PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a pet relocation service?

charlestongirl
03-23-2006, 09:47 PM
Probably an odd question and doesn't really fit anywhere. I would be surprised if very many of you could even answer this.

We are moving overseas and I refuse to leave my dogs behind. I know what shots they need; among other things; but it's transportation I'm needing, pick up, ticketing, the extra care, etc. So much to think about I could use an advisor.

Anyway I have been looking at some pet relocation services, as it's all a bit confusing and I don't want to risk a mistake that could mean quarantine or lots of money for my dogs.

So one service is about 3500 dollars, including ticket. I figure from what I hear without the service it may be close to 2000 dollars. Money is really tight but an extra 1000 to make sure my babies are safe won't make a huge difference so I'd do it. But still, that's an extra 1500 at least.

Another service wants 5600 dollars. Yikes! That's a bit much.

I did a search and there are a lot of services to comb through. Also any suggestions or ideas of a good service? I know I'll pay extra, I am just hoping it won't have to be more than 2 grand extra.

charlestongirl
03-23-2006, 10:08 PM
We are moving to the U.K. There is no longer a quarantine should you take care of matters here in the U.S. first. You can do the quarantine time at home. It's 6 months, and unfortunately we don't have that much time. I was told I could quarantine them for the remaining time and have them released when the 6 months is up, which means a quarantine time of only 2-3 weeks. We'll need them to be kenneled anyway while we look for our house.

It's a military move... no, the military will not help you ship your animals. We can't go on a special military flight with them. We're on our own here.

I considered relocation services for several reasons:

1. there seems to be a lot of paperwork involved; I'm afraid if I mess up one detail I'm screwed.

2. we can't fly with them; and they have to fly only out of certain airports/airlines. The military will not let us select specific times around our dogs departure, so I would worry that I couldn't get the 2 schedules to go well enough together, therefore I may need someone to transport them for us. We have no family/friends in the area that could do this. I would be asking them to drive up to 5 hours one way and I really can't rely on anyone to do this. If they back out last minute we'd be in big trouble.

3. I would need someone to pick them up on arrival in London. I don't know if the kennel will or not.

4. We travel in August; pet movers insure that the dogs are in temperature controlled holding areas, cargo areas, etc at all times.

5. One site says I have to use only British Airways in one specific airport; another site tells me I can use another airline in another airport; in other words, I've got so much conflicting information I'm going insane. A pet mover would help with so much of this. I've checked with Defra and all that, still so many questions and I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone!

Ugh I am really stressed. We are moving mid-August.

Corinna
03-23-2006, 11:34 PM
Ask the sirrah bunch they had Boomer the kitty transported from japan or china I don't remeber which. try sirrahbed shes the mom and it was her grandkitty.

pitc9
03-24-2006, 08:40 AM
You could try to PM doggiesarethebest, she would be able to answer all of your questions. She's moved from the US to Germany and back with her dog Drake.

sammy101
03-24-2006, 03:41 PM
We moved to Germany with my RB Dalmatian and RB cat Bear.We traveled with them though with Lufthansa. I've never used pet relocation services though.We never had a problem getting them in the country. We just needed their shot records,and they didnt even check the records :rolleyes:
Sorry i'm not much help.