PDA

View Full Version : What should I cook this week for dinners.

beeniesmom
03-21-2006, 09:25 AM
I am in a rut.
I love to cook but it seems as if I make the same thing over and over.
I need some ideas people! :)
Hubby is a very picky eater and that doesn't make things easy.
I like everything.

Forgot to add: he doesn't like mexican, hates spinach ... actually most greens except broccoli.

caseysmom
03-21-2006, 09:35 AM
I feel for you, I run out of ideas too. Last night I made white bean chicken chili, it was good for a cold evening.

Today I am thinking about putting some steaks in the crock pot and making fajitas tonight...not sure but it sounds kind of good.

Pawsitive Thinking
03-21-2006, 09:36 AM
Must be Tuesday - we've got sausages!! Hard to come up with new ideas isn't it? Luckily my hubby does most of the cooking so I'm afraid I can't help ;)

beeniesmom
03-21-2006, 09:38 AM
:)
I make pasta too much... it's easy and he likes it.

I want to make some chicken.... baked.

I never fry anything. It's either baked or skillet cooked.

My mom once made this chicken recipe with honey and tomato. I should call her for the recipe. I rememeber the chicken had this awesome glaze on it.

beeniesmom
03-21-2006, 09:39 AM
I'm reading the recipe thread here and so far everything has some ingredients that he'd never touch. Shessshhhhh

Maresche
03-21-2006, 09:40 AM
How about a Pasta Bake? Chili with Cheese over Rice (this is one of my favorite Crockpot recipes)? Since he likes brocolli, Cheesy Brocolli rice Casserole? Homemade pizza or burgers?

caseysmom
03-21-2006, 09:40 AM
You know if you just salt and pepper a whole chicken and bake it that is really good and the whole house will smell good.

beeniesmom
03-21-2006, 09:42 AM
How about a Pasta Bake? Chili with Cheese over Rice (this is one of my favorite Crockpot recipes)? Since he likes brocolli, Cheesy Brocolli rice Casserole? Homemade pizza or burgers?

OH yes, Cheesy Rice casarole.
How do you make that.
It's sounds like something he'd eat.

beeniesmom
03-21-2006, 09:44 AM
You know if you just salt and pepper a whole chicken and bake it that is really good and the whole house will smell good.

ok. I'll try that. It's sounds simple and good. He'll eat it. With a salad on the side. How long for a whole chicken to cook? I sometimes just do chicken parts that way but not a whole one.

Randi
03-21-2006, 09:49 AM
How about some fish? ;) :D

beeniesmom
03-21-2006, 09:53 AM
How about some fish? ;) :D

Yes, he'll eat fish.... the only one he won't touch is salmon.

Maresche
03-21-2006, 09:55 AM
OH yes, Cheesy Rice casarole.
How do you make that.
It's sounds like something he'd eat.

Start process to cook 2 cups (when dry) rice. (I have a rice cooker so I use that). Preheat oven to 350. Saute in 1/2 cup water until slightly soft, 1 small onion diced and roughly 1/2 lb brocolli cut into bite sized pieces (2 good sized stalks). Combine cooked rice, onion/brocolli mixture WITH WATER, 1 regular can cream of mushroom soup, and 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese. Mix well and pour/scrape into casserole dish. Cover top with 1 cup shred ched and pepper if you like pepper and bake for 20 minutes or until cheese on top is brown and bubbly (since everything else is already cooked).

I hope this makes sense.

beeniesmom
03-21-2006, 09:58 AM
Start process to cook 2 cups (when dry) rice. (I have a rice cooker so I use that). Preheat oven to 350. Saute in 1/2 cup water until slightly soft, 1 small onion diced and roughly 1/2 lb brocolli cut into bite sized pieces (2 good sized stalks). Combine cooked rice, onion/brocolli mixture WITH WATER, 1 regular can cream of mushroom soup, and 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese. Mix well and pour/scrape into casserole dish. Cover top with 1 cup shred ched and pepper if you like pepper and bake for 20 minutes or until cheese on top is brown and bubbly (since everything else is already cooked).

