PDA

View Full Version : Ahhhh!!!!

Roxyluvsme13
03-20-2006, 03:14 PM
Ok, I really think that I'll be getting a betta :D:D:D:D:D:D!!!
I'm really excited. 5 More days of being responsible and he's mine :). I was wondering what to look for when picking out one to make sure I get a happy healthy betta. I am definitely getting a male, because we have mainly female pets :rolleyes:. So...suggestions, please? :)

lute
03-20-2006, 03:22 PM
i don't know a whole lot about bettas, but i do know to make sure they have clear eyes and their scales are bright and free of any dullness. their fins shouldn't be all jagged and missing. make sure the water is clean. if the water is dirty it could e a sign that there is something wrong with the fish.

GOOD LUCK! :D

Chilli
03-20-2006, 03:27 PM
I didn't really know what to look for when I got Hinge! :o
My sister and I just looked at the ones that were feisty and alert... he was actually a bit spastic, but I chose him anyway... and he seems to still be doing good.
I had no choice but to get a male... its hard to find females around here, since the males are so popular.
Anyway, Good luck!! :D

flamepony12
03-20-2006, 04:59 PM
How'd I know exactly what this thread was going to be about? xP

I'd look for a nice, active one, with healthy-looking colors and preferrably a cute, flarey attitude. ^_~ It'd be best not to get one from a pet store (There are plenty of reputable breeders on www.fishforums.net) but the choice is yours. Just remember, if you DO buy one from a pet store, make sure it isn't unhealthy. Good luck!

Roxyluvsme13
03-20-2006, 05:01 PM
haha, I know! xD. I would get one from a Reputable Breeder, but wouldn't those cost more..? AND Besides there's plenty of poor sad ones at Petsmart :p.

flamepony12
03-20-2006, 05:04 PM
Well, depending on who you get it from and how good of a home you'd be giving it, it's a possibility that all you'd have to pay is shipping, which is around $20. :) But trust me, it's definitely worth it to pay $20 for a really pretty, healthy betta than $2 for the possibility of getting an unhealthy one!

Roxyluvsme13
03-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Well, depending on who you get it from and how good of a home you'd be giving it, it's a possibility that all you'd have to pay is shipping, which is around $20. :) But trust me, it's definitely worth it to pay $20 for a really pretty, healthy betta than $2 for the possibility of getting an unhealthy one!
Well my mom certainly wouldnt pay $20...:rolleyes: and I'm broke..so....I unno...I guess I'll try to find one at Petsmart.

Chilli
03-20-2006, 05:40 PM
I would have loved to buy from a good breeder... but there were none close enough... and I'm really hesitant to get one shipped to me. :o Yes, call me paranoid! :D
So I had two choices. Buy one from Petco, or the petstore in town (where I got Nor and Marley). I chose the one in town, of course (we know all the workers and they take great care of their animals)! Their bettas all looked healthier than Petco's.
Is their a smaller petstore in your town? If so, it might be better to go with them.
Hope you can find a healthy little guy!! :D

Roxyluvsme13
03-20-2006, 05:47 PM
I would have loved to buy from a good breeder... but there were none close enough... and I'm really hesitant to get one shipped to me. :o Yes, call me paranoid! :D
So I had two choices. Buy one from Petco, or the petstore in town (where I got Nor and Marley). I chose the one in town, of course (we know all the workers and they take great care of their animals)! Their bettas all looked healthier than Petco's.
Is their a smaller petstore in your town? If so, it might be better to go with them.
Hope you can find a healthy little guy!! :D
YES, but I hate the petshop. They let their hamsters breed rapidly, and well...I just dont like them. Our Petsmart is much better than it.

jesse_3
03-20-2006, 05:51 PM
Well, I got my betta from a petstore (I was unhappy, but that is the only place my parents would go to get one, so we wouldn't have to make 'an extra run.') He is healthy and happy though!

Good luck, and post pics:D
Steph, Splinter, my betta boy..

chocolatepuppy
03-20-2006, 06:19 PM
I got all 7 of my males from Petsmart. One I've had over 3 years now. I recently got my crown tail from there too. ;) One of my females I got from Walmart, and the other two from Pet Supplies Plus.
They were $2.49 when I started buying them years ago and have went up to $3.49. The crown tail was $5.99. I have had a few that didn't live long, coming from each of these places. If the fish looks healthy, I'd buy it! Good luck! :D

Roxyluvsme13
03-20-2006, 06:29 PM
I wish I could find a purpley Betta or an opaque one at petsmart. How likely would that be? LIKE NONE TO ZERO!!! :p

chocolatepuppy
03-20-2006, 07:10 PM
My Timmy, is purpley! :)

Roxyluvsme13
03-20-2006, 07:16 PM
Really? PICS PLEASE ;)

Chilli
03-20-2006, 08:07 PM
YES, but I hate the petshop. They let their hamsters breed rapidly, and well...I just dont like them. Our Petsmart is much better than it.

Weird... ah well.. I was just suggesting!! :D Our Petco absolutely sucks. Most of their bettas are near death... and you don't even want to go into their reptile section.

Roxyluvsme13
03-20-2006, 08:11 PM
Weird... ah well.. I was just suggesting!! :D Our Petco absolutely sucks. Most of their bettas are near death... and you don't even want to go into their reptile section.
That's terrible...Our Petsmart is pretty good! They do weekly adoptions and every last Saturday of the month Greyhound adoptions! I just looove it there. :D I haven't seen the bettas, but my goldfish from there lived a long time :).

Chilli
03-20-2006, 08:30 PM
That's terrible...Our Petsmart is pretty good! They do weekly adoptions and every last Saturday of the month Greyhound adoptions! I just looove it there. :D I haven't seen the bettas, but my goldfish from there lived a long time :).

The Petco around here does adoptions every saturday (thats how we got Ethan)... but besides that, the fish and reptiles die there. I'm happy with them with the rodents, though. Last time I was there, they changed to a better bedding.
I love our petstore in town. They have an awesome variety of fish (even more than petco). All of their birds are great, not to mention that they have two Amazons there that talk to you. :D And their rodent section is awesome. All of the cages are clean and the cages are not overstocked. They have Degus, Chinchillas, Milk Snakes, Panda Hamsters, and Spiny Mice (those are never seen at our Petco)! Hehe, they even sell Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches! :D
I love that place... I fall in love with a different animal everytime I go.
Sorry... this post is long... I get carried away sometimes! :o

Roxyluvsme13
03-20-2006, 08:46 PM
I'm already in love with a Fish =(. He's $15 + $30 for overnight shipping...I want him so bad...:(

Chilli
03-20-2006, 09:23 PM
I'm already in love with a Fish =(. He's $15 + $30 for overnight shipping...I want him so bad...:(

Ah!! He's so stunning! :eek: Too bad your mum won't let you have him, eh?

Roxyluvsme13
03-21-2006, 02:07 PM
Ah!! He's so stunning! :eek: Too bad your mum won't let you have him, eh?
I know :(. If I had $45 I would be emailing the Breeder right now.

Chilli
03-21-2006, 02:43 PM
I know :(. If I had $45 I would be emailing the Breeder right now.

Yeh... I know how you feel. :( I once had a chance to get this really beautiful ferret, cage and all for a great price from my cousin. Mum wouldn't let me get it, and dad said he wouldn't let me get it unless I had the money.
It taught me a good lesson! :D I saved around $100 to get Norri and his supplies, and I have over $80 now, so I'll have plenty of money for my ratties.
Good luck, again, on finding your perfect betta boy!! :D

Roxyluvsme13
03-21-2006, 02:50 PM
*sigh* Maybe I can at least talk to my mom about him.