PDA

View Full Version : I am in a TOTAL state of shock right now...

moosmom
03-17-2006, 04:23 PM
God is now kicking me when I'm down. :(

The first week of my new job was kinda crazy. Most of the time I sat there watching and taking notes from the woman whose place I'd be taking. I told her I wanted to learn the job as well as she does. I also told her that I'd like to get some "hands on" in before she goes to her new position.

We went to a staff meeting, and I kept referring to next week, blah, blah, blah and there was NO inkling whatsoever that there was anything wrong.

I thought the week went fairly well, although I didn't learn as much as I would've liked to. I asked Maureen if she could sit with me next Monday when I ran some of the reports and her remark was, "You'll be on your own then cuz I'm going over to my new job." I thought, "Okay, I can do this." I was actually feeling great about the job.

4:00 o'clock comes and I tell Maureen and my boss to have a nice weekend, and went home.

My phone rings at approximately 4:30. I noticed the paper's phone number on my caller ID. It was Maureen. I asked her jokingly, "Okay, what'd I do wrong." She said "We're going to let you go. We don't think you're the right person for the job. They needed someone who could learn the job quickly and I guess didn't learn it fast enough. She said, "This is a "multi-tasking" position that is fast paced, and we don't feel that you are the right person for it."

"You're kidding me, right???" I said. Nope. She said, "I'm very sorry. Goodbye." She hung up.

:eek: :eek:

The impression I got when I first started was that she believes that NO ONE can do as good a job as she can. She told me she wanted to make sure that Andy got the right person in her place.

What a cheesy way to fire someone!!! Over the phone with absolutely NO indication that there was anything wrong while I was trying to learn!!!

I don't know whether to be mad, cry or both!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

caseysmom
03-17-2006, 04:26 PM
That is downright rude. I am really sorry.

Jadapit
03-17-2006, 04:27 PM
I agree, rude and uncalled for!! I'm really sorry you are being tested lately arent you? :(

moosmom
03-17-2006, 04:29 PM
Jadapit,

It seems that way, doesn't it??

Muddy4paws
03-17-2006, 04:30 PM
Sorry about you losing the job, That really is just a heartless cruel way of telling someone. Its understandable being mad at them I would be too, there is no need for people to be that rude about serious things like that!

finn's mom
03-17-2006, 04:31 PM
Wow, how awful! That's such a letdown, I've been let go of that way, too. :( I'm so sorry! But, when one door closes, another one opens. Sorry for the cliche, and, I know the bottom feels like it's falling out beneath you. But, you'll make it through this, and, you'll be stronger and smarter for it. Keep your chin up, you deserve better than that, and, they certainly do not deserve you.

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-17-2006, 04:35 PM
How heartless and rotten :mad: :mad: . This is absolutely a mean and cowardy way to fire you!! :mad:

I am so sorry......

lvpets2002
:o Well what a Cow-ward person she is that she cant do it in person.. Donna please dont cry & everything will be better.. Always remember when or where a door closes another Better One Opens.. My boss here where I work is real bad about she can only do everything right & fast && then wonders why no one ever wants to work for her LOL LOL.. Hey cheer up & ****** HAPPY ST. PATTY'S DAY ******
(((((((( HUGGSSS ))))))))

Uabassoon
I'm sending you lots of hugs. You're such a strong person and I know you will get through this.

lizbud
03-17-2006, 04:45 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Donna. :(
My sister sent me something a few days ago. I think it fits this occasion.

IS YOUR HUT ON FIRE?

The only survivor of a shipwreck was washed up on a small, uninhabited
island. He prayed feverishly for God to rescue him, and every
day he scanned the horizon for help, but none seemed forthcoming.

Exhausted, he eventually managed to build a little hut out of
driftwood to protect him from the elements, and to store his few possessions.

One day, after scavenging for food, he arrived home to find his
little hut in flames, and soon there was nothing left. The worst
had happened, and everything was lost. He was stunned with disbelief,
grief, and anger. "God, how could you do this to me?" he cried.

Early the next day he was awakened by the sound of a ship
approaching the island. It had come to rescue him. "How did you know
I was here?"Asked the weary man of his rescuers. "We saw your smoke signal,"they replied.

It's easy to get discouraged when things are going bad, but we
shouldn't lose heart, because God is at work in our lives, even in the midst of
pain,and suffering.

Remember this the next time your hut seems to be burning to the
ground.It just may be a smoke signal that summons the grace of God.

You May Want To Consider Passing This On, because "You Never
Know Who Feels Like Their Hut Is On Fire Today

Pawsitive Thinking
03-17-2006, 04:45 PM
If that's how she treats people you're better off out of it! I hope things get better for you very soon

Craftlady
03-17-2006, 04:56 PM
That women is a piece of work.
I'd send a letter to the owner/editor of newspaper telling him/her what happened and this is how the newspaper/employees are treating people who work there at the paper.

moosmom
03-17-2006, 05:15 PM
Craftlady,

It wouldn't do any good because they explicitly told me that the paper could let me go at anytime during my 90 day probation period or I could leave at anytime.

