PDA

View Full Version : Small Pet food

MHMama
07-31-2001, 07:51 PM
Ricky doesn't have a big choice on dog food. He doesn't like Eukanuba which would be perfect since it is his size. I have tried a few different brands for quote unquote "small breeds" and the morsels were too big for him. How do I get him to like the Eukanuba or is there something else out there just as good for him? :confused: His Vet says he is just spoiled and he may be right but how do you not spoiled these angels?

shais_mom
07-31-2001, 10:38 PM
Hello!!
Shaianne is very picky, I have finally found Holistic food from Royal Canin. But have you tried the new "gravies" There is some in www.drsfostersmith.com (http://www.drsfostersmith.com) or I bought some at Meijer called VitaGravy. Or try beef or chicken broth, I pour a small amout (1/4 c ) over dry food. Or Jessica (3 greys and a mutt) suggested using plain nonfat yogurt to decrease gassiness, maybe try that. At first Shai wasn't sure about it, now she doesn't mind it. Or how about mixing a 1T of canned food in with it, Shai gets canned food mixed with dry food, yogurt, and her supplement.

Logan
08-01-2001, 08:49 AM
I don't know how small "small" is for you. But I know Iams has a small bite sized food that is reasonably priced (though maybe not as high a quality as the Eukanuba). I use Flint River Ranch (which has to be shipped) and it is in "broken" pieces, not uniform, and they are pretty small too, but i don't know if they're small enough for Ricky! Another good brand is BilJac and you can buy it at PetsMart. The pieces are very small.

If you so some searching on the internet, you can get free samples of some of these foods too. My Flint River Ranch comes from www.f-r-r.com (http://www.f-r-r.com) . BilJac's website offers a free sample ( www.biljac.com (http://www.biljac.com) ). When I ordered a sample, they sent me a $5 coupon. Pretty good, huh?

I thought I had a link to a site that discussed the 10 top Super Premium Dog Foods, but I can't find it now! Sorry! They had websites mentioned there.

Good luck in your decision. Hope this helps, and if it doesn't, take the one he likes and knock it with a hammer a couple of times! :D

[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: Logan ]

Snowy's Mommy
08-01-2001, 09:03 AM
Snowy eats IAMS doggy food and the pieces are very small--bite size--Snowy is a Cairn--they are the perfect size for samll dogs, I think...you can get it at PetSmart and it's reasonably priced.

jackiesdaisy1935
08-01-2001, 01:05 PM
Daisy is a mini Schnauzer and is picky in what she eats, I finally got her something she likes at Petsmart, its canned lamb and rice and it's made by Natures recipe. She has a quarter can in the morning and in the afternoon she has dry lamb and rice.
Give that sweet Ricky a hug from Daisy and Perry.

ilovehounds
08-01-2001, 06:40 PM
My moms Chihuahua is the same way, she won't eat dog food and there isn't much choice out there small enough. I say she is just spoiled but hey theres nothing wrong with that :D

She kinda likes pedigree small bites, very small kibbles round and bone shaped, and she loves puppy food (ask your vet if its okey for him to have puppy food, ours said due to her small size it was alright but to mix it with adult food) and she likes caned food aswell. I don't like canned food because the hard food helps keep thier teeth clean but that is up to you, if Ricky likes to chew bones I think his teeth would be alright. My mom whent around to the pet supply store and got those little trial bags to see if she liked any of those, go to your pet supply store and they would be glade to give you some to try.