I hope this makes sense.

OH YUM!
I have everything in the house too!
I will make that tonight or tomorrow.
Yes, it makes sense.
Thank you!

Laura's Babies
03-21-2006, 10:02 AM
Anyone ever make ground beef and cabbage? Shred the cabbage while you scramble the ground beef in a skillet with a onion. Add the cabbage and stir fry. I can't cook enough of this, my crew LOVES it.

Another hit last trip was stuffed bell peppers. Even the little that was left over got ate at midnight watch change.

beeniesmom
03-21-2006, 10:06 AM
I haven't made stuffed peppers in a while too. Thanks for the idea.
I can't make anything with cabbage. He won't eat it. It does sound yummy thought (to me) :)

slick
03-21-2006, 10:06 AM
Yes, he'll eat fish.... the only one he won't touch is salmon.
Randi has this awesome recipe for fish.... :)

Laura: The sounds good but I would want to add some spices to it. Any suggestions?

Mar: Would that work with brown rice?....Edit: dah...I see you cook the rice beforehand then mix together so will try it.

Jadapit
03-21-2006, 10:08 AM
I have a recipe for Chicken Veggie Alfredo. It goes in the crock pot. Its super easy and oh so yummy. ;) I will post the recipe if you want. Let me know.

Maresche
03-21-2006, 10:09 AM
Mar: Would that work with brown rice?

It tastes better with brown rice though you may not need quite as much.

Maresche
03-21-2006, 10:09 AM
I have a recipe for Chicken Veggie Alfredo. It goes in the crock pot. Its super easy and oh so yummy. ;) I will post the recipe if you want. Let me know.

Oh Please! I'm always on the hunt for more crockpot recipes.

beeniesmom
03-21-2006, 10:15 AM
Yes, yes, Jadapit. I'd love that recipe too.

christa
03-21-2006, 10:16 AM
I made *Stuffed Peppers* last night! YUM!!! :D

Made them with ground turkey (instead of beef) so they're healthy ;) and did I mention yummy?

beeniesmom
03-21-2006, 10:18 AM
I made a simple mushroom alfredo last night, with a mixed baby green salad and italian bread.

Ginger's Mom
03-21-2006, 10:27 AM
Have to ask Carmen, because I have been craving mushrooms for about a month now, can't seem to get enough. How did you make it? Sounds like a yummy idea.

Jadapit
03-21-2006, 10:33 AM
Chicken Veggie Alfredo

4 boneless chicken breast halves
1 tbs vegetable oil
1 jar (16 oz) Alfredo sauce
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 cup frozen peas thawed
1 jar sliced mushrooms, drained
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Hot cooked linguine

In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil.
Transfer to a slow cooker.
In a bowl combine the Alfredo sauce, corn, peas, mushrooms, onion, water, garlic salt and pepper. Pour over chicken.

Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Serve over linguine.

"If you like, add other veggies to suit your family's tastes."

beeniesmom
03-21-2006, 10:44 AM
Have to ask Carmen, because I have been craving mushrooms for about a month now, can't seem to get enough. How did you make it? Sounds like a yummy idea.

Very easy.

You'll need:
1/2 chopped onion
1 container of mushrooms (any kind)
Butter 2 tablespoons
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup heavy creme
salt and pepper
cooked pasta
1 egg yolk
Parmesan cheese

Chop your mushrooms. In a small pot of boiling water boil the mushrooms for about 2 minutes, then drain.

In a large pan, add onion and 2 table spoons of butter. Cook onions for a few minutes then add your mushrooms, your milk, creme and pinch of salt and black pepper. Let cook over very low heat until it starts bubbling. Stir for about a minute and then turn heat off, cover.

Cook your pasta according to package directions. Any kind will do. I prefer Barilla Penne with ridges.

After you drain your pasta, put it all in the pan with the sauce. Add the egg yolk and toss around. Let sit for a minute before serving.

