PDA

View Full Version : How would you handle this?

Laura's Babies
03-23-2006, 10:47 AM
I have a friend that has a "super" computer with that new fiber optic super internet. Last night she sent me some stuff, video's that took forever for my DSL light to download and my computer is already bogged down with what I WANT on it. She thinks nothing of sending whole folders full of pictures to people she knows is on dial up connections and she knows I do not like forwards filling up my mailbox. Most of the stuff she sends is stuff I have already seen and she KNOWS that! That super large file of video she sent me last night took 30 minutes to download and it was a video I saw on America's Funniest Home Videos not long ago...

Although she does clean up the forwards she sends me not so I don't get 2 or 3 pages of other peoples addresses anymore, she still sends me tons of forwards. Every day there are 5 to 10 of them.... Last night pushed the limits of my endurance and I have GOT to handle this.. How would you all handle it? What would you say or do?

Seldome does she send me something I haven't alreay seen and I keep telling her that!

Logan
03-23-2006, 11:53 AM
Hit the delete key, immediately, Laura, and :). I don't open forwards, either, most of the time, especially ones that take forever to download.

smokey the elder
03-23-2006, 01:18 PM
You might have to use the "block address" option.

kimlovescats
03-23-2006, 01:24 PM
Try to nicely explain to her that you just don't have the computer / internet capabilities for them. Explain that you would love to hear any news about her and a "hello" from her anytime, but you just don't need all the forwards! If that doesn't work then just block her!

HUGS,
Kim ;)

Cataholic
03-23-2006, 01:29 PM
My dad would just delete them. Never opened them, and never told anyone about it, either. I finally figured out when I asked him about a pic of Jonah I had sent.

To me, unwanted emails are like unwanted junk snail mails- clutter in my mailbox that becomes clutter in my trashcan. :D

Sophist
03-23-2006, 01:37 PM
Yeah, if the header says "FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:FW", I'm not touching it, lol. Just delete. As forwards, they don't warrant a personal reply, and if she ever happens to ask if you got something or why you didn't reply, you can politely but firmly explain that the forwards were a huge pain on your computer for something impersonal and nothing new, etc... But basically, I'd just delete them and let it go unless she mentions it again.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-23-2006, 01:47 PM
As for the full file emails, I would try to explain that your poor old computer just can't handle them - she doesn't need to know that maybe your computer isn't so poor and old, all she needs to understand is that you don't want her to send them in the first place. As for all the email jokes and such, you can either try to politely explain that you REALLY don't want them, or just hit delete like everyone else has suggested. The joke emails are more of a nuisance than anything, but big file downloads that tie up your computer for 30 minutes at a time is just downright rude in my opinion.

Pam
03-23-2006, 01:51 PM
You could tell her that a better way to send you pictures is to open up an online photo site, like Webshots, Photobucket, etc. and view them there. That's what I do when I have a whole group of pictures I want to share. One or two is OK to send, but beyond that it isn't really polite to send a batch to someone, especially if it ties up their ability to even get online while something is loading.

I hate forwards and I usually delete them, especially if they are from one of my co-workers. She rarely sends anything else :rolleyes: and almost never sends one that I haven't seen before. So I just delete them and she never even asks about them. :)

Barbara
03-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Having had no DSL until 3 weeks ago (and now I have only the slowest version as there is no other in my area :() I've explained to some people I had to delete their mails because I could not open it. I never felt I had to pay for 30 minutes download of a funny video.

beeniesmom
03-23-2006, 02:29 PM
I would just delete it....don't even try to open it.
If she should ask about it like..... oh did you see the email I sent you about the bla bla bla, tell her no, the file wouldn't open. I do that to some people that send me ginormous files.

Jessika
03-23-2006, 02:33 PM
My mom sends me tons of forwards... some are really cute I will admit, but most are things I have already seen before during my almost ten years on the internet (my mom however just recently got internet this past December AND a computer that is HERS she can play with, so its all new to her). I get some forwards I was getting around ten years ago!!! Its so crazy, LOL.

But honestly, I would delete them, especially if they contain attachments.

Can you make a filter on your inbox to her address, so ALL emails from her get sent to that folder, then you don't even have to look at them if you don't want to :)

jackie
03-23-2006, 02:40 PM
I hate forwards with a passion. Anyone who sends me a forwards gets an immediate ¨Please do not send me forwards, they clutter up my inbox and waste my time.¨ The only people who can send me forwards are my parents, because i feel too bad to say they are sending me stuff which is about two years old. :o

gini
03-23-2006, 02:46 PM
Your time is valuable. Hit the old delete key - fast!

I wouldn't even mention it to her. If she asks, just say that you get so
much of that stuff you just had to stop opening it. You don't have to say it was from her.

Lobodeb
03-23-2006, 03:08 PM
I would send her this e-mail:

Pardon me for being forward
Just a note to let you know:

I already saw it.

