PDA

View Full Version : Feral Cat???

Jadapit
03-20-2006, 11:59 AM
I hope this is the right place to post this. I'm sorry if it isn't. We have a neighbor that has let their cats breed, breed and breed some more. We have wild cats running all over. It makes me so angry! Anyway, one of the cats has been hanging around here. He/she is so, so pretty. Real fluffy fur and the cutest orange nose. I have been taking food out to him/her every day. The poor cat runs away when it see me coming.

Is there anyway I can gain the cats trust? What can I do to make he/she trust me? I would love to be able to gain the cats trust and give he/she a loving home. Any advise you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

catnapper
03-20-2006, 12:08 PM
I have no real experience with ferals, but a lot of people here do. I do know that patience, patience, and more patience is needed. They'll come around and often become very loving members of the family!

mruffruff
03-20-2006, 12:52 PM
This is a time consuming process, but can be done if you are very patient.

Judge how close the cat will let you get before running off. Place a dish of wet food on the ground. Sit that distance from the food. Do not move. That means if you have an itch, don't scratch. Look to the side of the cat, not directly at it. And Wait! When the cat moves closer, don't move! Let the cat eat as much as it wants and just don't move! Let the cat leave when it's ready. Talk to the cat in a very calm, low voice.

Do this several days in a row, or even twice a day. Move the dish a little closer to your sitting spot every day. If you allow the cat to come to you, you will have better luck. When the food is within your arm's reach, it's very tempting to try to touch the cat. Don't. Keep moving the food closer until the dish is next to you. If the cat will eat this close to you, put you hand next to the dish when you first sit down. While the cat is eating, very, very slowly try to raise your hand. Move very slowly toward the cat's cheek, not the top of it's head. Once the cat allows you to touch it, you can move your hand to other places, but always slowly.

This can take several weeks if the cat is truly feral and you may not ever succeed. Other cats will respond quickly. A feral will not want to be picked up and attempting to do so can get you some bad scratches.

If you trap the cat, get it spayed/neutered and tested, then keep it in a room, you will increase your chances of taming the cat. But it still takes a lot of time and patience.

I have one feral that I haven't touched in the four years I've had her. A couple more that I've had a year or so will rub against my legs. They all 12 have run of the house but I don't attempt to pick them up.

Good Luck!

Jadapit
03-20-2006, 01:08 PM
Thank you so much for the advise. I think this poor cat is as feral as a cat can get. If it even sees me it runs off as fast as it can. I watch for the cat to come back, sometimes its hours before I see it again. When I feed the poor thing tomorrow I will sit by the food and see what happens. I sure would love to tame he/she. It's a beautiful cat.

Laura's Babies
03-20-2006, 01:34 PM
I would see about getting that Mama fixed, that is a VERY bad neighbor you have that has let this happen. You all will get over run with cats if something isn't done!

Sooner or later someone will end up having to call Animal Control on that neighbor.

Kenley's Cat Lady
03-20-2006, 01:36 PM
I had a neighbor abandon a cat years back, she was missing a hind leg but could she run! She had a kitten (that's how I kew she was female). I would leave them food and go inside, eventually she would meow at the door when she was hungry, I was never able to fully tame her but she knew where to come for food. She would sit on the thresehold of the door and watch us, but that's as close to coming in I could get her. She dissappeared one day and I was never able to find out what happened to her. It sure makes me mad to think how often people do that to cats!

K & L
03-20-2006, 01:44 PM
Feral cats, like house cats, each of their own personalities. Some tame quickly, some with time, and some never. We manage feral colonies and have gained trust with some of ours, but it has taken time. The best way is through food. You need to feed every day in the same place and the same time. Never force the issue but let the cat come on its own. Also try giving it special treats like chicken or tuna. Trapping and getting the cat fixed will help calm it down some. Good luck with this!

catmandu
03-20-2006, 04:54 PM
I have that situation all the time with the Porch Cats,Cats that are either Starry Cats,or neglected House Cats that come to the Hotel to eat,or just to have a new place to sleep.
Just put out the food,and especially clean drinking water,and the Cats will learn to trust you.
Bless you for wanting to help those Poor Cats.
You have A Good Heart.

momcat
03-20-2006, 06:11 PM
While I can't offer much in the way of advice, I can tell you that you certainly came to the right place for the right answers. Thank you so much for caring enough to try and help this poor kitty. Keeping kitty's tummy full is an excellent way to establish your relationship. Please please keep us updated on how things work out. We care and sincerely want to know.

barncat
03-20-2006, 07:14 PM
The advice you are getting is good. Time and patience and consistency. Feed the cat. Be outside and talk quietly without making eye contact to get it used to you. Avoid sudden movements and don't grab at the cat...if you can trap it and move the operation inside that is one thing, but if you are working to tame it first, let it learn you are not a threat. Doing a quiet hobby outside with delicious smelly food nearby is one way of attracting the cat to come close. Cats getting used to each other do not stare... so keep eye contact brief and try to present a low profile.... sit or crouch and let kitty come to you. This process can vary in time depending on the cat. I've tamed ferals that turned into snuggle babies and also had ones that would purr loudly at love-talk but never accepted more that a brief butterfly brush of hand contact. Depends on the personality of the cat. Good luck and keep at it. In my opinion these cats often make the best friends.