PDA

View Full Version : Recipes - Starters

Randi
03-21-2006, 12:26 PM
How about this one I found on a BBC cooking site! :)

Preparation time 30 mins to 1 hour
Cooking time less than 10 min.

This is for two persons.

Ingredients

16 large raw prawns, shelled, with tails attached
150-175ml/5-6fl oz chilled champagne or sparkling wine
oil, for deep frying
100g/4oz self-raising flour, plus 2 tbsp for dusting
salt and freshly ground black pepper
lemon wedges, to serve
For the cocktail sauce:
3 heaped tbsp mayonnaise
1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
few drops of Tabasco sauce
few drops of soy sauce
squeeze of lemon juice
celery salt and freshly ground black pepper
Method

1. First of all, make the cocktail sauce. This is best done with your partner - although it may take twice as long! One of you drops the mayonnaise, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, soy and lemon juice into a bowl while the other mixes to a smooth consistency. Season with celery salt and pepper. Have a taste and add any extras if you both agree on it, then transfer to a small bowl and put to one side while you prepare the prawns.
2. If you've bought the prawns with the head and shell attached, prepare them between you - this is real teamwork, and although it may not be sensual, it will take half the time. Place the prepared prawns with about 2-3 tbsp of the champagne or sparkling wine in a non-metallic bowl to marinate for about 30 minutes.
3. Place enough oil in a wok, large saucepan or deep-fat fryer to come halfway up the pan. Place over a medium heat. If you're using a deep-fat fryer or have a thermometer, heat the oil to 180C/350F. If not, check the oil is at the right temperature by dropping a 2-3cm/¾-1¼in cube of bread into it. It should become golden and crispy in 1 minute.
4. Sift the flour and a generous pinch of salt into a large bowl. Whisk in enough of the champagne or sparkling wine to give a thick batter. Add the remaining liquid if it seems too gluey. The best way to do this is if one of you pours while the other whisks.
5. Remove the prawns from the marinade and pat dry with kitchen paper. Season with salt and pepper and lightly toss in the 2 tbsp of flour. Holding the tail, dip each prawn into the batter to coat and place into the hot oil. Keep hold of the tail for a couple of seconds before letting go. This will stop them sticking to each other or the base of the pan. Continue with the remaining prawns. Allow them to cook for about 6-7 minutes until golden and crispy, turning in the oil halfway through to ensure even cooking.
6. Once they are cooked, carefully remove the battered prawns from the oil and sit on kitchen paper to allow any excess oil to drain away. Sprinkle with salt and serve on one plate to share with the cocktail sauce and lemon wedges.

Oh, and here's a link to Soup! (http://67.15.70.205/talk/showthread.php?p=906889#post906889)

beeniesmom
03-21-2006, 12:31 PM
Sounds yummy, but I am waiting for your fish recipe in my thread "what to cook". Some say your fish recipe is great!
PS: You posted this thread twice.

Randi
12-30-2007, 11:54 AM
This one sounds good too - must try that! :)

Hot Artichoke and Spinach Dip

INGREDIENTS
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
salt and pepper to taste
1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

DIRECTIONS
1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a small baking dish.
2 In a medium bowl, mix together cream cheese, mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, Romano cheese, garlic, basil, garlic salt, salt and pepper. Gently stir in artichoke hearts and spinach.
3 Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Top with mozzarella cheese. Bake in the preheated oven 25 minutes, until bubbly and lightly browned.

jennielynn1970
12-30-2007, 02:37 PM
Oooooh! Spinach and artichoke dip!! Yum!!!! My friend Wendy and I try that at almost every restaurant we go to! We like to see who does it better!

kuhio98
12-30-2007, 02:40 PM
Yum-Yum! You know, with all these great recipies on PT, we really should consider putting out a cookbook to raise funds for operating this website, or a charity, or ???

Anyone want to take it on?

Randi
10-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Any more starters?

Sevaede
10-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Yum-Yum! You know, with all these great recipies on PT, we really should consider putting out a cookbook to raise funds for operating this website, or a charity, or ???

I am highly in favour of this idea!! Would it be all original, our favourites, etc?

Randi
10-05-2008, 07:36 AM

What a great idea!! :) We could also make one with recipes for cat/dog/etc. food.

I guess at least 3 members would have to try the recipes that were to go in a book. ;) Or for each recipe, we could post ratings.