Serve with parmiggiano cheese.

enjoy

This same recipe can be made with broccoli and or peas (for mushrooms) or all three and you've got yourself a primavera!

caseysmom
03-21-2006, 11:04 AM
For the whole chicken just bake at 350 for an hour and a half.

gini
03-21-2006, 11:25 AM
Now thanks, it is only 9:30 am here and you all have made me very hungry!! :D :D

Ginger's Mom
03-21-2006, 11:32 AM
Thanks Carmen. Keep going guys, I think I am going to print this out before I leave work today and stop at the store on the way home. Keep those ideas coming.

king2005
03-21-2006, 11:32 AM
Fancy Kraft Dinner (I forget the real name to it hehe)

*1 box of regular or extra creamy KD (follow directions on the box)
*1 tomato (chopped)
*home made Bacon bits (cook how much bacon you want, then run it through a processor or chop the heck out of it, DO NOT use fake bacon bits, BARF!!)
*1 cup Cheddar Cheese (shredded, and if you want more, shred more)

Dir.
Mix prepared KD, chopped tomato & bacon bits together into a casseroll dish. Cover top with shredded cheddar cheese. Bake at 350F until the cheese is browning & bubbling. Let cool for 10 mins (if you can wait that long), serve & enjoy :)

-----------------

Chili KD

*1 box of regular or extra creamy KD (follow directions on the box)
*1 tomato (chopped)
*add chili kind of veggies, peppers, etc "option"
*1 taco kit sauce type of stuff or 1 tbl spoon of chili powder
*1 cup Cheddar Cheese (shredded, and if you want more, shred more)

Dir.
Mix prepared KD, chopped tomato, optional veggies & tack kit sauce or the chilli powder together & pour into a casseroll dish. spred cheese ontop. Bake at 350F until the cheese is browning & bubbling. Let cool for 10 mins (if you can wait that long), serve & enjoy :)

beeniesmom
03-22-2006, 09:21 AM
I am making the broccoli rice tonight.
I wanted to make it yesterday and thought I had all the ingredients. I didn't have the creme of mushroom. I had creme of chicken and wasn't sure if I could use it instead...

We ended up having Pizza and salad. I know... real healthy.

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-22-2006, 09:24 AM
Luckily my hubby does most of the cooking so I'm afraid I can't help ;)

LUCKY YOU !!! Now you made me jalous: my hubby doesn't even know how to turn on the cooking plates... :rolleyes:

Laura's Babies
03-22-2006, 09:47 AM
Slick, which dish are you asking about? Not that it matters, just add the spices that YOU like... everyone has different tastes and you could just spice it up with the spices YOU like.

with either dish you could use Italian sausage or breakfast sausage instead of ground beef or with the ground beef. Could add tomato sauce or Picant's sauce.. There isre just so many ways to change them to ones own taste.

slick
03-22-2006, 10:11 AM
LB: I was actually referring to the cabbage and hamburger recipe. Just those two alone sound rather bland to me so I would want to spice it up. To me, food ain't food unless it's so "hot" it makes your nose run. :D Sadly, and as I've gotten older, my insides have started to protest. :p I like the idea of adding sausage (hot italian, of course) and the Picant sauce. Hmm, I do have all the ingredients so maybe I'll make that in the next night or two. Thanks. :)

Cataholic
03-22-2006, 11:08 AM
[QUOTE=Laura's Babies]Anyone ever make ground beef and cabbage? Shred the cabbage while you scramble the ground beef in a skillet with a onion. Add the cabbage and stir fry. I can't cook enough of this, my crew LOVES it.