Lizbud,

Thanks. I really like that and have printed it out.

Doors??? I'm tired of doors getting slammed in my face!! :(

This REALLY sucks!!!! I feel an anxiety attack coming on again. :(

kuhio98
03-17-2006, 05:20 PM
Well Donna ~ I don't know for sure (and I don't have a crystal ball) but here's my take. This has nothing to do with your performance. She had someone else in mind for the position before you got there. They weren't available or her choice was vetoed. Now that person is available (or she twisted some arms) so they are in.

I would call her supervisor and request an exit interview. Tell them how much you enjoyed it and would like their feedback. A few months from now, your phone will ring. The person or persons they have put in that job will not have worked out because of this lady's "twisted" attitude. They will remember how professional you were call you up.

Even if they don't grant you an exit interview. Follow up with a letter to that lady's boss and thank them for the opportunity. Say, that you enjoyed working for them and are disappointed that you weren't the right fit.

Then go on with your life. Be positive. Who knows what the next exciting opportunity will be?

lizbud
03-17-2006, 05:23 PM
Donna,
I edited my post to add the title. I do hope it helps some. I know
it does me. Hang in there. :)

Jadapit
03-17-2006, 05:28 PM
Craftlady,

It wouldn't do any good because they explicitly told me that the paper could let me go at anytime during my 90 day probation period or I could leave at anytime.

Lizbud,

Thanks. I really like that and have printed it out.

Doors??? I'm tired of doors getting slammed in my face!! :(

This REALLY sucks!!!! I feel an anxiety attack coming on again. :(

*Breathe* If it were me, I would be in tears. When we get older life is supposed to get easier, not harder. I cant get you off my mind, please let us know if there is anything we can do for you. Do you and the fur kids have food?

Prairie Purrs
03-17-2006, 05:29 PM
The language "multi-tasking position that is fast-paced" sounds like a cover-up for age discrimination. It may be illegal to fire or refuse to hire someone based on age, but employers still do it.

moosmom
03-17-2006, 06:40 PM
I plan on going over there on Monday to turn in my ID and to talk to them. I KNOW it has nothing to do with my performance because I wasn't there long enough to perform ANYTHING. She did it all. It's not about age discrimination either, because she's my age.

So, I'm back to square one. I've already notified the temp agency that I'm available and will start job hunting first thing Monday.

Thanks for being there guys. Your compassion and understanding never ceases to amaze me!!

Laura's Babies
03-17-2006, 07:21 PM
Gee whiz Donna! Life sure is throwing a lot at you these days! You will get paid for the days you worked, right? I think you have the right to demand any salary owed you on the spot....

Remember when CCL thought the bottom had fell out of her life, I think she lost her job and her husband then lost his. You remember how worried she was about feeding her brats and paying the bills..... We kept telling her to have faith, there was a devine plan for her and she just had to hang in there until God was ready to show it to her? Remember what happened? She ended up getting her dream job! (now we never see her anymore... :( )

Put your faith back in HIM and trust in HIM... HE WILL take care of you. Tie that knot in the end of that rope and hang on.. DON'T give up!

Alysser
03-17-2006, 08:17 PM
What a total JERK! I'm so sorry you were fired and Im sorry your life is so diffcult right now. Prayers on the way:(

moosmom
03-17-2006, 08:28 PM
Jadapit,

Me and my furkids will be fine. I went out and bought a huge bag of IAMS and cat litter, so I'm all set. Thank you so much for caring! If you guys have any coupons for IAMS dry food that they can spare, I'd REALLY appreciate it!!!!

catnapper
03-17-2006, 08:50 PM
MY God, Donna I am shocked myself. What can we do to help?

All I can offer at the moment are virtual (((HUGS)))

moosmom
03-17-2006, 09:33 PM
Catnapper,

I'll be fine. I've survived MUCH more than this stupid setback. I appreciate your virtual hugs. They mean alot.

My cats are fine and will ALWAYS be okay. They'll eat before I do. Like I said, if you find ANY coupons for IAMS dry cat food, I'd appreciate it.

cyber-sibes
03-17-2006, 11:33 PM
Well that sucks.

But Donna, don't blame HP. You're just being moved into something better. It may take a while, and not easy to understand how or why, but everything's in Divine order. God didn't get you this far to drop you now. ;) (((((hugs)))))

christa
03-17-2006, 11:36 PM
Donna: I am sooooo sorry to hear about this. Just breaks my heart for you. But I ALWAYS try to believe that things happen for a reason. You just have to have faith that there is something better for you. You never know what you might have missed if you would have stayed in this job - you might miss out on something even more wonderful! These people might be doing you a favor. Just give it some time. I know that's hard to say now . . . but just try to give it some time.

