PDA

View Full Version : What kind of dog treats do you buy?

4theloveofzoe
03-18-2006, 06:45 PM
I'm just searching for opinions on the best dog treats...

And what about chew toys/bones/ etc?

I bought Zoe one of those huge bones, and she stuck her nose up at it. :rolleyes: LOL!

lute
03-18-2006, 06:47 PM
ALL the dogs that come through my home LOVE Pupcorn. Gracie and Beanie like Greenies.

CathyBogart
03-18-2006, 06:48 PM
*chuckles* I try to buy moist treats for my two, but Trader Joe's has some small hard dry treats that they both go ballistic for! I don't know what it is, but they're inexpensive, and the dogs (and the cat! 0-o) love them.

Kfamr
03-18-2006, 06:53 PM
Uhh.. all of the above! Gosh, I can't even begin the name all of the threats my 3 have.

Dried chicken strips & milkbones are purchased most often.

They only get Greenies and other chews on occassion because they need to be 100% supervised when given.

K9soul
03-18-2006, 06:56 PM
I use chopped up hotdogs or cheese for training treats, keep them in a baggy in the fridge and the dogs go nuts for either one :D. Now that I have to give my boy Tommy pills twice a day they are even more handy to slip the pill into, gobbles it right down ;).

For a biscuit type treat mine love Old Mother Hubbard biscuits, especially the P-nuttier flavor :). For chews mine love butcher shop bones and bully sticks!

4theloveofzoe
03-18-2006, 07:23 PM
THanks. :)

k9krazee
03-18-2006, 07:24 PM
I also have cut up hotdogs in the fridge! They are a special treat for Jack when he goes to agility class.

We have a HUGE bin of milkbones, they are a favorite around here!

Giselle
03-18-2006, 07:25 PM
If you're looking into training treats, there is nothing more appetizing than fresh, real meat itself. I have not met a single dog who will not attempt to stand on their heads for a bit of plain boiled chicken. When it comes to treats, nothing beats real meat. We boil soup alot, so we are often left over with pounds of boiled chicken that nobody wants to eat. I shred all that meat up and use the itty bitty shreds as training treats. If your butcher also has a lot of chicken gizzards, livers, etc. that he doesn't need, you can bargain with him and buy yourself a lifetime's supply of treats ;) Just bake or boil the gizzards, livers, hearts, etc. and sprinkle a bit of garlic powder on them. Voila! Dog treats to die for without the unnecessary additives, wheat, flour, and artificial preservatives. Zoe will thank you!

Edited to add: Save these special treats for training time. For regular "just because" treats, we bake our own biscuits.

http://www.geocities.com/heartland/ranch/1011/dog.htm

*LabLoverKEB*
03-18-2006, 08:28 PM
I get Sadie milkbones, the Grreat Choice dog biscuits from PetSmart, and just regular rawhide in bulk from costco. ;)

dab_20
03-18-2006, 09:07 PM
The pups used to get greenies... but now they don't get anything except porkchop bones every once in awhile because they get in really bad fights. When I train them then I do give them half a milkbone or some other small treat.

luvofallhorses
03-18-2006, 10:47 PM
they get pig ears once in awhile they freakin' LOVE those!! they love scooby snacks, beggin' strips, and rawhides. they get dog biscuits every night. :) such spoiled babies! :p

Flatcoatluver
03-18-2006, 11:15 PM
For training Zoey in agility I use hot dogs, cheese sticks, and those rolls that you can buy at petmart to cut up the exact size you want.

For rewarding like after the go to the bathroom I just give them milkbones.

K9karen
03-18-2006, 11:37 PM
Me too! I always trained Cody with hot dogs and cheese. And Ah! His doggy kingdom was mine! :D He had all kinds of treats and a supervised rawhide bone each night. Mz. Logan is not food orientated but does like a plain "lite" dog cookie after outies. She also has a rawhide every night and of course a wee bit of Rice Krispies (Rrr Rrrs! :D ) as a bedtime snack. Her favorite thing is butt rubs, neck hugs and kisses!

Suki Wingy
03-19-2006, 12:32 AM
um, a LOT.
I give him pig femurs, flavored rawhides, greenies (watch him while he has these) and his favorite foods are liver training treats, brands Authority, Bil-Jac, and AKC. He's also really weird: he LOVES Soy and Tofu in any kind, noodles, and rabbit treats.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
03-19-2006, 12:46 AM
I buy Bailey Bully Sticks, any natural biscuits and raw bones. I'm sure I'll be buying tons of different treats, but for now, that is what he's getting.

Pembroke_Corgi
03-19-2006, 08:31 AM
Marta's favorite dog treat is carob drops, Adele likes the peanut butter drops (of course they will both eat anything). For bones I give them real bones that you find in a pet store. I don't give them rawhide because Marta usually gets sick, and I don't want to risk them swallowing big chunks and hurting themselves.

Edited to add: Also for chewing I get them big, tightly woven rope toys. They destroy stuffed toys and plastic ones too so these are good for playing and chewing I think- for one thing they take a long time to destroy! :)

Roxyluvsme13
03-19-2006, 11:25 AM
Oh wow...
Let's see....
Roxy
-loves Beggin Strips
-Basted bones
-Rawhide
-She eats ANYTHING!
Lily
-these things called Nummies from Petsmart are her favorite (they're a bit like Pupcorn)
-Chewy sticks (the soft meaty ones)
-Rawhide sticks(She could chew them for hours!
-She goes berserk over Cheese, too!