LAURA! You have GOT to substitute ham for the ground beef...AND, then, boil egg noodles in a separate pot, and drain well, THEN stir fry the egg noodles in with the ham and cabbage. It is my FAVE comfort food, FAVE!!! I must have it with ketchup, and I like it a little bit burnt.

pitc9
03-22-2006, 11:30 AM
Last night it was Meatloaf, mashed potatoes and cream corn.
Tonight it's Ham steaks, scalloped potatoes and perogie's.
Tomorrow morning I'm putting a roast in the crock pot to slow cook all day long. (Boy does the house smell GREAT by the time I get home from work!!)

carole
03-22-2006, 04:47 PM
How about mini pizzas, i do a low fat version , i buy little pita breads, reduced fat cheese, low fat ham and make up a ham and pineapple version , i use lite tomato sauce, onion, WW reduced cheese, low fat ham and pineapple,of course you can add any topping you prefer or have the higher fat version if you prefer, i cook them and them freeze them, so nice and handy to have and quick and easy.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
03-22-2006, 04:52 PM
My all time favorite dinner is roast beef, mashed potatoes, yorkshire pudding, and gravy to smother them in! I like a variety of vegetables, so I change them around all the time. I find most of my recipes at All Recipes (www.allrecipes.com) - all of the recipes are rated and have great reviews.

k9krazee
03-22-2006, 04:53 PM
Potato Soup...? I am abolutely in love with the stuff and actually made a ton so I could eat it for lunches :p MMmmmm!!! :D :D

I think I'll print off a few of these recipes too! :D

I_luv_rusty
03-22-2006, 05:07 PM
Theres this stuff my mom makes... Its chicken with breading and its has ranch dip in it. Its REALLY good, I'l try and get the recipe for you. :D

Crazy-Cat-Lover
03-22-2006, 05:10 PM
Potato Soup...? I am abolutely in love with the stuff and actually made a ton so I could eat it for lunches :p MMmmmm!!! :D :D

I think I'll print off a few of these recipes too! :D

Mmmm.... Potato Soup! I made a pot last night. I also added some crispy, fried bacon that I diced. Yummy!

carole
03-22-2006, 05:15 PM
Another thought came to mind how about a Fritatta,(sp) i have a great recipe for a healthy WWatcher one with spinach and potato in it , it is really yummy. :)

Husky_mom
03-22-2006, 07:09 PM
theres a very easy way to have "marinated" chicken just submerge it in lemon juice and cook it on a pan without oil just the same lemon juice and a bit of water also you can add some lemon pepper powder and voila!!! you can serve it with a side of salad, pasta, bread, or anything and it just takes like 10 min to marinate or less and as long as it gets cooked................

also its a very easy thing to do but you need to fry some "tortillas" of corn not wheat, than add some tomato puree (SP?)and some..............argg forgot the name (consome) powder and serve it with some mashed beans, not chilli beans, regular beans............

you can also have some tuna mixed with philadelphia cheese, its really good.....have i said I LOVE cheese............hmmm.................

you can also have this wheat tortillas filled with chesee and ham and on the top you can spread some avocado and some sliced/chopped tomato...........

Shelteez2
03-22-2006, 10:05 PM
I have tons of easy recipes.... My family is all about easy...

What about chicken cacciatore? (sp) cacitore?(sp) (Ok I can't spell it but I can cook it and it's really yummy)

Take chicken (I like to use boneless skinless chicken thighs) and put in a roasting type pan. Cut green pepper, onion and mushrooms and put ontop of chicken. Mix can of tomato sauce and soup together in a bowl and add some water (approx 1/2 can or so). Pour over chicken. Sprinkle garlic powder and oregano on top. Put lid on pan and put in oven at 350F for approx 1.5 hours.

I serve it over noodles and I usually make wholewheat noodles. :)

K9karen
03-23-2006, 12:40 AM
Thanks all for the great ideas! Luckily, none of the guys are picky and are willing guinea pigs for everything I make. I always liked to cook, but since my mom died, it seems like I experiement with something new almost every night. I found it releases my stress. I buy a lot of boneless chicken breasts (they're always on sale) and sometimes go to "Cooks.com" for some wonderful, easy recipes. I love my George Foreman and us it alot.
Now I'm starving.....We should do a PT cookbook!!!

beeniesmom
03-23-2006, 08:26 AM

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks for this recipe.
I finally made it last night and it was a complete success. It came out so good. I even took pix. Will post them tonight! I hope the leftovers are good because that is what I brought for lunch!!! :)

beeniesmom
03-23-2006, 08:27 AM

I am making your roasted chicken tonight!

cyber-sibes
03-23-2006, 05:24 PM
I was just getting ready to go cook - tonight I'm making battered cod, baked potatos, and brussel sprouts..maybe some carrots, too.

beeniesmom
03-24-2006, 08:16 AM
Yum!
I will probably bake fish sticks tonight and make some fresh green beans.