That forward? I got it. I've gotten it. I do not wish to keep receiving it. I was neither moved nor inspired. It was neither clever nor funny. I was not amazed at the stupidity of that criminal, nor disgusted, appalled, and chagrined by the United States Government. I do not marvel at how inexpensive things used to be, nor am I astonished that kids today don't know about things that happened before they were born.

The photo? I had that, too. I have seen two children of any given ethnicity holding hands. I have seen fat ladies in thongs. I saw the bungee jumper crap his pants and I have seen adults covering themselves or others with vomit, urine, and/or beer in any conceivable arrangment with which you would want to provide me. I have no concern for what you consider to be worthy of a MasterCard "Priceless" parody. Intoxication does not amuse me.

I will not be starting or stopping the consumption of any product or service due to the information you provided me in your forwarded email. I will not be winning any contest not will I submit any data for market research. I will not be subverting AOL, Microsoft, Disney, the IRS or any other entity through the continued transmittal of your bogus message. I boycott your boycotts.

I will not sign up for whatever affiliate program you've got in your email signature. I do not marvel at The Way Things Used to Be. Change your homepage to snopes.com.

I do not care about your heart-warming bullsh*t, for I am a stone and my heart is cold. Genuine friendships are characterized by emails that are written and sent for me and to me. I do not want to be made aware you were thinking of me, I will not stop to smell the flowers, I will not count my blessings, and I live in neither the best nor the worst country on Earth. Jesus and I have a policy of mutual apathy toward one another. That kitten is not cute. Your baby is not the first to walk, talk, or use a toilet. God is a hoax.

My answer to your questionnaire is: No. My favorite color is: No. My favorite song is: No. I do not care what tree, dog, fruit, Power Ranger or member of the Mos Eisley Cantina Band I most resemble. There Is No All Your Base. I have seen the End of the Internet page, and that wasn't funny last time, either. I find recantations of "lookit how funny those foreigners are!" xenophobic, trite and tiring.

I think I'm done now. Please attribute this to Dave Barry and Kurt Vonnegut and then forward this to everyone in your address book.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;)

But seriously, one of my hubby's friends had the same problem with my hubby. He (hubby) was very late getting on the e-mail bandwagon so he sends lots and lots of forwards that are new to him, but have been around at least 3-4 times. My hubby had asked his friend if he got his e-mails. His friend said, "nah, I had to block your address, you send too much junk." My hubby's response was, "what am I supposed to send you, then?" I had to explain that some people don't like to get forwards. I've got a few friends like that, too.

Either just delete, try explaining to your friend or block her.

Laura's Babies
03-23-2006, 03:29 PM
The only problem with deleting is it HAS to upoad to my computer before the email ever shows up... (Outlook :( ) I DID delete and do delete a lot of them she sends and have told her so.

You have helped me though, decide what I am going to tell her. I am going to tell her she tied me up with that uploading of stuff I have ALREADY seen, that I just had to get off the computer for the night. If she can't link me to a place to view it, don't send it because it ties me up to long... that I already have so much on my computer that I can't do nothing until the uploading is done and remind her I only have DSL LITE, yet again!

I am now wondering if she isn't fairly new to the computing world that she is sending stuff that has been going around forever... old stuff that I have seen but she hasn't.. I never thought of that until I read some of your responses. I bet she is pretty new!

Scooby4
03-23-2006, 06:14 PM
I have the same issue. It took me awhile to adjust but I have learned to hit the delete button on much of it. I have some friends that send me emails that do NOT display on my computer. The images or jokes just do NOT come up at all. I have tried to tell them this or even tried to change my setup. It just hasn't worked. I get very frustrated at it. :mad:
My excuse to my friends that ask me about an email is "my computer couldn't download it properly and it wouldn't open". If I have seen the email before, I will tell "I've seen it before and it is funny!" :rolleyes: I don't need to tell them that I had deleted it. ;) If they try to send it to me again, I may reply to their email saying "thank you" but not opening the images. You can always say you "forgot about that picture". ;) :p
Another thing you can do is setup another free email account somewhere. Send those emails to that account to save them. That way your normal email account doesn't get overloaded and you can recall that email at a later point when you have time to open it. You can then delete the original copy. I have about 3 free emails sites I use just for identity protection purposes alone. :cool:
By the way... ALWAYS MAKE SURE THEY DON'T HAVE THE FEATURE ACTIVATED TO TELL THEM IF AND WHEN YOU OPENED THEIR EMAIL! There are some "receipt of email" some people attach to their emails to see if the receiver opened the email. This is handy for work purposes but NOT personal. If they are someone who monitors their mail like this, then open the email with one click and then delete it from there. This will let them get a receipt you opened the email BUT NOT let them know you deleted it. ;)

RedHedd
03-23-2006, 06:39 PM
If you have the option with your ISP to access your e-mail on the web go there before downloading your e-mail to your Outlook. I have a friend who consistently sends me large files that I've already seen. If I see my download indicator bogging down (and I'm on a slow-ish DSL), I quickly cancel the download, go to my webmail box and delete the offending file. That way it never makes it to my desktop inbox; it's deleted at the ISP's server.

