PDA

View Full Version : guess who's breeding a betta now

IRescue452
03-15-2006, 10:01 AM
Well, C.C. is getting on in age and I decided I want babies. Call me crazy as I'm in the middle of spring break and the eggs will probably be here by the time I'm moving back to the dorms. I wanted a double tail or super delta yellow male, but thanks to the hurricane I'd have to go swimming the Gulf of Mexico to look for Mr. Right. Apparently the breeder that supplies my favorite fish store is going to be out of business for a while. But I got a lovely veiltail- young, strong, royal blue like my girl. He's learning to make a bubble nest, he's got like 10 bubbles done overnight. I wish he'd speed it up, C.C. wishes he'd speed it up. I intend to keep each and every female that I end up with, well the ones that will live peacefully. Males will be given away or sold. Hopefully some pictures will have turned out, I pick up pictures tonight from walmart.

Roxyluvsme13
03-15-2006, 10:06 AM
Congrats! :D Good Luck with the spawning! :)

chrissycat21
03-15-2006, 04:28 PM
I really hope you did your research before jumping into this! People reccomend tha you do not breed veiltails because they are so common, most people want crowntails, deltas, etc. instead a VT.

Please, please go google betta breeding or even join a forum. I know Ashley and Erica who both breed bettas are members of TFF (http://www.fishforums.net/). I am a member myself and when I had questions about my betta they were always able to help.

Good luck. :)

IRescue452
03-15-2006, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the website. I plan to keep all the fry, I'm not breeding for profit or for selling (maybe a few males will be sold to qualified people). I just want some nice looking, probably blue females for myself. I'm doing a controlled breeding and will pull the female when I decide there are enough eggs. I know all about breeding and fry care. There's no need for a lecture on what fish to breed as this is just a personal breeding for myself. People recommend I don't breed comets since they are common too but since I keep a pond of them and they are my favorite fish, I tell them to go screw themselves. I'd rather people not breed grossly deformed goldfish. Anyway, please try to avoid telling me which of my fish I can and cannot breed.

Flatcoatluver
03-15-2006, 05:28 PM
I can't wait for the pics!!! Good luck!!! :)

My Peanuts
03-15-2006, 05:36 PM
Anyway, please try to avoid telling me which of my fish I can and cannot breed.

I don't want to cause a fight, but I re-read the posts and no one told you not to breed them. I think she was just giving some good natured constructive criticism and making sure you knew what you were doing. I think it's responsible to ask.

Good luck with the spawning and take lot of pictures! :)

Jessika
03-15-2006, 05:37 PM
Honestly I would probably wait a few weeks as you said so yourself that the eggs would probably be there as you were moving back to your dorms and do you really want to put that much stress on them or risk losing eggs over a move?

IRescue452
03-15-2006, 05:47 PM
Ok so maybe I read that one post a little bluntly. I've had fish for a long time and have been a member of an aquarium group for a bit too. I don't take to such advice nicely.
Yeah I am waiting, moving entails an hour drive and then carrying the tank to my room. Not too stressful but since this male hasn't yet figured out how to do everything it would be to hard for him to take care of a few dozen not-yet freeswimming fry in a moving vehicle. If I had found a more experienced male like I had wanted they would be freeswimming already by today and transport wouldn't be stressful. I just found out today that the Green Bay aquarium society is having an auction on Sunday so I might decide I don't want to breed this male at all.

chrissycat21
03-15-2006, 05:51 PM
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you or anything with the advice. I've just seen too many people on other forums who just decide they want to breed bettas in a 5 gallon tank. :rolleyes:

Good luck with the spawning and keep us updated! :]