Killearn Kitties
03-24-2006, 10:05 AM
I used to make a Chicken and Broccoli bake kind of thing in a creamy sauce. Haven't had it in ages. Would you like me to look the recipe out?

beeniesmom
03-24-2006, 10:08 AM
I used to make a Chicken and Broccoli bake kind of thing in a creamy sauce. Haven't had it in ages. Would you like me to look the recipe out?

Someone already posted a SIMILAR recipe here for it and I made it two nights ago!
It IS YUMMY!

Killearn Kitties
03-24-2006, 10:12 AM
Oh sorry, I must have missed it. It was good. I must make it again sometime!

Cataholic
03-24-2006, 11:35 AM

Have you ever made this in the form of 'popovers'? You use creme cheese, diced chicken and broccoli and put it inside those rolls that come in a tube? It is so yummy.

(course, most food surrounded by creme cheese has a little 'somethin' to it, he he he)

Oggyflute
03-24-2006, 08:13 PM
My latest recipie, was Lobster stuffed Mushrooms. I served it as a starter on a bed of rice. For the main, I did Lime Garlic Chicken and a fresh tossed garden salad.

Lobster Stuffed Mushrooms
(Created by Trev)

Serves 4
Ingredients:
8 Large mushrooms
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
2 cloves of garlic – minced
¼ tsp. black pepper
½ tsp. salt
1 tbsp. olive oil
½ cup bread crumbs
1 tsp Italian herbs
¼ cup Lobster meat – chopped
2 tbsp. of mayonnaise
olive oil – for brushing

Directions:
-Remove stems from mushrooms. Set aside caps; chop stems.
-Combine all ingredients, except mushroom caps.
-Spoon mixture unto mushroom caps.
-Arrange mushrooms, filling side up, in shallow baking dish.
-Brush each mushroom with olive oil.
-Bake in 160 degree oven for 25 minutes.

Notes:
-Can be made in advance, then reheated in oven until warm.
-Sprinkle a little tasty cheddar on top prior to re-heating
-Serve on a small bed of jasmine rice.

beeniesmom
03-24-2006, 08:15 PM
Oh My Goodness!
That sounds divine!

joycenalex
03-25-2006, 08:18 PM
i made this last sunday, and i LOVE it, really very easy comfort food.
2T butter/margarine
2Tflour
1c beef broth (i used unsalted)
2 pinches sage
3-4 boneless pork loin chops
1/2 c flour for dredging
1/2 t season salt, 1T pepper (i like it peppery)
2Tcrisco
1/2 onion thinly sliced 1/2 sliced celery
preheat oven to 350,
slice onions and celery, set aside
in small frying pan, melt butter, add flour stir till lightly browned, slowly stir in broth and sage (FYI-cold broth gets lotsa lumps :eek: ), stir till smooth, set aside on back of stove
add spices to flour and dredge chops, melt crisco, pan fry chops 7-10 minutes, turning once
place in large casserole dish, set on other side of stove back
stir fry onions and celery till golden, place on chops, pour flour/butter roux over chops, cover and bake 30 minutes, don't peek.
serve with mashed potatoes, broccoli, cooked carrots or fav veggies. enjoy!

Killearn Kitties
04-07-2006, 04:26 PM
I made your Mushroom Alfredo recipe tonight. It was very good. Thank you! :D

beeniesmom
04-08-2006, 09:13 AM
I made your Mushroom Alfredo recipe tonight. It was very good. Thank you! :D

Glad you liked it!