PDA

View Full Version : Do you snoop?

.sarah
03-16-2006, 10:49 PM
Do you snoop when you go into other people's houses? When I was at the hair dresser we got to talking and some how got on this subject. She mentioned that 8 out of 10 people look in your medicine cabinet when they use your bathroom. So I was just wondering if you're one of those people :D

Personally I don't do it. If I am pet sitting for someone I may go into their kitchen and look at the photos on their refrigerator, or look at the things on their counters, but I don't open up drawers and cabinets to snoop.

Vette
03-16-2006, 11:03 PM
Nope... its not polite :p

Jessika
03-16-2006, 11:14 PM
Hmmm... I can honestly not ever remember doing it for the sake of being snoopy anyway. I have before and I needed something and felt comfortable enough in whatever house I was at to poke around and look for what I needed, but I can't remember doing it solely for the sake of being nosy!

caseysmom
03-16-2006, 11:33 PM
I will sometimes look for a snack when rabbit sitting for my sister :D

Flatcoatluver
03-16-2006, 11:44 PM
I do!! come on guys be honest, I do when I am babysitting because I just wanna look and see if they weapons etc.

BC_MoM
03-16-2006, 11:45 PM
I don't really snoop unless I'm looking for food.. moreso when I'm babysitting though.

slick
03-16-2006, 11:47 PM
Well, snooping is really saying that you are not looking for anything in particular...just seeing what's in someone else's cupboards. In that case....absolutely not!! It's an invasion of privacy.

However, if I'm trying to cook in Gini's or Sara's kitchen, I'll open every cupboard door until I find what I need. I don't think that counts...does it?? :confused:

The only other time I will look in cupboards is if I'm in someone else's home and I use the last of the toilet paper. It's only polite to replace it, so I will go looking for a fresh roll. :rolleyes:

Tollers-n-Dobes
03-16-2006, 11:48 PM
I don't. People usually tell me where they keep food and stuff and that's all I need when I stay at someone's house. If somebody came to my house to watch the dogs or something, I wouldn't appreciate them snooping around. It's not like we've got anything to hide, I just don't think it's polite at all unless you really need something that you can't find....

Laura's Babies
03-17-2006, 12:36 AM
I am glad someone brought this up just so I can see other people views on this.. I can honestly say, I DO NOT snoop! I really don't care what anyone else has in their medicine cabinet, kitchen cabinets or anything else in their houses and I feel like is is really none of my business and I don't like someone else doing it in MY house since what I have is not anyone elses business.

I do have a grand daughter that I have caught snooping in my house and I got VERY, and extreemly upset about it. Whenever she comes here, I watch her like a hawk now. Her mother is a known thief and I know she has picked up her mothers habits.

Also, on the boat I work on, there are two closets in the cooks room. I NEVER go in the other cooks closet unless she left something out that I am afraid will get stolen (by another crew member) and then I will go in her closet to put her things back ONLY! I respect others privacy and want everyone to pay me the same respect.

Randi
03-17-2006, 06:50 AM
Well, snooping is really saying that you are not looking for anything in particular...just seeing what's in someone else's cupboards. In that case....absolutely not!! It's an invasion or privacy.

However, if I'm trying to cook in Gini's or Sara's kitchen, I'll open every cupboard door until I find what I need. I don't thing that counts...does it?? :confused:

The only other time I will look in cupboards is if I'm in someone else's home and I use the last of the toilet paper. It's only polite to replace it, so I will go looking for a fresh roll. :rolleyes:
I couldn't have put it better! :)

Daisy and Delilah
03-17-2006, 06:55 AM
I'm with you Laura. My Mother always taught us NOT to go through other people's belongings. I feel guilty if I even think about it. I live by the Golden Rule and I certainly don't want people going through my things so I don't do it myself. It just isn't very nice at all. I have a friend that visits and immediately starts to go through everything I have sitting around-I hate it and we end up almost arguing every time she comes over. She just can't seem to help herself. I shudder to think what she would do if I weren't here ;)

catnapper
03-17-2006, 07:08 AM
I don't get it either, though I once caught a business associate that stopped by my house looking in my medicine cabinet. The look on her face was priceless! :p Thankfully, I keep my medicine cabinet organized and there was nothing to gasp in shock at.

lvpets2002
03-17-2006, 07:52 AM
No way would I snoop thru anyone's stuff.. However I know some people that would..