I will be thinking of you & praying for you. Hang in there!

{{{HUGS}}}

MariaM
03-18-2006, 12:00 AM
I'm really sorry...that sounds so horrible.. But like others said, just keep looking up. We will pray for you, but God always has a plan. He doesn't give us a mountain that we can't climb.

krazyaboutkatz
03-18-2006, 12:01 AM
Donna, I'm so sorry to hear this.:( Your luck has to start changing for the better. I don't buy Iams cat food but if I find some good coupons I'll let you know. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

DJFyrewolf36
03-18-2006, 04:32 AM
Wow...more proof that some people are just plain rotten...

Hang in there! Things have a way of working out :)

Cat's Meowm
03-18-2006, 06:31 AM
I'm so sorry. What a coward! Did she get to be the expert she is in one week of *watching*? Why didn't she throw you to the wolves, so to speak, like on Wednesday afternoon and evaluate how you work under pressure? And be there to guide you for those last two days?
Hang in - breathe deep. It's happened to me so badly that I haven't worked in two years! At a *real* job! Long story!
I learned the hardest way possible to not trust a boss with any medical history that pertains to anxiety, depression, or personal changes. List meds, but offer no details.
And remember - what goes around, comes around. Be the bigger person, kill her with kindness, and when finally you are where you should have been to begin with but didn't realize, she'll have burned all her bridges. Or moved back to the one she came out of to begin with ;)

moosmom
03-20-2006, 08:37 AM
I called Human Resources first thing this morning. Most of the people are doing orientation, but I did speak with Donna and told her what happened. She said she had no idea!!!! Um, don't ya think that if they were going to let someone go, HR would be involved????? I told her that I deserve at least an explanation other than "I'm not the right person for the position" and an exit interview, and she said, "Absolutely".

She said I needed to speak with Nancy. I left her a voicemail message. Will keep ya posted.

On a lighter note...my roommate sent me an email with an attachment. It seems the Michigan Humane Society is looking for an Abuse Investigator (as seen on tv!!!). Talk about a kick in the @$$!! He told me I'd be PERFECT for the job. True, but a little late now. No way I'd go back to MI.

He said that maybe it's something in my background that I didn't know about that came up when the did the background check. I told him that I had absolutely nothing to hide and that my fingerprints are on file with the FBI from when I was an Auxiliary State Trooper. He's going to check my background out and let me know if he finds anything. I can tell you right now he won't.

*sigh* Only in America!!

ramanth
03-20-2006, 08:46 AM
On a lighter note...my roommate sent me an email with an attachment. It seems the Michigan Humane Society is looking for an Abuse Investigator (as seen on tv!!!). Talk about a kick in the @$$!! He told me I'd be PERFECT for the job. True, but a little late now. No way I'd go back to MI.

Donna, come back!!!! :D ;)

Just ribbin' ya chica.

I hope Nancy gets back with you. Something doesn't feel right about the way the other *itch let you go. I don't know about the work enviroment, but here, if I was leaving I wouldn't have a say in who was hired to replace me... so I'd have no right to call someone and say, "Sorry, you did the job one day and I could of done it better, out you go.".. . the higher ups would be furious! I hope you contact HER boss (Andy, right?) and find out if she had approval. Who knows....if you're gone, then she can say, well....guess she didn't want the job...here's who I want for the position.

I hate underhanded people.

moosmom
03-20-2006, 08:58 AM
Kimmy,

Unfortunately, I can't contact her boss, Andy, because she intercepts all his phone calls. And she has caller ID, so if she's avoiding me, she can throw my call into voicemail and ignore it.

Don't worry, I'll get to the bottom of it one way or another. AND, I want my week's pay!!! :mad:

I've notified BB&B I'm available anytime. Melissa told me she'd give me as many hours as possible.

I am NOT taking this lying down!!! :mad:

If only that Cruelty Investigator's position had come up when I WAS in MI. But hindsight has 20/20. You know that!!! :p

moosmom
03-20-2006, 11:16 AM
Well, I've called the Director of Human Resources, his assistant, Nancy, Maureen and left messages for all of them. No one is returning my calls. :mad: :mad:

I'm about ready to email the Publisher and call the newspapers. I'll give them till the end of today to get back to me. If this is the way they do business, I'm glad I got let go!!! :mad:

Now I know why my Dad always said, "You don't wanna work here."

I'm trying to stay as calm as possible under the circumstances, but I can feel my blood pressure going up as we speak. :mad:

Jadapit
03-20-2006, 11:27 AM
I swear some people kids!! I wanted to tell you that I dont have any IAMS cat food coupons but I'm keeping an eye out for them. I will let you know if I run across any.

moosmom
03-20-2006, 12:31 PM
Thanks Jadapit. I appreciate that.

