PDA

View Full Version : ONE MORE DAY!! *sqeeaaaallll*

Roxyluvsme13
03-23-2006, 02:55 PM
Ok Saturday is the day! :D I'm soooo excited. Hehe. If you don't have any clue what I'm talking about...Then...Saturday is Betta Day. My very first betta. My cute little boy that I can't wait to go pick out!!! :D
Ahhhhhhhh!!!!! Sorry I'm just so excited and I can hardly wait :o.
Thanks for listening to my randomness :rolleyes:
ETA:Question:When you bring the betta home...I'll have to set up the tank first of course, but how do you put them in the tank? Like I read you have to float the bag and stuff?! It confused me...so could someone explain that? Honestly, I think I want to let the tank adjust a little bit before I put him in it.

lvpets2002
03-23-2006, 03:01 PM
:) **** CONGRATS & I WOULD BE EXCITED TOO == ANY NAMES YET? ***

Roxyluvsme13
03-23-2006, 03:11 PM
:) **** CONGRATS & I WOULD BE EXCITED TOO == ANY NAMES YET? ***
Really depends on personality, but I have a few in mind...
-Artemis--Totally love this name for a betta!
-Ludwig--After Beethoven :p
That's really it :o.
But we'll have to see! :D

chrissycat21
03-23-2006, 03:40 PM
Ok, make sure you buy a dechlorinater and add that to the water BEFORE you put the betta in. Also, for the next week you are going to want to do a 10 - 20% water change with dechlorinated water every day. After that, you will only need to do a water change every week. You should let the tank run for 24 hours before adding the betta, though. :)

Yes, float the bag in the water before adding the betta.

Good luck with finding a betta!

ETA: Have you found a tank yet?

lv4dogs
03-23-2006, 03:42 PM
I agree with the above, but before you even float your betta make sure the water is at a decent temp.

Husky_mom
03-23-2006, 03:48 PM
congrats on the betta Bri!!! i realy hope you find THE one meant for you to pick........i ended with 5 :p LOL

loved the pic you posted first where did you find him anyway?

i still havent named a couple of mine, but i´d like to see pics of your guy and i´ll try to help you out with a name...... ;) .........

Roxyluvsme13
03-23-2006, 04:00 PM
Ok, make sure you buy a dechlorinater and add that to the water BEFORE you put the betta in. Also, for the next week you are going to want to do a 10 - 20% water change with dechlorinated water every day. After that, you will only need to do a water change every week. You should let the tank run for 24 hours before adding the betta, though. :)

Yes, float the bag in the water before adding the betta.

Good luck with finding a betta!

ETA: Have you found a tank yet?
No...we're going to buy the tank with the betta...and my mom wants to use spring water...so...?

Roxyluvsme13
03-23-2006, 04:04 PM
congrats on the betta Bri!!! i realy hope you find THE one meant for you to pick........i ended with 5 :p LOL

loved the pic you posted first where did you find him anyway?

i still havent named a couple of mine, but i´d like to see pics of your guy and i´ll try to help you out with a name...... ;) .........
Found him on a Breeder's site. lol. I know the name will come to me. That's how it was with Lily, Skye, and Rufus, although Rufus has a name before we even went to pick him out :o. It just fit him.

chrissycat21
03-23-2006, 04:39 PM
I have heard that you can use bottled water straight from the bottle, but I've never tried it.

Alysser
03-23-2006, 06:47 PM
Yay! Welcome to Betta hood:)Remember: Pick out the one in the dirtest cup so you can rescue him:)

binka_nugget
03-23-2006, 06:54 PM
I've done this with every single one of my bettas and it's worked fine so far:

-Preferably set up the tank before getting the betta, so that the temperature will get to room temp. If you don't, it's alright though.. sometimes I just get water straight from the tap and raise it to about 73/74
-Add dechlorinator. Bottled water isn't necessary. You can get a small bottle of dechlorinator for a few bucks. I get a big bottle for $12 and it lasts for MONTHS with about 16 bettas
-Float the bag in the water. You want to do that so that you can acclimate him to the different temperature. Also, it's a good idea to slowly add water instead of just dumping him out once the tempature reaches room temp. You also want to get him used to different PH levels and whatever differences his water and your water has.
-I do weekly 100% water changes with my bettas (most are in 1 gallon tanks). With a 2.5 gallon, you might be able to get away with 1 and a half weeks.. but it's hard to do too many water changes. :p

I do 100% water changes with my tanks that aren't cycled.. anything that is smaller than 5 gallons I believe, is too risky to cycle as it won't be as stable.

jackie
03-24-2006, 05:02 AM
I was told you shouldn´t use bottle water, something about added minerals etc.

Chilli
03-24-2006, 09:09 AM
Yay! I'm getting another betta next week. Yes, I'm already addicted! :rolleyes: :D
I really suggest you buy the tank first, and let the water sit for a day or two. Also, we just use water from the tap, but make sure you put some conditioner (we use the brand "Start Right") so that it removes chlorine and chloramine from the water.

crazy_caique
03-24-2006, 10:45 AM
Congrats roxyluvsme I would be excited too :)

king2005
03-24-2006, 11:00 AM
oh, float the bag for about 30 mins. Then slowly add some of the new water to his bag, wait a few mins, add more (about a cup ata time)

Roxyluvsme13
03-24-2006, 03:44 PM
Ok we got him!!! He's soooo pretty, and I love him. He's white with red, and he's in a cup? So..Errr...I already got his tank set up with water conditioner and everything. I'm kinda letting it adjust a little bit before i start floating him...So exactly HOW do I float a cup?

Husky_mom
03-24-2006, 03:46 PM
WOW we need pics!!!!!! i´m not sure how to float a cup but you can put all the cups contents in a plastic bag and float it in the tank, maybe if you have a ziploc.......

how cool!!!!

Roxyluvsme13
03-24-2006, 04:03 PM
WOW we need pics!!!!!! i´m not sure how to float a cup but you can put all the cups contents in a plastic bag and float it in the tank, maybe if you have a ziploc.......

how cool!!!!
Hehehe..YES I know you need pics...I'm waiting on the water to get room temperature, then I'm going to get the lil guy into his tank. I'll let him settle in before I scare him with the flashy box. THEN, I need help naming him..Hahhha...I'm almost into naming him Maximillion Max for short :p.

chocolatepuppy
03-24-2006, 09:26 PM
The cup should float, just like a bag.Congrats and welcome to the betta club! :D ... btw, I love your new siggy. ;)

Roxyluvsme13
03-24-2006, 09:31 PM
The cup should float, just like a bag.Congrats and welcome to the betta club! :D ... btw, I love your new siggy. ;)
Actually I didnt float him :o. I poured most of the water out and rushed him to the tank and put him in there. It worked just fine, and he seems pretty happy. No bubblenest yet though. And thank you! :D

king2005
03-24-2006, 10:00 PM
Actually I didnt float him :o. I poured most of the water out and rushed him to the tank and put him in there. It worked just fine, and he seems pretty happy. No bubblenest yet though. And thank you! :D

The damage you cause the fish isn't always right away, with just dumping them into the water. It can take a while for it to weaken the fish & then kill it.. Many times it'll be hours until the shock kills the fish.

So next time, don't do that!!

Roxyluvsme13
03-25-2006, 07:57 AM
The damage you cause the fish isn't always right away, with just dumping them into the water. It can take a while for it to weaken the fish & then kill it.. Many times it'll be hours until the shock kills the fish.

So next time, don't do that!!
My bad, but someone else who has 5 bettas said they did that to theirs..and they're all fine.(Wasnt someone from PT. It was someone from another forum I'm on) He made a little bubblenest this morning!:D