Killearn Kitties
03-17-2006, 08:43 AM
I wouldn't dream of opening people's cupboards to see what I could find. When I was a little girl though, I did spend ages in people's bathrooms sniffing pretty bottles of bubble bath and the like, but only if they were on display. :D

K9soul
03-17-2006, 08:49 AM
I will look at things that are sitting out. I admit when I was in the restroom at my mother-in-law's house awhile back there was a book sitting on the counter upside down and I turned it over and peeked curious to see what she was reading :p. But I haven't opened drawers or gone through cabinets just to see what was there.

Ginger's Mom
03-17-2006, 09:12 AM
Absolutely Not!!! As already stated it is a violation of someone's privacy, of their trust, and extremely rude. I have done a lot of pet sitting for neighbors and the only time I went into any cabinets was while looking for a pan to cook my dinner (one time), and also one time looking for the bag of dog food which the lady forgot to leave out.

kuhio98
03-17-2006, 09:24 AM
No, I never have. But, I must have read the same article or something because before company comes over, I usually organize the medicine cabinet just in case.
My sister had a guy over installing a new window. She caught him going through her medicine cabinet. Said he was looking for an aspirin. Why he had her diaphram in his hand................

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-17-2006, 09:31 AM
Most certainly NOT!!
I hate it when people do this! The woman who cleans here every Friday is nosy too. She won't open things, but everything left on the table is unsafe for her eyes.... :mad: . I know, I try to put it away all the time, but sometimes I forget.... :rolleyes: :o

Cataholic
03-17-2006, 09:35 AM
I am with Slick and Randi, I don't do it- with the exception of toilet paper...he he he.

I guess I don't find what other people are doing in their home nearly as important as what I am doing. And, I don't have anything to hide, so, I guess other people must not either? OR, maybe I just don't stop to think about it...

Now, I do look at books left out, or magazines. That is interesting and a great conversation peice.

BC_MoM
03-17-2006, 12:00 PM
Well, I'll wander around the house looking at things, but I don't shuffle through papers, look in closets or anything. lol

AbbyMom
03-17-2006, 12:46 PM
Absolutely No Snooping!

I read a article about this several years ago. In it, they interviewed a woman who got so annoyed with the snooping during parties at her house that she loaded up the medicine cabinet with marbles and waited to see who would be the first to get caught the hard way. :eek:

Of course, someone opened it up and was faced with an explosion of marbles on the tile floor that brought everybody running to see what was wrong.

Some people have thought this was mean-spirited of the hostess....

Uabassoon
03-17-2006, 12:50 PM
When I worked for the pet sitting agency I would never snoop other than looking at things that were already out such as pictures. However when I was single I would snoop when I would visit the house of someone I was dating. I know it's wrong, but I wanted to know what I was getting into! I've never gone as far as to open up cabinets but I do keep a watchful eye and look at everything around me.

CathyBogart
03-17-2006, 12:57 PM
Nope, I don't snoop, unless you count looking through the photo album of her dog that the lady I'm pet-sitting for leaves out. :)

I HAVE snooped through DBF's things before, but I ALWAYS told him when I did. Usually it was just because...well, we live together, I get bored at home, so I flipped through his old notebooks. Most of them are anatomy and physiology stuff anyways. -_-

Miss Z
03-17-2006, 01:03 PM
I would never look in someone's cupboards, but I would look throughout some of their rooms just to see what they were like. People have done it in my house, and I've had people say that my family must be really posh when they see our living room! But it's not that special, my mum just has a good eye for what goes with what;) . But I think sometimes you can tell the personality of someone by the colours they use in their rooms.:rolleyes:

lv4dogs
03-17-2006, 01:04 PM
I never do that, at least not for the sake of just being snoopy/nosey. Like others have mentioned if I know someone well I will just open a cupboard or the like to get something I need and I will look at the pics on the walls, knick knacks on shelves etc... but I don't open anything up just to poke around.

I try my best to live by my motto "do onto others as you would want done unto you" :D

Roxyluvsme13
03-17-2006, 01:15 PM
Me? No..of course not! I'm innocent! Ok I did once :o.

