PDA

View Full Version : Child killed by family dog ...

AmberLee
04-24-2002, 12:58 AM
While tracking down a news story today, I came across this account of a fatal dog mauling (http://www.theksbwchannel.com/news/1411317/detail.html) in Monterey, California last Friday. A grandmother, her two grandchildren, and two family dogs were out for a walk when the dogs got spooked (by a lizard?!) and a tragedy occurred. Sorry, I know it's distressing, but I thought if discussion came up on the case that you would prefer to have some background on it. [Something seems wrong in the news account, but I'm not sure what, exactly.]

Fuzzy317
04-24-2002, 01:17 AM
Its a sad story, and I agree something is not quite right about the story.

It says: "... said the incident was a surprise and there have been no indications of previous negligence."

What negligence are they refering to, the grandmother for walking two grandchildren and the family's dogs at the same time, or the owner of the lizard for allow his pet to run loose. :rolleyes:

The grandmother "... fought the dog off and threw herself onto her granddaughter while her grandson called 911." That does not sound like neglect to me.

Corinna
04-24-2002, 10:50 AM
Something else I noticed was at the beganing if the story it says dog. then dogs are confined them dog again at the end of the story. there must be something missing from this story.

mugsy
04-24-2002, 12:29 PM
The article made me mad enough that I emailed the news director and asked for an explanation of the article and asked some of the same questions you guys posed. My question to him was, what did the little girl do to instigate the attack?? My belief is that a family dog isn't going to attack without provication and I let him know that too. I'll let you know if I get a response.

AmberLee
04-24-2002, 06:47 PM
Thank you, Mugsy! I was troubled by the story, but didn't think of following through like you did. I would very much appreciate your update if/when you receive it. It would bring peace of mind! Thanks!

mugsy
04-24-2002, 07:45 PM
AmberLee, what do you think of everyone who reads this emailing the news director and see what he does then?? <eg> Just ask for evil and I will deliver!!

Corinna
04-24-2002, 07:59 PM
I think it would be more to the point to e-mail the law enforcement office and get the story as they have it. I never completely soullow a media story.

mugsy
04-24-2002, 08:19 PM
Good point Corrina, I just emailed the news director because his email was on the website and I don't know how to get the police's email, but it's worth looking into!!

Corinna
04-24-2002, 08:42 PM
I found the sheriffs web page and sent an e-mail asking for the facts of the case so we could discuss it factually. As soon as I get a reply I'll put it on .

mugsy
04-24-2002, 09:09 PM
Good woman. I will let you know if and when I hear from the newspaper too.

Corinna
04-27-2002, 03:58 PM
My e-mail to the sheriffs office came back undeliverable. any one else got any ideas?