PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP - Opinions, advice, help really needed

Miss Z
03-19-2006, 12:18 PM
Very long story, but please help me out if you can....

I've been horse-riding today and I was riding a horse whom I have ridden for many years, but today, just as I was about to canter, he suddenly went into a huge buck followed by many others, and I fell off.

Last week, I was riding the same horse, and he bucked that time also, although I managed to hang on.

I have known this horse for about five years, and he is not a thoroughbred or any other fiery horse, he's a cob. He is not young, he's in his twenties. And all the time I've known him, he's been the sweetest and most safe horse I've ever known. But now, I'm really worried.

This horse has got a new saddle. Well actually, he's had it for a couple of months, but I have not ridden him for a while, so it's new to me. For some reason, this saddle is a dressage saddle, this means that it is a longer saddle which makes it easier to sit deep into and has girth straps which are lower than the saddle flap. He also has a special foam pad which goes between his numnah and his saddle, as he is old he has the beginnings of a sway back so he needs this pad to keep the saddle in place.

Before I led him out of his stable, today, I noticed that the foam pad looked too far back, and the saddle just looked.....odd on him. I don't really know why, but it didn't look right. I asked the instructor if it was OK, but he said it was fine. About half and hour into the lesson, the horse bucks. I sat the first one out, but the second one made me lose my stirrups and I tumbled to the floor and landed flat on my back.

I was really surprised. It's very unlike this horse to do anything like that, this horse helped me to regain my confidence after a nasty fall, and I remember a time when other horses on the lesson spooked, but he simply stopped and watched them career off. I got back on him, and he continued to move with his ears back the whole lesson.

I doubt it's my riding. I've been riding for 10 years now and I've learnt how to control a few spooky geldings and moody mares in my time. There was nothing around in the arena that might have spooked him. Coming home from that lesson, the cause of this bucking suddenly dawned on me.

The saddle. I've heard of horses bucking when their saddle doesn't fit properly, as it puts pressure on the wrong part of their back and bucking helps to relieve the pressure, albeit momentarily. They can be dangerous too, as the horse's spine could become deformed. So I'm really worried.

I now I begin to think about it, there are many signs that this horse is trying to show me. If you go into his stable to tighten his girth, he puts his ears back and throws his head in the air. When I tried to mount him, he walks backwards as if trying to get away from you. And if you try to put your hand down to check the girth, then he'll have a go at biting your hand.

He never used to do this, he's always been calm and sensible. I've been really upset thinking about him if he is indeed in pain. When I untacked him after the lesson and lifted his saddle off, he gave a great sigh as if to say "thank god that thing's off me." I checked his back, but he doesn't seem to have any obvious sores.

My riding school is not a bad one. It's BHS approved, always clean and tidy, and the horses always look well fed and healthy.

I have to do something about this, but what? The obvious thing would just be to tell one of the people who work there, but then I stopped and thought. If my riding instructor said it was fine, then who's going to believe me? I've tried to point out stuff before, a while ago I tried to tell a girl who had a pony at livery there that her pony was lame, but I got a 'WTF would you know? I don't see you with you own pony' type of reaction. But I have to do something, please help. ANY ideas would be great.

I would write more, but my neck and back is killing from the fall and I feel a bit light headed. Please help.

Killearn Kitties
03-19-2006, 12:31 PM
I think all you can do is tell someone at the riding school what you have told us. You have obviously been doing a lot of thinking about things since you had the fall and I think you should say what you think the problem is. I don't immediately see what more you can do, but I will give it some thought.

I'm sorry you are so sore. I hope that goes away soon.

Alysser
03-19-2006, 12:37 PM
I've had the same problem with a mare named Jasmine. She was blind in one eye and I was assigned to ride her. I agree with Killearn. Tell your instructor immediatly. Maybe the horse is just stressed out? Maybe it's the saddle? I highly doubt it's your riding.

Miss Z
03-19-2006, 01:57 PM
Thanks. My neck is still sore, but my mum gave me some special stuff to rub on it so it's not so bad now. I found an old horse magazine on bucking horses. I thought that maybe I should go and watch someone else ride the horse sometime in the week to see what the horse does, if I can get my parents to take me.

I'm so worried about this horse, he is my favourite and know that it's so unlike him. The more I think about it, the more I'm sure it's the saddle.