Kfamr
03-17-2006, 01:50 PM
Like others, I have looked at pictures on walls/fridge, knick-knacks, etc. But, I don't recall looking thru medicine cabinets and such unless I needed something and they told me it was in there.

I have to say I love looking at knick-knacks... and Amy's (wolf_Q) room is a great place to do just that. ;)

k9krazee
03-17-2006, 02:32 PM
Nope. I wouldn't want somebody doing it at my house, I won't do it at theirs. And I do do other things that were mentioned such as looking at books/magazines, pictures on the walls, stuff on the fridge, etc.

Suki Wingy
03-17-2006, 03:23 PM
I never open drawers or anything but I will look around at the pictures and things and magazines laying out. I don't think that counts as snooping

sasvermont
03-17-2006, 03:39 PM
I don't snoop either. Not at the office or at someone's home.

A couple of weekends ago I pet-sat at a friend's place for one night and two days....and the thought did come up for me, to look in her closet to see where she kept all of her lovely clothes, but then I had a second thought and decided not to, that it was not my house, and I didn't want to compromise our relationship. It just creeped me out too much. It almost falls in to the category of "too much information" about someone. I would never look in her medicine cabinet and hardly looked for food to eat. I brought my own food so I wouldn't have to dig through cabinets or drawers looking for things.

I do look at things in my Mom's house, simply to keep track of what she is up to and if she needs things. She is elderly and has short term memory loss, so it is necessary. Even so, I don't do it often and very closely.

In general, I think we (well, not everyone!) are brought up to respect other peoples' spaces and there are many no-no's about snooping in areas that are not yours. There are times when parents have to snoop in kids' rooms etc. and that sometimes doesn't feel good for the kids.............. I know!

Edwina's Secretary
03-17-2006, 03:51 PM
Slick and Randi....you can go through my kitchen cupboards any time! As long as you are doing the cooking it only seems fair.

In fact, I am waiting for Randi to return and finish reorganizing my cupboards.... :D :D

(and the tp is in the cupboard under the sink..... ;) )

lizbud
03-17-2006, 05:04 PM
I answered no. It would never occur to me to do that. I would be
shocked if I ever discovered someone doing this to me.

dogzr#1
03-17-2006, 09:16 PM
I would never want anyone to snoop through my stuff, so I never snoop through anyone else's stuff. Whenever I go to a friends house I usually am shy and don't really look at their stuff. I would never do it because it is completely rude!

luvofallhorses
03-17-2006, 09:31 PM
nope, it's rude.

anna_66
03-18-2006, 12:25 PM
Well I must admit when I was young and would babysit I would snoop:o Now that I think of it I'm not sure why I did it, just because I guess.

Now I would never do that. I look at what's sitting around, but that's as far as it goes.

joanofark
03-18-2006, 12:29 PM
OH, no, no not at all! NEVER! ;):p:o

LOL, I've done it before. I don't ALL the time though, just sometimes.:p

Pam
03-18-2006, 02:05 PM
No snooping for me either. Actually I am not usually in someone's home when they aren't there except for my daughter's house if I should be babysitting. On the other hand, many years ago I used to have the next door neighbor's daughter over to feed and let the dogs out if I was away. I never suspected she would snoop, but somehow felt I had to have the place extra tidy just in case she did. :p

Personally I think people who snoop in medicine cabinets are probably looking for prescription drugs and that is a creepy thought. Why else would they do that? :eek:

moosmom
03-18-2006, 02:12 PM
I respect others privacy and want everyone to pay me the same respect.

Exactly!! Nope, never did, never will. It's just not right.

EssTer
03-18-2006, 03:20 PM
Actually no.. I dont...because i really dont care ... and I wouldnt like, that someone was snooping in my house! Usually when i babysit, i´m shown where to find food, so I dont need to snoop...

Alysser
03-18-2006, 03:38 PM
I never have really. But I voted yes because I think I would if nessacary. I have been horrifed to know SOME of my friends snoop around my room and it's really annoying. Once, I did though. Just because I was curious. Also, If someone EVER saw my diary I would be freaked out. So I don't because I would hate that happening to me.