I FINALLY was able to talk to the Director of HR. He said that they are in the process of cutting me a manual paycheck and it will be ready either later this afternoon or tomorrow morning. He told me to call him in the morning if I don't hear from him later today. I asked him why this all happened, and he said he really didn't know and I probably wouldn't get a definitive answer.

So be it. Just gimme my money and let me move on already!!!!!

Lobodeb
03-20-2006, 12:41 PM
You poor thing!!! I don't want to throw another cliche at you, but what doesn't kill you makes you stonger. And it's true. Hang in there and keep your chin up. Something good is bound to happen to you. I hope it's sooner rather than later.

I'll keep you in my prayers
((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))

king2005
03-20-2006, 01:44 PM
Thats terrible... When I had people fired at the Post Office, I made sure that it was at a good time (like a shift just before a weekend) & it was done after their shift & that the Store Manager, spoke to them in person & explained in detail WHY they were being fired. A few I forced to quit, as they were friendly people, but they just couldn't do the job & I didn't want to hurt their resume, as they were still quite young (under 20yrs old).

I missed out on the last person fired, & it was done the way I wanted it to be done. She was a total NUT BAG, to the point I feared for my life & the health of my customers! But I knew it was a mental issue & not that she was a "Bee with an itch". She was asked to quit as she was finally caught verbally attacking an employee infront of one of the BIG guys in the company, & she did quit a week later.

Thats how it should be done. As I know how it feels to be fired & not told why, or told a BS reason :mad:

However in the long run, its prob. best that you didn't work there. As it sounds like it would have slowly eaten you into depression.. Been there & had 2 major Anxity break downs, ya, its not worth the pain.

After I moved to this city, I had 3 HORRIBLE jobs! I had 3 major Anxity breakdowns in less then a month & then litterly hit rock bottom (I'm only 23)... So I vouched to myself NEVER to stay at a bad job like those again.. I told my Job agency about my work past & they found me a 3 day job with Samsung. I was told to work my butt off & impress (I do that anyways) & here I am at 2 months later in a relaxing, family enviroment job.. My pay bites, but its just enough to get by & I'm happy for once.

So if your agency offers you a temp job in a MAJOR company, TAKE IT!! Work hard (not too hard as to burn yourself out) & there is a chance you can wiggle into a more perm. spot.

I hope something I said was encourging or atleast gave you some hope :)
OH & Job Agencies LOVE it when you learn things on your own. I'm learning PHP, HTML & MySQL all on my own & because of that, they are putting me in places where I normally would never get, ie: Samsung.

So if you don't know MSword, MSexcel, MSpaint, IE, Firefox, MSN, GIMP, GAIM, MSPowerpoint, etc. Get those programs & play with them, or look online for a site that teaches you how to use them... The more you learn the basics the better chance the Job Agency will take a risk & put you in a good place!

Best of Luck :)

ramanth
03-21-2006, 08:56 AM
I'm not sue happy, but letting you go after just one day for foggy reasons just doesn't sound legal to me.... :( :mad:

I hope you get your pay soon Donna. *hugs*

moosmom
03-22-2006, 07:38 AM
Kimmy,

They called me at 5:50 pm and said my check would be at the security guard's station, and I could leave my ID there. How convenient that everyone involved had already gone home, so they didn't have to deal with it, or me probably.

Legal or not, I'm just glad it's over and I can move on. That's a pretty crappy way to handle things and I DO deserve an answer, but don't think that's ever gonna happen. Oh well.

Their loss!!!

davidpizzica
03-22-2006, 08:09 AM
Donna, that was a very rude way that they handled it. However as you said, it's over and you can go on. {{{{HUGS}}}} to you, Donna!

Randi
03-22-2006, 08:27 AM
Donna, I'm sorry to hear this. :( It really doesn't seem fair!! They could at least have called you in to tell you why they let you go!

Good luck finding a better job! :)

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-22-2006, 08:29 AM
GOOD GRIEF!! AND GOOD RITTANCE TOO!!

I really hate that for you.... stuff like that really makes me mad too! but I guess look on the bright side... you could be working with those people... :mad:

Craftlady
03-22-2006, 09:21 AM
Unfortunately this happens all to often in the working world.
An online friend of hubby's took an offer with a police station (to be dispatcher gave notice to his other job and the day before he was to start at the new job they called and asked if he quit his old job, which at first he thought was odd question to ask. Turns out the new place changed their mind and said he didnt have the job. He has since hired a lawyer.

It sure sounds like in your case someone else came available that they really wanted. Such a cowardly place to have your check ready after hours when no one was there. Your better off not working there at the newspaper.

Laura's Babies
03-22-2006, 09:52 AM
Sounds like they have idiots running the place to me... Cowardly idiots...