PDA

View Full Version : Rats!! I need a companion, cause I don't want to be alone

king2005
03-17-2006, 03:42 PM
As some of you know, I'm leaving Rob. I'm thinking of getting a few Rats as companions, as I cannot afford a dog's vet bills, nor a cats vet bills. & since Rats don't get yearly shots I can afford them.

My only problem is the cage... Back home I had a MASSIVE dog kennel turned into a rat cage. Now all I have is a 20gal tank... I don't want to use a tank as I know they cause lung issues & then death.. been there, never again...

Is there a place I can get one for SUPER cheap? used is what I'm looking for! I plan to go to yard sales this summer, but I'd like a rat asap, as the whole being alone thing doesn't mix well with me.

also,
Is there anyone in the Toronto Area who is looking to get rid of a cage for a couple rats? or a couple smaller cages for a rat?

I wish I had all my old stuff. I had cool bowls, lots of water bottles, toys, & everything I needed for a rats happiness.

Uabassoon
03-17-2006, 03:47 PM
Check all your local thrift shops, I found a really nice Martins cage at my local thrift shop once. Also check out the forums on ratsrule (http://www.goosemoose.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,118/forum,rat)
They have a market section and people are always looking to get rid of old cages.

Miss Z
03-17-2006, 04:51 PM
Sorry, I don't know anywhere which sells cages cheap, but I know what you mean, rat cages are pretty expensive. Tia's cage was nearly £100, although we spoilt her and got her a cage big enough for 3 of 4 rats:rolleyes: . I'm glad that you've chosen to get some rats, you'll definitly find them to be loving and funny little characters!:D

CathyBogart
03-17-2006, 05:21 PM
I have seen those HUGE plastic storage bins used to make excellent rat cages beofre. I think you can get the really big ones for about $20 at Target...

lute
03-17-2006, 06:05 PM
check your local newspaper. sometimes i see rats that come with cages in the paper. some humane societies have rats for adopteion. they normally don't charge a lot for an adoption fee.

good luck!

Karen
03-17-2006, 07:07 PM
You can see if there's anything you could use as a rat cage for free on freecycle.com In fact, you might as well join up for freecycle.com if they've got a branch near you, as you'll be needing other stuff, too, probably.

lute
03-17-2006, 07:20 PM
You can see if there's anything you could use as a rat cage for free on freecycle.com In fact, you might as well join up for freecycle.com if they've got a branch near you, as you'll be needing other stuff, too, probably.

oh! good idea! i go to freecycle all the time for stuff! :)

buttercup132
03-17-2006, 07:58 PM
Since I only live little ways from you King I will look in thrift shops for you if you want, my mom always makes me go with her. Actually the Value Village in missauga almost ALWAYS has a rat cage or hampster cage(I know thats not big enough but just saying)

*iluvskipper*
03-17-2006, 08:03 PM
eew gross don't get a rat!!! they r so dumb. well they are kinda smart actrually but if i was u i'd get a ginneau pig. they are sooooo much cuter ;)

Uabassoon
03-17-2006, 08:22 PM
eew gross don't get a rat!!! they r so dumb. well they are kinda smart actrually but if i was u i'd get a ginneau pig. they are sooooo much cuter ;)

Rats make great pets, they are very social as well as trainable. They can learn simple commands and they really bond with their humans. They are my favorite small animal. And I happen to think rats are adorable.

Miss Z
03-18-2006, 01:16 AM

Excuse me, now i'm going to rant....

Please keep comments like that to yourself. There are people on this forum who love rats and that comment is quite offensive to me and will be to others. PT is about the love of ALL pets, not just the ones considered 'cute'.

And for the record, I think rats are cute, and find them to be very affectionate, clean, clever and funny and definitely would not swap Tia for 1000 guinea pigs. king2005 has chosen that she would like rats, so no-one should try to change her mind.

binka_nugget
03-18-2006, 01:22 AM

We're all entitled to our opinions but saying that a rat isn't right for you is sufficient. There's no need to say what you said and offend those who love rats.

And they're actually incredibly intelligent. I think of them as mini-dogs since they're so interactive with their owners and are so smart.

SemaviLady
03-18-2006, 03:48 AM
I'm a fan of pet rats too. There was a period of time, oh so long ago... when I was a working student and had to pay rent on my own apartment. Struggling through college was easier since I had these wonderful pets. I had a big mouse cage for mine and their door was left open when I was doing homework (I had no TV). They very cute, all creamy beige in color. They came when I called them and knew their names. Sometimes I could manage to spring for a small bag of Cheetos (buying junk food on a budget was hard then, lol) They would each get a big one, all their own and race back to their mouse den to eat their prizes. They got carrots, fruit and regular rat chow too.

Reminiscing, a local college used to have something called a "Rat Decathlon" and students would train their rats to do a lot of unique routines, at least ten routines -- then they would compete. I don't find much about it on line... hrm... Either it's now called something else, or those cool contests don't exist any more.

I also had at least one or two Siamese Fighting fish in different containers. At the time (I used jars). I kept a few goldfish too. The rats were very affectionate and interactive, the fish were just so beautiful.

Best wishes to you for your future. :)

CathyBogart
03-18-2006, 03:09 PM

You have obviously never had a pet rat. Rats are extremely intelligent, clean, affectionate, cuddly, acrobatic, just delightful pets! To me they seem much more interactive than most guinea pigs. (Though I have to admit I have never had a GP just worked with them so I don't know that for sure)

I don't care for guinea pigs myself, I like QUIET animals. Rats are by far my favorite "small and fuzzy" pet.

lute
03-18-2006, 03:38 PM
i agree with everyone else. that was uncalled for. i happen to REALLY like rats and think they are cute.

king2005
03-18-2006, 06:24 PM

ummm.. I've had several hundreds rats before. I LOVE rats! Mine were great, some were free rescues & a few were not people friendly as they weren't treated well, but they loved other rats & were happy. When I had to put my first rat to sleep I spent the $50.00 knowing it was the best for him & then cried & cried & cried when I got him back & cried more when I burried him.