Sophist
03-19-2006, 01:48 PM
My boy gets Beggin' Strips for training treats. He responds to the scent more than anything else, and since he's a little guy I usually tear the strips up so 1 or 2 last the whole session. He also is a big fan of tiny cheese cubes, but other than that he responds with a lot more enthusiasm to toys than he does to snacks (which is odd for a beagle).

IRescue452
03-19-2006, 08:53 PM
The name evades me but Autumn has been getting some hip and joint formula treats lately. I buy a variety of treats. I like the pet life lollipup treats (the little circle biscuits) they are a good size so she can have a few and not get fat.

binka_nugget
03-19-2006, 09:17 PM
I like to make my own dog treats when I have the time, which isn't all that often. For training treats, I usually use little pieces of Rollover. It's cheap, easy to find and lasts forever! For chews, they get either bully sticks or raw bones. They both seem to prefer raw bones over the bully sticks though.

Glacier
03-19-2006, 09:28 PM
. For training treats, I usually use little pieces of Rollover. It's cheap, easy to find and lasts forever! .

Rollover is also great for hiding pills in. I use it every day to get Earle, Goldie and Preacher to take their pills.

Kenley's Cat Lady
03-19-2006, 09:39 PM
Russo will eat most anything (the Lab in him I guess) but he really likes Greenies. I also buy him vitabones or give him raw carrots, apples,and for some reason he really likes cantalope.When I'm feeling really ambitious I will make bisquits, he likes the ones with garlic in them.

Tollers-n-Dobes
03-20-2006, 12:59 AM
For training treats, we also use Roll-Over or cheese. As far as snacks go, we get a mixture of biscuits in bulk from a pet store but that's only because Winston has to eat a cookie in the afternoon or else he throws up. Before, we got him they usually got pieces of apple or baby carrots instead of cookies. Now they get both. For chews, they get only get raw bones.

pitc9
03-20-2006, 09:15 AM
Buddy sticks his nose up at most treats! For a dog that was found starving living in the woods, he's a picky eater! :rolleyes:
He'll only eat a few things; Puperoini and Snausages are the only moist treats he'll eat and he'll also eat Milkbones, bully sticks and pigs ears.
Sierra, ugh... she'll eat anything you put in front of her face!
I always buy a HUGE box of Milkbones, I get the small multi flavored ones. They love it when I make peanut butter sandwiches out of them!

Zipsmybaby
03-20-2006, 10:54 AM
Since my boxer loves her treats and expects one each time she goes out and is used to getting one on the arm of her chair when I leave, I use the Iams weight control biscuits. She also loves to get her special bits of cheese and peanut butter.

Irescue452, if you recall the name of the hip and joint treat I would be most interested in finding out more about those. ty

wolfsoul
03-20-2006, 02:11 PM
I give Visa moist treats because they are easy to cut up for clicker training and agility and whatnot. She doesn't really like hard treats anyways. I try to keep to healthy treats.

Oh, and for chews, she gets raw bones, bully sticks, Greenies, Freshies, etc.

RobiLee
03-20-2006, 07:41 PM
My girls eat about any kind of treat and I always buy a variety. They get bored with a certain one after awhile so I always have to mix them up. Right now they have some Bil-Jack biscuits and some Bonz. They love rawhide bones to chew on for awhile. Chew-eez, pigs ears, bully sticks, cow hooves and things like that. Oh and they love Greenies!

IRescue452
03-20-2006, 08:56 PM
It came to me, actually I looked it up and recognized the package. Its Nutri-vet lamb and rice biscuits with glucosamine and ester-c. I don't know how much glucosamine they need to have to help at all but its better than none if anything. http://www.vetamerica.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2670

lisahumphreys882
03-25-2006, 11:16 PM
If you're looking into training treats, there is nothing more appetizing than fresh, real meat itself. I have not met a single dog who will not attempt to stand on their heads for a bit of plain boiled chicken. When it comes to treats, nothing beats real meat. We boil soup alot, so we are often left over with pounds of boiled chicken that nobody wants to eat. I shred all that meat up and use the itty bitty shreds as training treats. If your butcher also has a lot of chicken gizzards, livers, etc. that he doesn't need, you can bargain with him and buy yourself a lifetime's supply of treats ;) Just bake or boil the gizzards, livers, hearts, etc. and sprinkle a bit of garlic powder on them. Voila! Dog treats to die for without the unnecessary additives, wheat, flour, and artificial preservatives. Zoe will thank you!

Edited to add: Save these special treats for training time. For regular "just because" treats, we bake our own biscuits.

http://www.geocities.com/heartland/ranch/1011/dog.htm

My dog absolutly loves real meat, we gave him little tiny pieces of steak and he loved those. We also get him bones from a meat shop...they have special bones with real meat on them for dogs. And he has all the other regulars, milk bones, etc. *But always make sure to supervise as the others have already mentioned, especially with raw hide*