PDA

View Full Version : Advice on moving.

Uabassoon
03-17-2006, 01:08 PM
In the next few weeks I'm going to be moving in with Alexa. I want to make this transition as easy as possible for Corkscrew. Last summer I lived at Alexa's for two months while she was out of the country and Corkscrew didn't react as well as I thought he would. He peed on my bed the first night I had him there and did it a few more times during the first week. I also chose to never introduce him to Alexa's cats because I didn't want to stress him out even more since I was only there temporarily.

Alexa has two cats and a dog and I'm worried that Corkscrew won't react very well to all of this. What can I do to help make him comfortable? I was thinking of giving him some rescue remedy, will that help? Has anyone ever used this on their cats?

Laura's Babies
03-17-2006, 01:53 PM
I have no advice for you but I will wish you good luck for you and your babies in your new home. Sooooo, GOOD LUCK!

catmandu
03-17-2006, 02:33 PM
Theres not much you really can do except to let them get used to each other gradually.
And be cautious when Corkscrew and the Dog meet,as Corkscreww wont be used to Dogs,and The Dog might need time to get used to a New Cat.
I know that when introducing a New Cat here,I have been very lucky,that they all seem to get along so well.
Our Prayers are going for a Smooth Transition.

catlover4ever
03-17-2006, 02:37 PM
When Mark and I moved back in with my mom I seperated my cats from hers and I also used the feli-away plug in's. It seemed to help. Once we had been in the house for about a week I then started to introduce the cats a little at a time.

One thing that you might want to try is taking a blanket over to the house and getting the scents of her animals on it and then bring it back and let Corkscrew get used to the scents of her animals.

I hope all goes well.

moosmom
03-17-2006, 03:33 PM
Meg (Catlover4ever) hit the nail right on the head!! Gradual introduction is the key to a happy household. Good luck sweetie!! ;)

Uabassoon
03-17-2006, 03:37 PM
What can I do to help him adjust to the moving itself? When I was there last summer he freaked out and I didn't even do introductions.

rg_girlca
03-17-2006, 03:42 PM
Good advice Catlover4ever. :)

The only thing that I can think of is to just take the introductions very slow with Corkscrew.

I pray that all will go well in the end for you and Corkscrew.

Uabassoon
03-17-2006, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the advice given so far I'm am going to get one of the feliway plugins for sure. I just wish he reacted better to change, he gets stressed out very easily.

Laura's Babies
03-17-2006, 11:02 PM
Just provide Corkscrew a place where he will feel safe there. His own kennel, a box, someplace he can go to feel safe and make sure the "strangers" don't intrude on that space.

I understand that easliy stressing out part. That is how Amy is. Here at home, she has her kennel/bed that is her "safety zone" and once in there, she knows NOBODY will mess with her because Mommie won't allow it!