PDA

View Full Version : Ted update - he had to leave me

Lizzie
03-16-2006, 05:25 AM
Ted is home from the vet and spent the first few hours holding onto my shoulder and sitting on my chest, leaning into me and alternately yowling and purring hard. The x-rays show a very small stone in his kidney, not enough to cause blockage so we believe it is in the ureter. Since surgery on the ureter isn't feasible because even with micro-surgery the resultant scarring also causes blockage, all we can do is give copious fluids. Although he's been tempted by non-vet dry food over the past few days, now he isn't and won't eat salmon, turkey breast or Fancy Feast. He was force fed at the vet's and I gave him another just now. I've force fed 6 cats before, and never had to wrap any of them. Ted had to be wrapped, and I had to put hydrogen peroxide on my shoulder wounds after he escaped at the end of the feeding! He's now on my lap, having forgiven me. At least he was feeling well enough to give himself a good wash after feeding - I'll take comfort in such a small sign.

He looked so awful before I fed him, and he fights the pilling and feeding so hard that I wonder if I am doing the right thing. If we don't win this battle, that's a horrible way for him to live the last few weeks of his life.

I will post photos as soon as I've figured out some glitches in my computer.

Thank you for everyone's positive thoughts and good wishes. Ted is my only "hugging" cat now and I can't imagine being without him.

Catty1
03-16-2006, 08:30 AM
When I was 13(just a few short years ago ;) ), I had a cat with crystals and there was no preventative diet, nothing then...

But I do recall that the vet passed a catheter as part of the treatment. Fairly simple, non-surgical method.

Might this not help your poor Ted?

hugs
Catty1

jackie
03-16-2006, 08:33 AM
Poor Ted and poor you.

I am still praying that all turns out well for you both.

Laura's Babies
03-16-2006, 09:00 AM
Awww! I hope this crisis passes and he will be ok. I know what he means to you and how you feel. Prayers sent!

Lizzie
03-16-2006, 10:02 AM
When I was 13(just a few short years ago ;) ), I had a cat with crystals and there was no preventative diet, nothing then...

But I do recall that the vet passed a catheter as part of the treatment. Fairly simple, non-surgical method.

Might this not help your poor Ted?

hugs
Catty1

I don't think so (though thanks for the suggestion) since I believe the catheter would be passed through the urethra, which is the channel to the bladder. The ureter is between the bladder and kidney so it would involve surgery. What the vet is looking into today is shock-wave therapy for Ted because the veterinary speciality center here was considering purchasing the equipment to offer this service for cats.

Kater
03-16-2006, 11:49 AM
I'm sorry that he is fighting the force feeding so vehemently. I can see how this would make you question the treatment, but he is probably just feeling dreadful. Maybe after some more TLC, you can reevaluate things. Grooming is definitely a good sign!
Lots and lots of prayers being sent for the both of you!! {{{{HUGS}}}}

catmandu
03-16-2006, 12:07 PM
The Pets and Pet Angels know that Poor Ted cannot come to the Toronto Party,so they are bringing him a nice mixed entree from the Finer Restaurants ,and some Prime Cat Nip,from the Kitty Connection.

RedHedd
03-16-2006, 12:43 PM
Please tell me more about the shock wave therapy as it sounds like Mishi is going through the same thing with a stone in his bladder. I was sure with all of today's technology that there MUST be some non-surgical way to get rid of those darned stones and now you tell me there is! Prayers going out your way that the going gets easier as I know all-too-well from personal experience with Mishi that it's a tough time both for the cat and their guardians.

kb2yjx
03-16-2006, 01:06 PM
Prayers for Ted!!! Isn't Hills' s/d for crystals formation?? EONS ago, I think that is what Spunky ate when he had a bad bout of crystals.

Catty1
03-16-2006, 01:39 PM
Sorry, I mixed up "ureter" and "Urethra".

I hope this mew treatment is available and works!

hugs
Catty1

Lizzie
03-17-2006, 08:19 AM
Ted died in my arms at the emergency vet at about 1am. His renal failure became extreme and he could no longer cope with fluids, they were in his chest. He was only 11 years old. Now I've got to pull myself together and go into work, grateful that it is Friday and I have the weekend to try to come to terms with this sudden and shocking loss.

furrykidsmother
03-17-2006, 08:24 AM
Oh my God!! I am so very, very sorry to hear of this. Sweet Ted is at peace now and well and happy at the RB. I am glad his last memory this side of the bridge is of you holding and loving him.

Craftlady
03-17-2006, 08:31 AM
So sorry for your loss. May it be a comfort to know Ted is no longer suffering and happly playing at the Rainbow Bridge.

Catty1
03-17-2006, 08:31 AM
Oh Lizzie -

Thank God Ted had your arms to hold him; you loved him and he knew it, your huggy boy.

I hope his passing was peaceful, hon - post here as much as you need to!

HUGS

Catty1

Killearn Kitties
03-17-2006, 08:33 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that poor Ted lost his battle.
Rest in peace, sweetie.

Donnaj4962
03-17-2006, 08:35 AM
Oh my.... LES. I am so sorry for your loss. I know that Ted passed knowing that he was in the arms of the one who loved him the most! Please take solace knowing that he passed quietly and that he is happily playing with all of the other PT RB furrkids! He is now at peace and no longer in pain. I will keep you in my prayers as I know you are hurting at this time.

catnapper
03-17-2006, 08:40 AM
Oh Lizzie, I am truly sorry. (((HUGS))) I know you did everything in your power and he's now waiting to meet up with you someday at the bridge.

Maresche
03-17-2006, 08:55 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this. :(

Gentle hugs to you and positive thoughts to get you through work today and quickly and painlessly as possible.

{{hugs}}

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-17-2006, 09:08 AM
Oh no, poor Ted, and poor you..... :(
This is hard to accept, I know from experience. Try to remember all the great moments you had with him. You did everything you could for him, and no doubt that he knows!! He is happy playing at the Rainbow Bridge now, my Sydney will show him all the best hiding places, and be his best friend!

RIP, dear Ted!!
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/smilies%20474%20rainbow_bridge.gif

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-17-2006, 09:21 AM
Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry to hear about this sad turn of events. {{{hugs}}}

RIP sweet Ted, you will be sorely missed. :(

slick
03-17-2006, 09:29 AM
I'm so very sorry for your loss Lizzie. RIP Ted and make sure you look up Speckles. She would love to be your friend.

emily_the_spoiled
03-17-2006, 09:39 AM
I am so sorry to read about Ted. I know you loved him greatly and are missing him, but he is now forever watching over you from the RB. He is now with all of our loved ones who have gone before.

Pawsitive Thinking
03-17-2006, 09:51 AM
I am so sorry :(

Laura's Babies
03-17-2006, 09:54 AM
OH MY GOD! I am SOOO sorry! (((((((HUGS))))) for you.

kimlovescats
03-17-2006, 10:14 AM
With LES, I mourn for your loss! :(

AbbyMom
03-17-2006, 12:39 PM
I'm so sorry...

Cinder & Smoke
03-17-2006, 12:57 PM
:(

So Sorry, Lizzie.

Rest In Peace, Ted.

/s/ :( Phred

CalliesMom
03-17-2006, 01:02 PM
I am so sorry to have read of his loss. :(

rg_girlca
03-17-2006, 01:34 PM
Ted died in my arms at the emergency vet at about 1am.

I just finished reading the threads and posts about your Ted and was going to respond, but then I came across your recent post. :(

My heart breaks for you Lizzie. You did all you could for your sweet boy.
Now he is at peace, pain free and waiting until you meet again on the RB.

Rest in Peace dear Ted and have fun on the RB.

((((((HUGS)))))) Lizzie.

jenluckenbach
03-17-2006, 01:52 PM
Ted died in my arms at the emergency vet at about 1am. His renal failure became extreme and he could no longer cope with fluids, they were in his chest. He was only 11 years old. Now I've got to pull myself together and go into work, grateful that it is Friday and I have the weekend to try to come to terms with this sudden and shocking loss.

I am SO sorry. :( :( :(

Denyce
03-17-2006, 02:31 PM
I am so sorry. I imagine you are just devestated. He was a lucky cat to have your love and you were a lucky person to be graced with a special cat.

Denyce

lizbud
03-17-2006, 05:59 PM
I am so sorry to hear this. :( Rest In Peace dear Ted.

kb2yjx
03-17-2006, 06:16 PM
Such sad news!!! Sleep softly, sweet Ted...

kuhio98
03-17-2006, 06:16 PM
Lizzie ~ I am so sorry for your loss. :(
I picture him happy and healthy again playing with all our Bridge babies.

RedHedd
03-17-2006, 06:33 PM
:( so sad. RIP sweet Ted. Play hard at the Bridge and give my Goldie a few headbumpies.

krazyaboutkatz
03-18-2006, 12:11 AM
Lizzie, I'm so sorry to hear about Ted's passing.:( RIP sweet Ted.:(

orangemm
03-18-2006, 05:37 AM
Oh, I am so sorry for you and for Ted. What an awful shock for you, losing your dear companion so quickly.

All we can do is pray that Ted is happy and safe at the RB.

Hugs to you. (((((hugs))))) :(

K & L
03-18-2006, 07:35 AM
I'm so sorry to read this thread. Ted gave a good fight and had loving care to the end. RIP dear Ted.

smokey the elder
03-18-2006, 08:25 AM
I'm so sorry about Ted. Play nice at the Rainbow Bridge.

Kirsten
03-18-2006, 08:42 AM
I'm so sorry that you have lost him! :(

R.I.P. little Ted!

Kirsten

Barbara
03-19-2006, 05:08 AM
I'm so sorry for poor Ted. I am sure it was a comfort for him that he was in your arms when he had to go.
RIP Ted