Suki Wingy
03-19-2006, 03:29 PM
it really DOES seem like the saddle. Maybe you can present it to someone and ask them to explain why it's NOT the saddle, them they might see that is really is.

buttercup132
03-19-2006, 04:05 PM
That happened to me with Trigger when I bought him a new saddle the trea (tree) was too small for him and it really bothers them. He bucked me off and took off galloping and that was not at all like him! So I changed the saddle and now hes fine. Although he gives tiny bucks cause he's a brat it's not cause his saddle. Also if there blanket makes there hair stand up it also bothers them so make sure there hair is flat when you put the saddle blanket on and if you need to move it , I know its a pain but you will have to take the whole saddle off or it can cause discomfort causing the horse to buck. I'm glad your not severly injured. Talk to the owners of the stable and maybe a couple stable hands. But I'm like positive that, that is what it is. From the sounds of it anyways.
EDIT: Also from what I went through at my ridding stabel( a very supposidly good one but they are cruel to their horses) the people that teach lessons don't know much about the saddlery and other equipment, all they know is how to teach you.

flamepony12
03-19-2006, 04:42 PM
Check the tree size of the saddle, and ask your instructor or any knowledgable horseperson at your barn what tree size the horse SHOULD be using. If it's the wrong tree size for the horse... problem solved. He needs a different saddle.

You might also request to not ride in the dressage saddle? Is there another saddle you may be able to use? If so, I'd try the horse in a saddle that you're sure fits him. If the second saddle you try fits him and he STILL bucks, I'd take a look at his back. It may be sore.

HollandLoppy89
03-19-2006, 07:35 PM
P.J. used to buck off anyone who rode him because of his saddle. He used to be abused, so his back is a little different than a normal horses. :( But he's my boy, and he's awesome. Since I've changed his saddle he's been the best horse I've ever ridden. Try that and see if it helps!

Miss Z
03-20-2006, 01:13 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies:)

You might also request to not ride in the dressage saddle? Is there another saddle you may be able to use? If so, I'd try the horse in a saddle that you're sure fits him. If the second saddle you try fits him and he STILL bucks, I'd take a look at his back. It may be sore.

Unfortunately I can't. They seem to have got rid of his general purpose saddle. I don't know what size it was as I never thought of checking. His back doesn't appear to be sore, but next week I'll try applying a little pressure with my hand to different parts of his back to see how he reacts.

So I changed the saddle and now hes fine. Although he gives tiny bucks cause he's a brat it's not cause his saddle.

LOL! A New Forest mix pony I ride does that, bucking and rearing to attempt to scare me. Silly little guy:p

Since I've changed his saddle he's been the best horse I've ever ridden. Try that and see if it helps!

I definitely would if I could. But I couldn't just go out and get him a saddle as he's not mine. The riding school would not accept it.

Maybe the horse is just stressed out?

I've been thinking about that. He's just a cob, so he doesn't have a highly-strung temperament or anything. But there's other things that can worry horses. I'll have to think more on that one.

it really DOES seem like the saddle. Maybe you can present it to someone and ask them to explain why it's NOT the saddle, them they might see that is really is.

That is a good idea. I think next week I'll go for the subtle hint way. For example, I'd take the horse into the arena then say to my instructor:

"Do you know why Dennis has been bucking so much recently? I wonder why, it's not like him at all, is it? I mean, I don't think it's winter fizziness as he's only bucking, so what do you think?" Then my instructor will say something, from which I will suggest that it's the saddle, and then use your idea, Eva. Thanks for that:)

Tralee
03-20-2006, 02:09 PM
I would try taking your thumb and index finger and push along the spine starting at the withers. If the horse shows any discomfert that means they are sore there.
Couls the saddle be too far foward or as you ride it moves forward?
I would also try putting the saddle on his back with just the riser pad and no girth or saddle pad. Put pressue on the cantle, if it is fit properly the saddle should not move very much, if it does mave alot then the saddle doesn't fit him properly.
You mentioned that he is 20 years old, he might have a sore back and need some chiropractic work or acupunture!
Good luck I love Cobs, I rode a 22 year old cobs for two years and won year end award for highest score on a horse over 20

Miss Z
03-20-2006, 02:33 PM
Couls the saddle be too far foward or as you ride it moves forward?

No, I never felt it move. But his girth was done up tight.

Put pressue on the cantle, if it is fit properly the saddle should not move very much, if it does mave alot then the saddle doesn't fit him properly.
You mentioned that he is 20 years old, he might have a sore back and need some chiropractic work or acupunture!

Yes, I will try pushing the cantle. Thing is, dressage saddles don't move that much as they're long and straight, but I'll try. I'll take the foam pad out when I do that, as the foam pad might stop the signs of it moving.

I doubt I could convince my riding school that he might need acupuncture, I think I'll have a tough job convincing them to get him a new saddle. But thanks. If only he was my horse!!!!! I'd have him sorted right away.

Tralee
03-20-2006, 09:45 PM
I ride in a Passier Nicole dressage saddle. ;)

luvofallhorses
03-20-2006, 09:47 PM
I agree with Suki Wingy and btw you should go to a doctor.

Miss Z
03-21-2006, 12:36 PM
I agree with Suki Wingy and btw you should go to a doctor.

Nah, I'm alright now, but thanks for your concern. I'm still stiff but nothing I can't handle;) I'm more worried about the horse!:rolleyes: