PDA

View Full Version : 6 days left! Sponsors needed please, Walk to find a Cure, JDRF (diabetes)

lv4dogs
03-17-2006, 02:31 PM
added, 5/15/06:

Just bumping again. Only 6 days left till the walk. I am no where near my goal, which is actually a lot less than what I raised last year. Last year I raised over $1200.00.
Children all over the world diagnosed with diabetes need you help, your help to find a cure.
We all appreciate your support.

Kaige is walking in this walk, if you don't want to sponsor me, sponsor him! (but it does have to go under my name) lol

Once again my team "Kyle's Krew" & I will be participating in the 3 mile "Walk to cure Diabetes" this spring (5/21/06) and am seeking people that are willing to sponsor me. Any amount will do as anything is something towards finding the cure. If you can not donate how about joining in on the walk, we can always use additional walkers and if you are not comfortable joining my team you are more than welcome to walk by yourself or even start up your own team, weather it be personal, family or business. Contact me for more info about joining in on the walk. Or go here to sponsor me: http://walk.jdrf.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=extranet.personalpage&confirmid=86346358

As some may know my eyes opened to this horrific disease with no cure just short of a year ago, when my nephew Kyle was diagnosed with Type 1 (juvenile) diabetes at only 2 years of age. I was awakened at 4 in the morning with the terrible news, Kyle was in a coma & was rushed & admitted to the pediatric intensive care unit at Golisano Children's Hospital at Strong where he stayed for over a week. His BG was well over a thousand, which should be about 100. I will never forget that morning, walking into the hospital seeing all those ill children and Kyle, who was nothing but skin & bones and in a coma. How can such a young innocent child (children) be cursed with such a horrible disease? There are many side affects to this disease even if monitored correctly which can result in many more health problems down the road some of which are life threatening.

Type 1 diabetes is the second most common chronic disease in children (after asthma).

People with type 1 diabetes must monitor their diet & activity levels closely BUT they also must have daily injections of insulin to live, unlike some of the more lucky people with type 2 & 3, as some of which may be able to keep theirs under control strictly by monitoring their diet & activity levels.
For people with type 1, insulin is strictly a life support for them.

If anyone has any questions, needs more information, would like to submit a donation via snail mail or in person or if you would just like more info on diabetes itself please contact me.

I know it's early but it is for a great cause. I am trying to beat what I got last year which was a little over $1200, thanks to everyones help!

lv4dogs
03-20-2006, 10:36 AM
gentle bump

sandragonfly
03-20-2006, 11:16 PM
omgoddie, you'll be walking at my school!? I'll be having fiiinal exams during that week, however, if I have some free time, I'll walk with you! :D

for donating, I'll see what I can help with donations I got for miles. I can join anyway, right?

looking forward! (I hopeee so).. :)

Pawsitive Thinking
03-21-2006, 04:39 AM
Will it accept donations from the UK? The site is geared to US

lv4dogs
03-21-2006, 12:50 PM
Will it accept donations from the UK? The site is geared to US

I am not sure, I'd have to ask. I am not too computer litterate so I doubt I would tell just by looking at the site. lol
If not you can always snail mail them to me or directly to JDRF, check or money order is fine.

I have a very busy day or two ahead of me but I will find that out for you soon!

lv4dogs
03-21-2006, 12:51 PM
omgoddie, you'll be walking at my school!? I'll be having fiiinal exams during that week, however, if I have some free time, I'll walk with you! :D

for donating, I'll see what I can help with donations I got for miles. I can join anyway, right?

looking forward! (I hopeee so).. :)

Oh yes you can join anyways. If you want I can give you a sponsorship booklet & you can collect just in case you do walk, even if you don't walk we can still turn in the donations obviously.

I lost your phone number thats why I haven't been calling you lately. Ill PM you today or tomorrow.

lv4dogs
03-22-2006, 11:56 AM
Denise, I haven't forgotten about you, just waiting to hear back from JDRF to see if thats possible. :D

JenBKR
03-22-2006, 12:24 PM
I'm just seeing this - I'll make a donation (might have to wait until payday though :o ) Diabetes runs in my family, and my husband's, so I am definitely interested. Good luck reaching your goal!

lv4dogs
03-22-2006, 02:17 PM
I'm just seeing this - I'll make a donation (might have to wait until payday though :o ) Diabetes runs in my family, and my husband's, so I am definitely interested. Good luck reaching your goal!

Bless your soul Jen. I hope diabetes doesn't hit any more folks in your family. Oh and no hurry, you have until 5/21. Thanks a bunch. :D

Christiansmommy
03-22-2006, 06:16 PM
I will certainly be donating money to this cause, as I have gestational diabetes (pregnancy diabetes), and since having it, it has opened up my eyes to this disease first hand...
If there is ever a walk in my area (and i am able to walk in it, not being 7 months pregnant, lol!!), I plan to walk too.

Hope you gets lots of sponsors!!