Karen
03-23-2006, 09:22 PM
I have this issue with some people I do not even know! Some people, once they have asked a question, or nominated a pet, add me to their "friends" list, and I get every email they forward to anyone. It's kinda sad, but I use the email program "Eudora" which has a "junk" filter, and I have just ended up adding a couple of these people to by junk list. It's usually children who do this, I think, but like I said, I don't even know these people, so I don;t know for sure!

Oggyflute
03-24-2006, 08:32 PM
Try using a program called "Mail Washer". You can actrually delete e-mail straight from the server without having to download. You can also bounce e-mail back to the senders, which will end up them taking you off the mailing list. Best thing, it's free! :D

Laura's Babies
03-25-2006, 08:17 PM
I hit reply on the last "already seen (years ago) jokes" she sent and asked her if she didn't mind, I wanted to know how long she has been on computers and online since she sends me stuff that I have seen ages and ages ago. Just a short and sweet question.. She has been online since 99, so she should have seen most of this stuff herself. :confused:

The good news is NO email from her since that, so far........ Did not get the 5 to 10 of them today..... yet....

Oggy, I am getting that mailwasher!

gini
03-26-2006, 11:02 AM
Your post must be prophetic. I get a lot of emails from a woman who is in her 80's. I have known her for years and she lost her husband a year or so ago. All of her emails have forwards, but I never say anything because I think the computer has been a God-send for her now that she is alone.

Because of that, I will send her jokes etc. She forwards them and never cleans up the forward so my email address goes along too.

Yesterday I received an email from someone on her mailing list. They claim to know me - wanted to say hi and did I remember them? Well, no, I don't remember them.

Then came this steady string of emails - all with gobs of forwards.........takes you forever to open them up.

I had to laugh - because now I have to practice what I preached. Delete, delete, delete.

VTJess03
03-26-2006, 09:58 PM
See if you can set up a 'filter' in your e-mail program. The way I understand these to work, they send stuff immediately to your trash without going through the rest of your e-mail. If not, blocking your friend's address, as previously suggested, should keep them from making it off the server and onto your PC, right? Obviously, you have talked to her and been polite, but she doesn't care about your computer situation, and I, personally, would find it very rude that she would continue sending unwanted e-mails that are so huge after having that conversation.

Laura's Babies
03-26-2006, 11:07 PM
VT, I have been to upset about it to go talk to her, I replied on one of her emails FORWARDS to ask how long she had been online. I have to wait until I am over the anger of her tying me up for that junk before I go actually talk to her but I DO think she has got the message... I am only got ONE email from her since then... Titled " Excellent Info on sending e-mails - safely"
(If anyone is interested in seeing that I would be glad to forward it to you!)

Gini, you really cracked me up with,
now I have to practice what I preached. Delete, delete, dele

I am so glad to see I am not the odd one in the bunch that hates forwards. I really thought I was odd, different or something.

gini
03-26-2006, 11:17 PM
Oh no, you are not odd.............to add to the story - the person who thought they knew me (or I don't remember them) forwarded an email to everyone and it has now come back to me from complete strangers FOUR TIMES TODAY!!
It was one of those "if you don't send this in six seconds all of you are going to hell"................"

Sometimes on the internet, I feel as though I am in HELL. :D :D

Laura's Babies
03-27-2006, 09:19 AM
That also is what makes me mad.... to get the SAME forward mulitple times, especially in the same DAY! GRRrrrr! ANY of those that say "if you don't forward this to "X" number of people, I delete immediately. I very, very seldom send out impersonal emails. (And those that say if I don't get this back......) GET A LIFE!

slick
03-27-2006, 09:27 AM
I have two neighbours that send me FW's. Guaranteed that if Betty sends me one, John will send me the same one the next day as we are both on Betty's email list.

I have not said anything to either of them about the amount of email sent my way for certain reasons. Instead I will just delete them because they are simply not funny. I won't set up a rule to delete their emails because sometimes they will email me with a computer problem; in which case, I just go over there and fix it.

On the flip side, I try not to send too many FW's either.

VTJess03
03-29-2006, 09:41 PM
It's amazing to me that of all the junk e-mails that I should have forwarded in the first 10 seconds (or whatever) that calamity hasn't struck yet. I hit the 'delete' button and nothing happened. OH MY! :D

gini
03-29-2006, 10:17 PM
It's amazing to me that of all the junk e-mails that I should have forwarded in the first 10 seconds (or whatever) that calamity hasn't struck yet. I hit the 'delete' button and nothing happened. OH MY! :D

But, but, they say that lightening will strike - or your car will die - or your pet will throw up - or you will spill something all over the computer keyboard.

Hmmmm, you must have some secret that you aren't sharing with us. :D

mike001
03-21-2007, 09:44 AM
Looks like we all have the problem to some degree. I have a friend who does this to me although I've repeatedly said I wasn't interested so I just delete anything I receive now. I open serious mail only or important messages, I can't be bothered with junk mail.