PDA

View Full Version : People that have or had goldfish in the past please answer this poll.

Flatcoatluver
03-20-2006, 09:33 PM
So for my sophomore project I am doing it on goldfish behavior. So please people that have had goldfish of any breed please, answer this poll and maybe even explain their swimming behaviors. If it’s okay with you I may quote you in my presentation without giving anynames.

chocolatepuppy
03-20-2006, 09:59 PM
I have three goldfish, two comets and a fantail. They're just babies, They're in a ten gallon tank and they swim around all the time. ( I do realize they will need a bigger tank soon. ;) ) Their names are Rainey,Snowy and Chilley. :)

Chilli
03-20-2006, 09:59 PM
My sister received a goldfish as a prize at a fair around seven years ago, and that was before we knew more about fish care. He was kept in a fish bowl, less than two gallons. All he'd really do is stay in the same spot, sometimes swimming a bit every now and then. I'm not exactly for sure what the reason was, but he only lived around 6 months, eventhough he was fed regularly and his bowl was cleaned good on a regular basis. And to my knowledge, goldfish are supposed to live longer. In my opinion, I think the small living space was depressing to him and resulted in a much shorter life than expected.

Hope I was of some help! :)

catnapper
03-20-2006, 10:02 PM
You don't have my option -- 7 or 8 goldfish in a 29 gallon tank and they were happy little swimmers (when Popuncer wasn't poking at them!)

Flatcoatluver
03-20-2006, 10:22 PM
My sister received a goldfish as a prize at a fair around seven years ago, and that was before we knew more about fish care. He was kept in a fish bowl, less than two gallons. All he'd really do is stay in the same spot, sometimes swimming a bit every now and then. I'm not exactly for sure what the reason was, but he only lived around 6 months, eventhough he was fed regularly and his bowl was cleaned good on a regular basis. And to my knowledge, goldfish are supposed to live longer. In my opinion, I think the small living space was depressing to him and resulted in a much shorter life than expected.

Hope I was of some help! :)
thats how I started my fantails and they acted the same way and once i put them in the ten gallons they are very active and eat everything!! My project is does small spaces affect fishes behaviors?? thanks for your info.

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-21-2006, 02:28 AM
When my kids were younger, we had a 2 gallon tank with 3 goldfish. They always were very active. When it was feeding time, I sprinkled some food on the water. It was gone within seconds!!
Now we have a large outdoor pond. We notoced that goldfish grow much larger in a pond!! It is amazing! My daughter won a little goldfish and put it in a small tank first. Two weeks later she moved it to the pond. You should see that fish now: it tripled its size :eek: :) ; We even found that he "made" some "offspring" ;)

jackie
03-21-2006, 02:42 AM
Goldfish sound not be kept in anything in less then a 10 gallon tank. Those little goldfish bowls are cruel and will end up killing the fish, usually within 6 months. The goldfish life span should be more then 10 years.

king2005
03-21-2006, 07:59 AM
Keeping a goldfish in a tank period isn't right. They grow to several feet long & when they are placed in a tiny living space their bodies stop growing (un-natural) & their insides keep trying to grow, until the poor fish's organs crash & dies a slow horrible death!

Gold fish are Large Pond fish, end of story. A Goldfish should live to 10-20 years.

I currently have about 50 feeder goldfish, who have grown to about 3 inches long. The pond they are in is still a good size for them, so they school together & LOVE hanging out in the current. When I feed them, a couple will test the food & then ALL of them will start eatting at once, noisey buggers!

In my pond its survival of the fittest & smartest. Any weak or stupid fish will be eaten by the turtle or by other goldfish (regardless how much I feed the fish). Size means nothing in my pond, I have a nice 4inch fish swimming about & a tiny 1 inch. They have been there for about 3 months & there was over 100 of them.

Flatcoatluver
03-21-2006, 09:26 PM
Bump