PDA

View Full Version : I spoke too soon -- help!

catnapper
03-15-2006, 09:16 PM
I just updated about the new litter saying how there's been no inappropraite peeing since I switched litter, and no sooner do I say that, someone prooves me wrong :(

I was sitting in bed watching tv when out fo the corner of my eye I watched Allen climb onto a pile of laundry that was plopped on a chair. I watched to see if he was trying to lay down or pee.... turns out it was pee. He stood there and peed as I watched. I called his name and he STILL continued to pee. He continued as I got out of bed and he didn't stop even as I picked him up! I ran him to the bathroom and unceroniously plopped him in a litterbox. Is that behavioral -- is he mad about something? If so WHAT? Nothing's changed, he has access to anything he wants.

Do you think HE has an infection too? Is it possible he and Pouncer have the same trouble? I gave him a Clavimox thinking it can't hurt but could help and intend to give him a full round of it.

Do you think it'd be safe/smart to start feeding him the same foor Pouncer's on to dissolve the crystals? With Pouncer right now I am totally strapped and I have to return to the vet with him next friday (which I don't have that money for already) Its my daughter's 18th brithday tomorrow and we don't have a gift for her because of finances, and not even any money for a cake :( :o I can't ignore her big birthday and then take the cat for a $100 vet visit -- she already thinks she's forgotten in this house between her older brother and younger sister... she doesn't need to come behind a cat. :(

I thought it odd this afternoon when I saw Allen cleaning Pouncer's privates - do you think Allen was cleaning Pouncer's infection the same way he would clean his own? Is it possile that Pouncer's infection could spread to Allen from Allen grooming Pouncer (yes, I am aware how stupid I sound right now!)

HELP! Any ideas and support would be appreciated!

PS: You all know me well enough to kow that some how, some way, Allen WILL get to the vet, but maybe not for a few weeks... but I WILL be watching his litterbox habits like a hawk in the meantime. I just need to know if I can do something right now to resolve this issue without a vet. I know if I call my vet they'll insist on seeing him right away and I just cannot do that this week or next.

Laura's Babies
03-15-2006, 09:47 PM
I would call the vets and explaine the situation to them, including the financial part and see if they would just let you get the meds and see if that helps him. Can't hurt to give him the meds if he don't have an infection can it? Poor kitties, IF only they could TALK!

catnapper
03-15-2006, 10:10 PM
Laura, I already have the meds. I even know what dosage to give him so thats no problem. Last time he peed and got antibiotics the peeing stopped (the antibiotics were for diarrhea but gave me an little unexpected added bonus).

So maybe I just have two cats in the house succeptable to crystals? Lord, if so, I pray that they are both struvite. I won't be able to deal with struvite on one and Calcium oxate on the other. Separating them and food is difficult at best, near impossible as a general rule. :(

Anyone want to participate in the catnapper tabby auction? I have a Pouncer and an Allen up on the auctioning block! :D ;) both are slightly used, highly loved tabbies :p

Catty1
03-15-2006, 10:37 PM
Will IMOM help with meds and checkups?

www.imom.org

Lizzie
03-16-2006, 05:30 AM
I'm really sorry you are going through this since I've gone through the same and know the utter frustration. When Loki used to continue peeing while I yelled and even as I approached, I knew it was behavior - he didn't, in fact, have any urinary problems. You don't want to hear this because it costs money, but have you thought of behavior medication - perhaps you have already and I'm too new to know. I've been pleased by the way Clomicalm has worked on Taranis.

catfamily
03-16-2006, 06:06 AM
Tucker, when I first had him, peed right on the bedcovers with Mike under them watching him.And he did that a couple times.I gave him Clavamox 2 times a day for 2 or 3 weeks and it NEVER happened again.2 times a day.
Depending on his weight...depends on whether to cut it in half or not.But I know it's a twice a day medication for at least 2 weeks.Sometimes 3 but no more than that.
Since Tucker was a kitten I cut in in fours(The smaller dosed pill).So he got a quarter pill 2 times a day.
I'm sure you know all about clavamox anyway but I figured I'd throw it out there for others.
The dose goes by weight everyone.
Plus there's 2 different dosage pills.
(For anyone interested)I know Kim already knows about Clavamox.
Good Luck :(

catnapper
03-16-2006, 06:18 AM
Thanks for the help guys!

Lizzie, I have always known Allen was a behavioral peer- but he's always just peed in the laundry basket. Perhaps he no longer distinguishes between laundry baskets and laundry piled on a chair? Knowing he is a behavioral peer in laundry baskets, if he ever peed I always just considered it "shame on me" for having the baskets out where he had access to them. Allen as a kitten did not have a clean litterbox (I was just engaged to hubby and did not live here, so his box was awful until I got here on the weekends to care for it) and he developed litter fussiness and behavioral peeing. I was rather ticked last night because I had scooped all the boxes not even 10 minutes prior to his little stunt :mad: I have never considered medicating him for the behavior because he's not doing it from stress - he's just a brat! LOL

Now, Allen HAS in the past peed when he was mad at me. I just cannot think of any reason he'd be mad right now. Everything is normal and the same as usual. All rooms are open to him (#1 reason why he pees when mad)

Carla, I am right in line with your thinking. I gave him Clovimax last night, will give it to him this morning and again tonight..... will do so for two weeks just like I am with Pouncer. I know the dose I need to give him because my foster Emory is the same size as Allen and I will give him Emory's dose :) I am torn as to whether or not I shold give him Pouncer's crystal dissolving food. It would be a huge gamble, and I'm not the gambling type... I think I'll just dose him with the Clavimox and then wait to se how soon I can get him in to the vet.

Catsnclay
03-16-2006, 11:19 AM
turns out it was pee. He stood there and peed as I watched. I called his name and he STILL continued to pee. He continued as I got out of bed and he didn't stop even as I picked him up! I ran him to the bathroom and unceroniously plopped him in a litterbox. Is that behavioral -- is he mad about something? If so WHAT? Nothing's changed, he has access to anything he wants.

In my opinion, this WAS his way of telling you he did not like the new litter.

In a somewhat related story: Beware this is a nasty story! A few years back we got the new pellet litter (can't think of the name right now :rolleyes: ) but dummy me, instead of just changing one box I changed all the boxes over to the new litter. I thought all the kitties went without a problem until night time. Actually it was the wee early morning hours, something like 2 or 3 am. Fluffy jumped on the bed and started meowing very loudly, waking us up, then proceeded to take a very long and nasty dump on the bed (some falling off to the floor :eek: ) It was a disgusting thing to have to be woken up to, but there we were, stripping the bed, doing laundry and trying to get back to sleep......on the couch! The bedroom stunk for days, Tim was pissed at Fluffy, but I learned a VERY good lesson...........when changing ANYTHING with the cats, do it slowly and one box at the time!

They have their ways of telling us when they are unhappy, and this is what happened to you Kim! Be happy it wasn't on your bed!

catnapper
03-16-2006, 11:42 AM
Ah, but not all the boxes have the new litter! I learned that lesson the hard way myself! LOL

He has 2 boxes to choose from that do not have the new litter at all. One box is 100% new litter, and 4 boxes are mixtures. Out of the boxes, the one with 100% new litter has been the most popular and used. When I went to scoop yesterday morning, I went through FIVE litterboxes with not even a tiny pee biscuit to scoop. I was starting to get worried until I came to the box that was 100% new litter. It seems all 5 cats HAD to use the new box over night. There was a LOT of scooping. I never imagined how many poo and pee piscuits could fit into one litterbox! :eek: It was the same way this morning.

I was talking to a friend in the cat rescue this morning about it..... 2-3 weeks ago somebody peed in a food dish that hubby had put on a shallow table. She felt then that the peeing was because someone was mad that someone else got preferential treatment and fed separately than the others. Last night, the chair that Allen peed on is the chair I've been feeding Pouncer his special diet. She feels that last night was behavioral saying "Hery lady! I'm the King and I get fed specially" Which he does. Everyone else gets food on the work table, he gets fed on the scratching post... and he gets his food delivered to him whereas everyone else has to go up to their bowls.

Gosh, we hoomans can be slow at times! I will try to also feed Allen specially in the bvedroom in the mornings too from now on and see if that makes any difference.

catmandu
03-16-2006, 12:11 PM
I go through this with Shemp,and Tubby 2.
Tubby 2 was a Porchie,and never had good Litter Box Habits.
Thats why I let him out on demand as its better than him using the clothes.
And if Tubby 2 sprays Shemp will spray too.
A Battle of Dominance maybe thats why both Your Toms spray too.
I wish you Luck with them both.

Catsnclay
03-16-2006, 03:26 PM
:D :D :D

Your cats sound just like mine: Little Princes in the making!

Since we just have males, we already have a King - Fluffy (he is the oldest); then there is Lucky & Yoshi - the Little Princes - in waiting :rolleyes:

Sometime I wish they could talk to us, it isn't always easy trying to figure out what they want or why they are mad, but they sure do let us know about it!! :eek:

Catty1
03-16-2006, 09:35 PM
So....guess more than one box will have the new litter in it too?

Gosh, cat politics make human ones look tame at times!LOL

Hope everything works out!

Catty1

catnapper
03-17-2006, 07:29 AM
Well, day 3 of one box with 100% new litter and its the 3rd day where I am scooping poo and pee biscuits like I'm digging in a mine. :rolleyes: Looks like I'm going to have to dump one more box today to make it also 100% new litter.

Nobody has peed anywhere in 36 hours. Hey, in a house with a pee-er thats progress! :p I still don't know if its behavioral or health -- I fully intend to give him that round of antibiotics and at the same time be careful how I'm feeding Pouncer. The thing with Allen is that he's been a behavioral pee-er since he was a tiny kitten.

I talked to hubby about the idea that Allen peed on the chair because he didn't like that Pouncer was getting fed there, and he replied, "Makes sense. But why did he have to pee on MY work clothes?!"