PDA

View Full Version : Gardening Hazards

Albea
04-23-2002, 11:55 AM
From the Spring issue of "Golden Times," the quarterly of Yankee Golden Retriever Rescue:

"Gardening can be a hazardous occupation for dogs-in more ways than one.Dogs with a digging fetish are likely to dig up plants and play with them or chew on them.Many plants are toxic to pets,and some are so potent as to be fatal if ingested (hyacinths and tulip bulbs,for example).
Ingestion of bird droppings can cause seizures,coma or death, especially if consumed in a water base (such as a bird bath).
Don't overlook the compost heap. Adequately contain the material so the dog cannot get plant trimmings or kitchen leftovers.
Cocoa mulch...contains theobromine, the same toxic to dogs chemical which is in chocolate.Cocoa mulch smells like chocolate and will attrack your dog.Don't take chances--use a different kind of mulch."
HAVE A HAPPY AND SAFE GARDENING SEASON!

ramanth
04-23-2002, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the info! Mom might garden this year. :)

sabies
04-23-2002, 12:28 PM
thanks for the info :) One of these years I'll carry thru on my gardening plans and I'll make sure to be dog safe.

jennifert
04-23-2002, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the info! This weekend I have to head to the home store to pick up some materials for the front yard. (We have no grass there but we're going to try to grow some this year) I'll be sure to ask for some "pet-safe" materials now! I honestly didn't even think about it before....:o