PDA

View Full Version : My camera is broken! :( Help!

wolf_Q
03-23-2006, 02:43 PM
I was taking pictures today and my camera dropped (not far). Now it no longer works. The lens won't go in and it makes a beeping sound when it turns on and it says "E18" on the screen. I called the canon help line and it sounds like it's something that the camera is going to have to be taken apart to be fixed, which means I have to mail it to them.......which means I will be several weeks without a camera. *cries* It's under warranty until June, but if they find impact damage it won't be under warranty any more...and I don't know how much it will cost to fix. I called around a few places and they estimated at least $80 and that's still taking several weeks. :( :(

I'm not sure what to do. I was going to go on a short trip to Las Vegas in 2 weeks and I don't want to be without a camera. I have my old camera (Kodak) but it's not very good. I was thinking of buying another camera with a better zoom anyway, but I wasn't expecting to have to do it right now. Does anyone have some camera suggestions? I'd prefer to stick with Canon as I have liked the camera so far. It's a Powershot A95 so something considerably better than that. I also need something that uses the same type of memory card I already have (compact flash). Kay/Audrey/Anna what kind of cameras do you guys have again?

MariaM
03-23-2006, 02:45 PM
I have the A610 and really like it, but I think it takes SD. Sorry to hear about your camera! :(

Cataholic
03-23-2006, 03:04 PM
I dropped mine, and it stopped working. That is, until I crammed it back together as much as I could! While not an optimal resolution, it worked for me. :eek:

Anita Cholaine
03-23-2006, 03:21 PM
I'm so sorry! I never had a Canon, but I heard that the E18 error is really common in them... Hope you can fix it soon!

anna_66
03-23-2006, 03:47 PM
:( Amy that's terrible and I'm sorry to hear it.

The two that I have are:

Canon Powershot SI 1S (CompactFlash)
and
Canon Power Shot SD 110 Elph (SD)

Ohhhh....
HAVE FUN IN VEGAS:D:D

.sarah
03-23-2006, 06:20 PM
I have a Canon S2 IS, and it is very nice, but it needs a Secure Digital card. I think Kay has the same camera.

Uabassoon
03-23-2006, 06:22 PM
I've had this problem many time before. What I do is gently fiddle around with the lens, then you'll hear a click and your camera will work again.

This is the site I used to show me how to fix it. E18 (http://blogs.yucs.org/~dwallach/2004/08/canon_e18_error_repair_instruc.html)

slleipnir
03-23-2006, 11:31 PM
I borrowed my friends camera once. I think it was a film camera, but it looked similar to my canon rebel. (exchangable lenses, etc) Anyway, I put it in its case, but it wasn't closed. So of course, the camera fell out. It wouldn't work. The len s wouldn't turn to focus or whatever. I was too busy freaking out, but my dad did some fiddling around and got it to work. It's not really the same thing, I guess...but I hope you can get it working.

(also, if my cellphone broke everytime I dropped it, I would be in a lot of trouble. I'm glad I'm not the same with my cameras....:o I'm afraid of myself sometimes.)