Robyn

I am so sorry about your nephew Kyle.

lv4dogs
03-27-2006, 03:33 PM
Just gently bumping

Christiansmommy
03-27-2006, 04:27 PM
I think I will donate via snail mail, b/c the site doesn't have a "lock" on it, saying it is a secure site...and I don't want to put credit card info on there w/o it being a secure site.

Thanks.
Robyn

Mad Mags Moo
03-27-2006, 04:46 PM
I have had diabetes for nearly 17 years and I help with local diabetes support group by doing awareness and fundraising at every opportunity. It is amazing how much ignorance people have about this long term condition...I do not see it as a disease. I live with diabetes...i do not SUFFER from diabetes...I am not a victim.
Diabetes has never stopped me from doing anything....other than scuba diving or flying a plane....neither one i want to do anyway!
I still eat chocolate...very naughty and i may be paying for it now as my right eye has some bleeding in the retina area :(
I am on 4 injections a day and when i get to 40 (in about 5 years time!) I may have to go on cholesterol and heart medication to prevent any of the long term health problems occuring...that kind of scares the crap out of me but hopefully by then research may have found a way of stopping these from happening.
Sorry i have rambled on here but just thought I would tell you about me and what i do for a very good cause!
Feel free to ask any questions!
I am now off my soapbox......thanks for listening!

lv4dogs
03-31-2006, 11:37 AM
Just a gentle bump.

A friendly reminder to my wonderful PT friends, please don't forget that children all across the world need your support with this awful disease.

Every 30 seconds of every day a child is diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes.
Every 30 seconds of every day a leg is being amputated due to diabetes. 35 of those cases are children.
Diabetes kills one American every three minutes and is the 6th leading cause of death.
Diabetes is THE leading cause of Kidney Failure, adult blindness, non-traumatic amputations, nerve damage, stroke & heart attacks.

Please sponsor me in my walk to find a cure.
http://walk.jdrf.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=extranet.personalpage&confirmid=86346358

Our team, Kyles Krew hopes to exceed what we collected last year, which was just over $3000 total, $1200 of that was what I collected. (including online & offline donations) and we can not do this alone.

For those that have already done so I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

lv4dogs
04-20-2006, 02:09 PM
Bumping this up as it is for a very good cause. :D

Thank you all who have donated & sent good wishes, it is very much appreciated. :D

JenBKR
04-20-2006, 02:48 PM
Oh I am soooo glad that you bumped this up as i completely forgot :o I will donate!

sandragonfly
05-03-2006, 04:57 PM
bumping.. lv4dogs, just wanted you to know I've finally emailed the link (you provided) to everyone in my family and friends - hopefully they will read it soon and able to help too!

at RIT, my school - I've been seeing fundraising booths around, flyers, posters and inspiriting words chalked on our campus - of many walks to find a cure for various diseases. my friend and I plan to come here, and walk with you too, should we sign up as walkers? and thought of you often! yours is on the 21st of this month, right?

I'm so glad I could help you, and those children too! you know, I miss doing motorcycle riding - Ride for Kids (http://www.ride4kids.org) (pediatric brain tumor foundation) - with my father every year for about 9 years. it was awesome, we were in middle of 2,000 motorcyclists for two hours once and made over $6,000 donation before. I've once walked for cancer foundation for my friend's friend who died from it too - there are so many things we could help, walk through with.

looking forward see you there? :)

lv4dogs
05-04-2006, 09:22 AM
Oh GIna, thats wonderful, thank you so much for helping! I'll PM you after lunch today! :D

lv4dogs
05-09-2006, 12:03 PM
Another gentle bump. The walk is just shy of 2 weeks away. I would appreciate all the sponsors & good thoughts I can get.

For those that wanted to donate via snail mail let me know if you are still interested in doing so, I will provide you with my addy.

Thank you all for the donations & the good thoughts. That means a lot to us all.

lv4dogs
05-15-2006, 11:13 AM
Just bumping again. Only 6 days left till the walk. I am no where near my goal, which is actually a lot less than what I raised last year. Last year I raised over $1200.00.
Children all over the world diagnosed with diabetes need you help, your help to find a cure.
We all appreciate your support.

Kaige is walking in this walk, if you don't want to sponsor me, sponsor him! (but it does have to go under my name) lol

JenBKR
05-15-2006, 11:18 AM
I wish I could have donated more - things are so tight right now. Good luck, I really hope you reach your goal!

sandragonfly
05-19-2006, 03:55 PM
yup, see you soon! :)

I've raised a bit over $200 for kyle's krew around my school today. there were about half of them who I asked for help has already donated to two diabete professors here - one of them was my english teacher .. I didn't know. :eek: was a sad day - thought of my grandfather who died from gangrene (diabetes) last november and your little trooper too. :(

anyway, I'll be bringing it this sunday. thanks for sponsorbooklets by the way. you should have send 4th. ;) my friend who planned to come couldn't come. her daughter is in hospital. :( so I'll be coming alone but there are few RIT students (friends) probably will be there too. "depends on weather," they say. :p but, crayola will be coming for sure. (with banadana on you sent him). :D

looking forward - hope it'll be a warm day for everyone. :cool: