PDA

View Full Version : A question for you experienced moms (and dads). . .

Lobodeb
03-15-2006, 10:40 PM
Is this normal? I find I am TERRIFIED of the thought of losing my baby to SIDS. People ask me if he sleeps though the night yet, and he probably would if I wasn't constantly moving him to see if he's breathing! Is this normal? I'm constantly reading up on what to do and what not to do but I'm afraid my fear is consuming me. Is this just part of being a parent?

Crazy-Cat-Lover
03-15-2006, 11:34 PM
I have a 2 year old daughter and still have her sleep right beside me. I am terrified to let her sleep alone in her room - if I did, I would be frequently checking on her. It is very normal as a parent to be worried about your child, I'm always checking to make sure she's okay.

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-16-2006, 06:49 AM
It is TOTALLY normal to be worried about it. The latest wisdom (which has changed from last time I had babies in the house) is:
Put baby to sleep on his / her back
Place baby "foot-to-foot" ie at the bottom of the cot, so he / she can't wriggle down under the covers
Ensure good ventilation and safetly by not having any cot bumpers / stuffed toys etc in the cot
No pillows or duvets for the first year
Avoid smoking around the baby - some even take it to the level that smokers should change clothes before holding the baby

If you know you are doing all you can, and are STILL anxious, there are baby monitors available which sound an alarm after 20 seconds without moving (they are sensitive enough to pick up the baby breathing).

((((HUGS))))

Lobodeb
03-16-2006, 06:53 AM
Put baby to sleep on his / her back

So what happens now that he's learning to turn over? How do I keep him on his back?

Daisy and Delilah
03-16-2006, 06:56 AM
Welcome to the wonderful world of parenthood hon ;) A good parent never stops worrying!! :) My kids are 30 and 33 and I'll never stop worrying about them as long as I live :)

Maresche
03-16-2006, 06:59 AM
If he is strong enough to turn himself over, he is strong enough to pick up his head if he has trouble breathing and even cry. Keep a monitor in his room and a reciever with you so you can hear him if he does get into trouble and try to relax the best you can.

I felt the same way with Mimi until she was 6+ months. By then she was pulling herself into a sitting position and I knew for sure she could let us know if she were in trouble.

Samantha Puppy
03-16-2006, 08:10 AM
I don't know, maybe there's something wrong with me but I have never really worried about SIDS. And Aidan has a crib bumper. And I put at least 2 blankets over him every night. When his nose is really stuffy (like last week), I even prop him up to help him drain it/breath a little easier. I worry more about his health and development than anything.

Pawsitive Thinking
03-16-2006, 08:49 AM
Yes it is normal to worry. Ally Cat's Mommy has posted some great advice and now he is starting to turn over he will sleep in the position that is best for him. Trust your instincts and you can't go far wrong

Corinna
03-16-2006, 09:21 AM
At 24 and 22 I still check on the kids (not bed check on 24 shes pregnat and married) but I still do the 22 year old (drives him nuts he could move out!!)
The monitor is the best idea.

caseysmom
03-16-2006, 09:27 AM
Welcome to motherhood! If I knew all the worry involved I don't know if I would do it again...seriously...I guess its mother natures way but I get sick of worrying about everything all the time.

Laura's Babies
03-16-2006, 09:38 AM
This has went on since "motherhood" and it is normal to worry as long as you don't become obsessed to the point that you don't get any sleep.

(I am like that about my kitties when they sleep all day too... I tip toe over and make sure they are breathing)

Husky_mom
03-16-2006, 11:19 AM
i cant say i´m experienced at all, but i also worried about that and i constantly placed my hand to feel his breathing.......... and i didnt liked the idea of him sleeping on his back, in case he threw up i didnt wanted his to broncoaspirate so i rather have him sleep face down and facing sideways.......

but whatever works for you better.........i also had this nightmares where all sort of bad things happened to him, i stil do but less often, and i think its pretty normal to be that way since you dont want anything bad to happen to them and you....like think ahead what could go wrong so you can prevent it......so dont feel weird i´m just like you ;)

lizbud
03-16-2006, 11:59 AM
If he is strong enough to turn himself over, he is strong enough to pick up his head if he has trouble breathing and even cry. Keep a monitor in his room and a reciever with you so you can hear him if he does get into trouble and try to relax the best you can.

I felt the same way with Mimi until she was 6+ months. By then she was pulling herself into a sitting position and I knew for sure she could let us know if she were in trouble.

This is how I thought too. :) It's best not to let the fear comsume you
as it wears you out & doesn't help the baby at all.I'd talk to the baby's
Doctor to see if he/she could help you find ways to help overcome it.

Gentle hugs to the little guy. :)

Jods
03-16-2006, 07:43 PM
I'm like you too, I wake up all night to check on her... This is a really fun forum you can join to share your worries with other moms I do...
http://www.yabbers.com/phpbb/index.php?mforum=wwwmommyandmeco&sid=b14894001bec402cab73b16498309384

Lobodeb
03-16-2006, 09:59 PM
Thanks, everyone for your kind words and encouragement.

When I was going for non stress testing, one of the nurses used to always tell me to enjoy my time before the baby was born because once that birth happens, you spend the rest of your life worrying. I had no idea how true her words were/are.

Cataholic
03-17-2006, 08:59 AM
It is a worry, isn't it? I really encourage you to make sure you are doing ALL the AAP reccommends. I had NOTHING in Jonah's crib until he was flipping around. No crib bumpers. No stuffies. No blankets. He slept in a blanket sleeper, with moderate tempatures. I also encourage breastfeeding, as it has shown to be beneficial with SIDS. Quite honestly, since it was nearly a year before he slept through the night, I was so dern tired that if he was sleeping, I was sleeping. To this day, at 18m, I still keep his door to his room opened. (But, I have added a blanket and stuffies. I never did return to the crib bumpers).

Worry is good. Anxiety is not so good. For you, for him, for your family unit.