PDA

View Full Version : Missing California Show Dog Spotted in NY Neighborhood

BC_MoM
03-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Missing California Show Dog Spotted in New York Neighborhood

March 22 (Bloomberg) -- Vivi, the prize-winning dog who escaped at John F. Kennedy International Airport last month, has been spotted in New York's Flushing neighborhood during the past week, drawing dozens of volunteers and a $5,000 reward.

Co-owner Jil Walton said the whippet has been seen seven or eight times in the past week in Queens about 10 miles (16 kilometers) north of JFK. The latest sighting was today at 3:45 a.m. New York time, when a man spotted Vivi in Flushing Cemetery. He took his Doberman into the cemetery and the two dogs touched noses, said search volunteer Rosa Chile.

More than 100 volunteers have searched for three-year-old Vivi -- full name Champion Bohem C'est La Vie -- since she fled Feb. 15, patrolling neighborhoods, posting fliers and making phone calls, said Bonnie Folz, head of the rescue effort. Vivi escaped before being loaded onto a Delta flight bound for Los Angeles, two days after winning an award at the Westminster Kennel Club dog show.

``There's been an incredible army of volunteers that have been helping me with this,'' Walton, 39, said in a phone interview from Flushing Cemetery, where she and her fiancé were setting traps for Vivi. ``To imagine an award-winning whippet from California loose in New York -- people feel for her.''

A stakeout is planned for 6 a.m. March 25 in which volunteers will sit and watch for Vivi, instead of just searching an area after she has been seen, said Folz. Professional trackers with scent dogs have scouted the area to verify the sightings. Walton is offering a $5,000 reward for the dog, the maximum her credit card could handle, she said.

Vivi is a purebred whippet, which resembles a miniature greyhound. She is mostly white with dark brown stripes called brindle, said Walton, a horse trainer from Claremont, California. Vivi has brown ears and a dark head, with what looks like a white stripe down her face, said Walton. The dog can run more than 25 miles per hour (40 kilometers per hour).

The dog was sighted the day after her disappearance near the airport, then there was no news for weeks, Walton said. There's been at least one Vivi sighting a day in the past week, said Folz, and searchers expressed confidence Vivi will be found soon.

Source (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000103&sid=axG1I2hQZ6nI&refer=us)

Alysser
03-22-2006, 04:45 PM
YES! Finally she was spotted! :D

lizbud
03-22-2006, 04:49 PM
For some reason this story of Vivi being lost has stuck with me
and I look for updates all the time. Can't get her out of my mind. I
am so glad she's been spotted. I wonder if the man tried to catch
her? I do hope she can be reunited with her people.

*LabLoverKEB*
03-22-2006, 06:20 PM
I read this on the front page in the newspaper, and also saw it on the news a few weeks ago.. very sad... my prayers go out to her owners...

Suki Wingy
03-22-2006, 07:39 PM
OMFG!! I really didn't think she could have survived those storms and freezing temps! Yay Vivi!!

gini
03-22-2006, 11:40 PM
Well, we have succeeded with Delta - Pet Talk prayers and devoted owners have her back home.

Now let's put our heads together and pray for Vivi. I would be totally heartsick if she were my dog. Forget the awards, money, trophies, etc.
I would be just sick over her welfare. What a story she could tell.

My my, these dogs that love to RUN!! They can get themselves in a heap of trouble.

Laura's Babies
03-23-2006, 08:58 AM
I am so glad she has been spotted and I HOPE they get her and she gets back home to her humans. It must be so scarey for her to be lost in a starage place.

CountryWolf07
03-23-2006, 04:05 PM
Wow!

cyber-sibes
03-23-2006, 05:20 PM
I wondered what ever happened to her. Prayers going out for Vivi, for a safe return to her family SOON!

jackie
03-24-2006, 05:40 AM
I thought she would have died shortly after she was lost. I hope she gets home soon.

Daisy and Delilah
03-24-2006, 06:53 AM
I hope and pray that Vivi is found soon and reunited with her owner. What a great story that will be! :D