Rats are like little quiet dogs & even better. They give kisses, tickle your ears, play with you, & will run to their cage, grab a baby & run back up the bed across the bed & drop the baby in your hands & then go get the rest of them. My hand raised rats knew their names & came when called.

I mostly need help with a cage & now that I know I can use a tote, I'm going that route as I can put lots of fun things in them..

Just one thing about the totes. Wont the rats chew through it?

& the reason why I'm not getting a G. Pig is because they are loud, take up too much space & their not my kind of a pet, as it too easy for them to fall & they can't crawl all over you.

k9krazee
03-18-2006, 06:36 PM
Just one thing about the totes. Wont the rats chew through it?

They shouldn't be able to. Usually they are very thick plastic, I've kept my G. pig in one and he wasn't able to chew throught it...and if he couldn't I assume a rat wouldn't be able to, but I've never owned rats so I wouldn't know :o

Good luck!! :D I have always loved rats....too bad my mom thinks of them the same way as *iluvskipper* does :(

CathyBogart
03-18-2006, 06:40 PM
I am sure that it's possible, but I never had a ratty chew through one. I've had mice and hamsters in them too and not had problems with them escaping. :)

king2005
03-18-2006, 06:53 PM
I am sure that it's possible, but I never had a ratty chew through one. I've had mice and hamsters in them too and not had problems with them escaping. :)

What about jumping out? As I couldn't put a lid on it...

I'm really loving the tote idea, as it'll be sooo easy to clean as its light & if I drop it in the tub it wont break, unlike a glass tank :rolleyes:

Suki Wingy
03-18-2006, 09:12 PM
We're all entitled to our opinions but saying that a rat isn't right for you is sufficient. There's no need to say what you said and offend those who love rats.

And they're actually incredibly intelligent. I think of them as mini-dogs since they're so interactive with their owners and are so smart.
yup! My dad used to breed rats to feed his many snakes but he stopped because they were his "mini-dogs" (Feeds frosen or chicks now)

My dad also uses the giant tupperwear stuff for cages (drills lots of holes in them)

king2005
03-19-2006, 10:33 AM
yup! My dad used to breed rats to feed his many snakes but he stopped because they were his "mini-dogs" (Feeds frosen or chicks now)

My dad also uses the giant tupperwear stuff for cages (drills lots of holes in them)

as in the lid?? Wouldn't that cause lung issues?
or are the holes in the sides of the totes??

I want pets but I don't want to make them ill.

CathyBogart
03-19-2006, 12:51 PM
Here's how I did the lid on mine(for the rats, for the other critters I just drilled holes in the regular lid)...

I got some screen from the hardware store, and cut it so that there was about 4" extra on all sides. I got velcro strips from the hardware store also. I glued the velcro around the edge of the screen and on the bin so that the screen was stretched tight.

I know money's a bit tight right now (it is for me too -_- ) but I don't think the screen and velcro ran very much, alternately you could de-screen a door with metal screen in it. :) :) :)

*iluvskipper*
03-19-2006, 12:54 PM
you could go to ebay. :p

Alysser
03-19-2006, 01:24 PM
I'm sorry but I have to say something. Here at PETtalk we love all PETS and animals and this includes rats. People are going to get angry when you say rude and uncalled for things such as this. If you don't like rats then don't post on a thread saying this. Rats are VERY good pets and companions IMO and many people enjoy them including me. How would you like it if I said "EW goldens are soooooooooooo gross." Of course, I don't believe that but put yourself in out shoes. Gineau pigs are cute, sure. But that doesn't mean you should get one. Just because they are cute. Gineau pigs require alot of care and so do rats. For future reference, NO ONE should just get a pet because they are cute.

Suki Wingy
03-19-2006, 03:31 PM
as in the lid?? Wouldn't that cause lung issues?
or are the holes in the sides of the totes??

I want pets but I don't want to make them ill.
As it all over the side of them in rows.

king2005
03-19-2006, 03:56 PM
Here's how I did the lid on mine(for the rats, for the other critters I just drilled holes in the regular lid)...

I got some screen from the hardware store, and cut it so that there was about 4" extra on all sides. I got velcro strips from the hardware store also. I glued the velcro around the edge of the screen and on the bin so that the screen was stretched tight.

I know money's a bit tight right now (it is for me too -_- ) but I don't think the screen and velcro ran very much, alternately you could de-screen a door with metal screen in it. :) :) :)

Neat idea :)
I'll have to save up for the rats, proper cages, & large bags of feed.. Once I have enough to last several months (I put large quanities of food into pails & then keep a smaller amount in smaller pails, cheaper in the long run) I'll pick up the rats :)

I was told by a friend that I can get rats at a feed store for $5.00! & they are all sorts of colours so I wont have to guess who is who hehe & they are 5 weeks old, so they will be easy to turn into pets & bond with :)

Cages = $50.00
Nutro = $50.00 (unless I can find the med. sized bags)
Seed = $10.00
Bedding = $20.00
Food Dish = $5.00
Water dish = $5.00
Toys = $5.00
Rats X 5 = $25.00

Total = 170.00 AHHHHHH!!!!

*Kicks self for not keeping her old rat stuff!!*

king2005
03-19-2006, 03:57 PM
As it all over the side of them in rows.

I love that idea.. cause that means I can put them nice & low so air flow can get in & help move the ammonia away!!