PDA

View Full Version : I feel horrible :(

animal_rescue
03-18-2006, 01:47 PM
We may consider rehoming Paulie. He's doing horrible! He was fine when we just had Gordo and Keeley but now that we have Gordo, Rizzo, Kenickie, and Sunny. He has started lashing out at people. He bites every chance he gets and won't mess with us anymore. He's even started plucking. I'm so worried for him and would feel better if he were an only bird in an experienced bird home. Someone that can help him. He hates the whole family now, even my dad, and he's a major daddy's boy! Ugh can someone help? I let him out of his cage today and he won't step up, he keeps running from me and he'll attack me every time I take his food bowls out change them. I'm hoping some experienced bird people will see this and tell me what to do. We don't want to rehome him but we're extremely worried about his plucking. We are sure it's the other birds, so it's rehome him or rehome all the other birds. We aren't doing it because he bites, Gordo bites we deal, we just want to do it because we don't know how to handle this, he needs experienced help. We talked to our vet and they reccomended a woman that would take him but she couldn't. I'm going to e-mail around to bird rescues and see what we should do and how we can help him.

moosmom
03-18-2006, 01:58 PM
Animal_Rescue,

I don't have alot of experience with birds, but I did have a Blue Front Amazon and plucking is a sign of stress. You're probably right that Paulie might be better off as an only bird.

Good luck finding a home for him. Please keep us posted.

lute
03-18-2006, 03:02 PM
Poor Paulie! :( do you have Paulie in the same room with the other birds? if you do i'd move him into a room all his own. they make bitter apple sprays for birds that pluck their feathers. maybe that will keep his self mutilation at bay until you can figure something out. GOOD LUCK!