PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever had a biopsy...

Queen of Poop
03-20-2006, 08:48 AM
I am scheduled to have a biopsy on the mass in my left breast on Tuesday, March 28th. Has anyone ever had one before? I am very, very scared. :(

moosmom
03-20-2006, 08:52 AM
QOP,

I have had MANY biopsies, as I have Fibrocystic Disease. Most fibroid tumors are benign but they can't tell till they do a biopsy. I am always scared, no matter how many times I've been through it. It's the not knowing that scares me and the possibility that it might be something other than benign, as cancer (not breast cancer) runs in my family.

You'll be in my prayers, honey. ((((((((HUGS)))))))))

sasvermont
03-20-2006, 08:54 AM
If you want to PM me, I will let you know about it. There are all diffent types etc.

Lilith Cherry
03-20-2006, 09:34 AM
I have had two. I remember how scary it was and you have my all my sympathy. Upside is that it doesnt hurt but the waiting is awful. I will be thinking of you ad sending lots of good thoughts foe a negative result.

Cataholic
03-20-2006, 09:36 AM
Not on the milk fountain, but, on another body part! It wasn't so bad.

moosmom
03-20-2006, 09:38 AM
Johanna,

"Milk Fountain"??? ROFLMAO!!! I thought I had names for them, but GEEZ!!

Mine were:

Chest Thermometers
Dairy Balloons

Laura's Babies
03-20-2006, 09:41 AM
I had to have one back in the 80's. Results were good for me and the after surgery pain... well, I was back at work the next day. There was no pain.

I have/had that Fibrocystic Disease also so they watched my breasts very close because of all the lumps and soreness that brings. Year before last I had to go back after my mammogram because there was something questionable there but after ultrasounds and other tests, they just decided to watch it... It didn't even show up on last years.

sirrahbed
03-20-2006, 11:55 AM
Yes, I have. I had one lumpectomy, one simple needle aspiration and the latest - a "stereotactic needle biopsy" - like Sallyanne said, there are diferent types of biopsies.

The procedures were not bad at all - the waiting for results is scary though. For the biopsies, I was awake but numbed up. The last time I was given a Valium tablet to relax.

(((HUGS))) to you.

Queen of Poop
03-20-2006, 12:43 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments. They've been especially comforting. I phoned the place and talked with a technician and got the low down on what they will do.

I lay tummy down on a massage type table, that has a hole in it, strategically placed of course. They raise me up (like a car on a hoist for an oil change!!) and work on me from underneath. They freeze me, needle me and then it's done. Hubby will have to drive me home and I won't be able to lift with my left arm for a couple of days.

Not so bad, from the sounds of it. Except I don't take freezing well. I warned her of this and she said they would ensure I felt nothing.

So the fear of the procedure is somewhat lessened, but the results...that's another story.

RedHedd
03-20-2006, 02:53 PM
I've had many - needle and surgical. I'm a breast cancer survivor having had a mastectomy in 1998.

sirrahbed
03-20-2006, 03:56 PM
I lay tummy down on a massage type table, that has a hole in it, strategically placed of course. They raise me up (like a car on a hoist for an oil change!!) and work on me from underneath.

Yup, same here. When they put you on the table - be sure to wiggle around so that you are good and comfy since you will be holding very still for the procedure. The technician told me this and I made good and sure I was comfy - head, arms, chest, etc. I thought the table was pretty funny :p

Queen of Poop
03-20-2006, 05:02 PM
Yup, same here. When they put you on the table - be sure to wiggle around so that you are good and comfy since you will be holding very still for the procedure. The technician told me this and I made good and sure I was comfy - head, arms, chest, etc. I thought the table was pretty funny :p

I can just picture this table. It is now almost more interesting than scary. The procedure that is, not the results.

RedHedd
03-20-2006, 11:03 PM
Oh, yeah. Been there, done that. With all I've been through that one was the strangest. That table is like something out of a science fiction movie.

The "freezing" isn't cold; it's just an anesthetic that numbs you so you don't feel the needle (much). It's over so quick you won't know what hit you. You will be sore for about a day. Just keep ice packs on it (frozen peas work well).

Queen of Poop
03-21-2006, 08:22 AM
Oh, yeah. Been there, done that. With all I've been through that one was the strangest. That table is like something out of a science fiction movie.

The "freezing" isn't cold; it's just an anesthetic that numbs you so you don't feel the needle (much). It's over so quick you won't know what hit you. You will be sore for about a day. Just keep ice packs on it (frozen peas work well).

I'll put frozen peas on my next grocery list for sure.

ramanth
03-21-2006, 08:44 AM
*HUGS*

I've had two. I had a cyst on my left foot on/near the bunyon I had. I had foot surgery to correct the bunyon and they biopsied the cyst. It was benign.

When I had my laproscopic procedure done, they biopsied the tissue inside me and that's how I was diagnosed with Endo.

It's okay to be scared. I sure was! I hope all goes your way.

Catsnclay
03-21-2006, 01:40 PM
I've had a couple too, and it is just like what everyone has said.

The worst part is waiting........waiting to take the test, then waiting for the results.

The test itself is done and over with before you know it. It takes more time for them to prep you then it does for the actual test!

Apparently there are a lot of us on this board, so you are in good company! Try not to worry so much......... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I know, better said than done! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Queen of Poop
03-21-2006, 01:57 PM
I had a better sleep last night after everyones reassurances and talking to the technician. Still, the waiting for the test, only one week away now, is difficult. More difficult yet will be waiting for the results. I figure 2 more weeks of upset in our lives. Then we will know.

RedHedd
03-21-2006, 04:08 PM
I'll put frozen peas on my next grocery list for sure.
One important thing I found out the hard way, put the bag of peas into a Ziploc or something secure. My cats were playing with little green things on the floor for weeks afterward :rolleyes: :D

Jods
03-21-2006, 11:34 PM
I have had 2 one while breastfeeding :( milk leaked outta the hole for days but its not sooo bad PM me if you have any questions. THe 1st one I had to have the lump in my breast removed this time I didn't YAY! Good luck

Queen of Poop
03-22-2006, 08:30 AM
Today's not started off well for me. I'm in one of those down cycles that seem to be more prevalent the longer this drags on. Tears could come real easy this morning, but can't do that at work. I truly do appreciate all of your comments and support. I'm going to see my counsellor tomorrow so perhaps she can help me deal with the wide range of emotions that are coming my way.

jackie
03-22-2006, 09:02 AM
I have no experience with this sort of thing, nut I am sure everything will be fine.

Good vibes are coming your way!