws, and more states have laws pending.

What I don't get about the whole thing is......these people are protesting the US's stance on gays by protesting at funerals of people who died in the war against Iraq. What does one have to do with the other? :confused: I could see if they were protesting the war..... I think they discovered that they get a lot of press by protesting at funerals for war casualties and that's why they decided to continue with that tactic.

Sick is definitely a good word for them, although I do believe they have a right to their beliefs. My belief is that they need to get a life so they aren't so worried about other peoples' lives. :rolleyes:

Laura's Babies
03-24-2006, 10:40 AM
:rolleyes: And they call themselves a CHURCH? I don't know about the God they worship but the God I worship preaches LOVE and FORGIVENESS! Don't their bible have that "Judge not... verse or did they throw that one out?

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-24-2006, 10:48 AM
Don't their bible have that "Judge not... verse or did they throw that one out?

Laura, I think this is another example of people twisting the words of the bible to suit their own needs. Sure the "judge not" verse is in their bible, but their bible also says something to the effect that gays are living a life of sin.

You know....funny as it may seem....this thread is actually helping me to understand a little more the thread I started about the guy sentenced to death for converting to Christianity. People can twist words to make them say whatever they want to hear and I guess that practice isn't confined to Christians. ;)

Sophist
03-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Yeah, for sure, despite saying "Judge not lest ye be judged" and all that about seeing the mote in your brother's eye and not the beam in your own, etc, the bible also has plenty to say about calling the wicked to repentance, censuring sinners, and not abiding the unholy of unclean or worldly around you... it is all in what words people want to emphasize and twist to support whatever they choose to do.

Kfamr
03-24-2006, 01:44 PM
"The church said soldiers are being struck down by God for defending a nation that tolerates homosexuality."

Wait a moment.. so why the f*** are they still in the nation and supporting the economy of the nation that "tolerates" homosexuality?!?

Don't like it.. get the heck out! We don't need scum like them.

Oggyflute
03-24-2006, 08:04 PM
That would have to be one of the most disturbing and disgusting things I've ever heard. :(

moosmom
03-24-2006, 10:33 PM
My belief is that they need to get a life so they aren't so worried about other peoples' lives

PERFECT!!!!! I couldn't have said it better! Too many people with ALOT of time on their hands. UGH!!

If they're gonna be pissed at anyone, let it be Bush. He's the one who put us there to begin with!!! Go protest the White House!!! :mad: