PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a Betta--

Roxyluvsme13
03-21-2006, 05:13 PM
OK I know I've went like thread happy lately over bettas, and I apologize :o.
One more thing. Ok..
Most of you hopefully saw the betta I am in love with, and if not, I'll post his pic at the end. He is just wow in my opinion. I want him more than ever. Of course, he's going to be $45 to get over here, mainly for shipping. (That is IF I can save up enough money for him before he's sold) But should I really spend this much on ONE betta? He's gorgeous, and really good quality, but he's only going to be a pet, so...Is it worth it? I could go to Petsmart and spend this $45 on a betta from there. Buying him all kinds of things to spoil him, etc..or I could get the one betta I like alot...I just dont know what to do.
Here he is: I've started calling him Artemis.

Chilli
03-21-2006, 05:20 PM
Well, how long has it been since you owned fish? And were your fish kept healthy?
Well, if its been a while, I honestly think you should go with one from petsmart, like your original plan. :)
It would be horrible if you spent $45 on a fish, and you accidently do something wrong, and it dies. I don't mean to sound cheap, but thats why I went with a betta from our petstore in town.
Just my opinion! :D

Roxyluvsme13
03-21-2006, 05:21 PM
Well, how long has it been since you owned fish? And were your fish kept healthy?
Well, if its been a while, I honestly think you should go with one from petsmart, like your original plan. :)
It would be horrible if you spent $45 on a fish, and you accidently do something wrong, and it dies. I don't mean to sound cheap, but thats why I went with a betta from our petstore in town.
Just my opinion! :D
Goldfish--Lived for a year, were fine until my grandpa had to take treatment things. They had perfect lives. Had them in August, but this will be my first betta.

IRescue452
03-21-2006, 05:22 PM
I'd do the petsmart thing. Get a nice tank and decorations with the left overs, and a toy for the soon to be jealous Roxy.

Chilli
03-21-2006, 05:24 PM
Yeh... Hinge is my first betta, and thats part of the reason I went with a petstore buy.

chrissycat21
03-21-2006, 05:37 PM
I honestly wouldn't spend that much on a betta unless you are planning to breed in the future. Thats just my opinion...I would rather save on of the VT that are stuck sitting on a petstore or Walmart shelf and give them agood home. :)

Chilli
03-21-2006, 05:39 PM
I would rather save on of the VT that are stuck sitting on a petstore or Walmart shelf and give them agood home. :)

Yeah, thats what I meant to mention!! :D.... the $45 betta will certainly get a good home, because only someone who was really serious about bettas would buy one with that pricetag.

Roxyluvsme13
03-21-2006, 05:42 PM
Yeah, thats what I meant to mention!! :D.... the $45 betta will certainly get a good home, because only someone who was really serious about bettas would buy one with that pricetag.
Yeah I know...but someday when I am more betta experienced and on my own, I'm going to get a purple crowntail similar to him. I bet there's a bunch of bettas just waiting for some love at Petsmart :D.
ETA:What's VT stand for? :o Sorry I'm a bit new to betta breeds :p.

Chilli
03-21-2006, 05:49 PM
ETA:What's VT stand for? :o Sorry I'm a bit new to betta breeds :p.

I really don't know! :o I just agreed to everything else that was mentioned! :D
All I know is that my dream betta is just an opaque... nothing fancy... just an opaque.

Flatcoatluver
03-21-2006, 05:53 PM
yeah I got two beautiful purple and pink bettas at petsmart, i know you can find a beautiful betta for your first.

chrissycat21
03-21-2006, 06:03 PM
VT stands for Viel Tail which is the most common tail type in bettas found at petstores. Although, I do know some Walmarts have started carrying crowntails. I've seen a few at Petsmart, too.

Roxyluvsme13
03-21-2006, 06:05 PM
VT stands for Viel Tail which is the most common tail type in bettas found at petstores. Although, I do know some Walmarts have started carrying crowntails. I've seen a few at Petsmart, too.
I love Crowntails ^^ :D

Suki Wingy
03-21-2006, 07:44 PM
That betta is GORGEOUS. Purple is very rare, I bet that was just lighting. But still... *drool* I think a betta that nice should be bred. Maybe you want to let the breeders get this guy? The good thing about petsmart and walmart bettas is noone wants the brown ones, and I like them a lot when they are brown! What is weird is walmart the one time I got all the way out there seemed to take better care of the one betta left than petsmart does.
I just found out that bettas can live happily with pygmy cory! :D
http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~cflee/fishTank/albino%20cory.jpg
^^Beautiful albino cory

chrissycat21
03-21-2006, 07:49 PM
Most bettas can live peacefully with pygmy and other cories. But, most people do not keep their bettas in large enough tanks for cories to live in. Cories need to live in groups of atleast 3-5 and need a minimum of 10 gallons. Pygmy cories can live in a 5 gallon tank, but I'm not sure how many can fit in there. Are you planning on getting some?

Suki Wingy
03-21-2006, 07:53 PM
My mom has to warm up to the idea first. She's actually thinking about a fishtank for the livingroom. I was thinking 3 cories and a male betta in a 5-10 gallon. (most likley 5) Is that too crouded? From what I've read, 3-5 cories or more is a good number.

Roxyluvsme13
03-21-2006, 07:54 PM
That betta is GORGEOUS. Purple is very rare, I bet that was just lighting. But still... *drool* I think a betta that nice should be bred. Maybe you want to let the breeders get this guy? The good thing about petsmart and walmart bettas is noone wants the brown ones, and I like them a lot when they are brown! What is weird is walmart the one time I got all the way out there seemed to take better care of the one betta left than petsmart does.
I just found out that bettas can live happily with pygmy cory! :D
http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~cflee/fishTank/albino%20cory.jpg
^^Beautiful albino cory
I already said I wasnt going to get him...:(. I just want a betta, :p. Brown bettas? :confused:

Suki Wingy
03-21-2006, 07:59 PM
oh, I didn't see that part. :p and yup, brown! kinda like this one. (http://wetwebfotos.com/usermedia/high/4/6434_62.jpg) I bet they would brighten up to this color once in a nice tank. Here's more what they look like in thier little cups: http://www.azbettaheads.com/_borders/Hershey_Vail_Tail_Male_Betta.jpg

chrissycat21
03-21-2006, 08:03 PM
Pygmy Cories in a 5 gallon would be ok.

Any other cory would be pushing it. But, pygmy cories aren't bottom dwellers, they stay more towards the middle and top of the tank, so they might bother the betta.

At the Walmart in Palatine they did have a 10 gallon tank with lighting and filter for $30. Palatine isn't too far from you, Suki Wingy. [sorry, I don't remember your name :o :o ]

editted to add:
Don't worry, the bettas colors will brighten up SO much once you get them settled into a nice tank and out of a dirty cup. I've seen the brownest of bettas turn into the most colorfull. :)

Roxyluvsme13
03-21-2006, 08:07 PM
editted to add:
Don't worry, the bettas colors will brighten up SO much once you get them settled into a nice tank and out of a dirty cup. I've seen the brownest of bettas turn into the most colorfull. :)
Really? Like what colors would they turn? :p

Alysser
03-21-2006, 08:59 PM
I would never spend that much on a Betta unless I was breeding him. Pets are ment for pets and I think that handsome guy was made for breeding. Save a petstore fish. Goldfish are ALOT different from bettas so don't go by that. Although, my first betta lived for four years I don't think everyone has luck with fish. For a betta "beginner", I think it's hard for them to tell when a betta has a problem. Unless, you have done ALOT of research on diseases,food quality, water, ect I wouldn't invest $45 for a betta when it's your first time owning one unless your planning on breeding.

flamepony12
03-22-2006, 12:23 AM
I think you should "rescue" one from the pet store, since you just want a betta as a pet, not for showing or spawning.

That purple guy is GORGEOUS. Don't take this offensively, but I think he should go to a home where he'll be spawned and his lines can be carried on. The main reason he's so much (for a betta, that is) is because of his quality, as I've told you before.

Give one from the Pet Store a second chance - you'd get yourself a wonderful little pet and perhaps save a life.

IRescue452
03-22-2006, 09:09 AM
I think that brown is a mustard. I've seen a few but they are quite rare around my area. I absolutely love them. There's a pair on this page http://www.flippersandfins.net/bettabreedingarticle.htm

Husky_mom
03-22-2006, 12:01 PM
heŽs gorgeous!!!! i wish i could get one like that one. but i also was like, heŽll be my first betta, so i thought of rescueing one from a pet store and ended up with my quintet LOL....... maybe when i get more experience iŽll get one like that heŽs stunning and maybe iŽll consider spawning.......and get a female since i havnbet seen one around here

Scooby4
03-22-2006, 01:02 PM
I agree that Betta is beautiful. :D However, it is obvious it is bred that way and could be of "poor" quality. Some breeding can take risks on it's health that are unseen.
A "REAL" Betta is originally "white/opaque". They have NO color to them at all. It was later when the "Siamese" started using them as "fighting fish" that the vibrant colors emerged. The colors were used to distinquish and "show-off" their breeding color skills.
Betta's were often found in mud holes around the region. They can live in relatively small amounts of water. That makes them an excellent fish to begin with. The female Betta does require more oxygen and can be kept in "schools" unlike it's male counter part. That is why female Betta's are found in tanks while the male can be found in cups.
Breeding Betta's is easy but also complicated. Too much for me to discuss here. It is also covered in another thread posted some months back.
I would hold back on paying $45 on this fish. If it were a pair of male and female then I would consider it. You'd rather have the female crowntail in the long run.

Suki Wingy
03-22-2006, 01:43 PM
I think that brown is a mustard. I've seen a few but they are quite rare around my area. I absolutely love them. There's a pair on this page http://www.flippersandfins.net/bettabreedingarticle.htm
I had a feeling they might just be really dirty mustard gases but I didn't know.

Chrissy, that's the one. It takes us 30-40 minutes to get to and it's the closest Walmart around. What's funny is the petsmart is 3 miles away and in the summer Nińo and I walk there every week!